Los Angeles, CA
Musician Dave Grohl is giving special treats for fans and those who pre-order his new documentary 'Sound City' in the form of a DRM-free digital version of the documentary and a personal thank you note form Grohl himself.
'Sound City' is a documentary that follows the story and legacy of the famed Sound City studio in Los Angeles. It also features Grohl's interviews with musicians who have made it big in the music scene who used to record their work at Sound City, including
Considered as a work of pure passion, the independently produced 'Sound City,' available for pre-order for only $10, will premiere at the Sundance Festival in January and will be released on February 1, 2013.
Below is Grohl's letter, as released by antoquet.com:
Hey there … .
Thanks for scraping up your hard earned dough and buying the movie direct from our site! We're stoked! Hope you love it as much as we do … .
Ummm … … … Holy shit! I made a movie!
I started this project a little over a year ago with ONE of my good old friends (Jim Rota from the band Fireball Ministry). That's right … .just me, my drinking buddy, and a crazy idea that we should tell the story of a studio we had loved hanging around for years, and our heartbreak to see it close. It soon blossomed into something truly epic! I don't think either of us ever imagined our little project would become what it is now. Like all the best things in life, it just … … .happened.
From day one, it was the most incredible experience of my life. I swear. Sitting down with Neil Young talking about recording guitars, John Fogerty telling me about the day he decided to become a musician, Stevie Nicks telling me the story of how she joined Fleetwood Mac, Trent Reznor schooling me on the world of computers and digital technology, etc etc etc … ..can you imagine? All I had to do was listen … I am the luckiest man on earth.
And, being a completely independent film, no one told us how or what to do! Me and my crew of under 20 people did it OUR way. It was like a keg party with a camera. WE got to tell the story of a place we all held so dear. WE wanted to do it justice. And I think we did.
But, SOUND CITY is only part of the story … ..
What is it that happens when 4 people turn on, plug in, and really play that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up? What is it about those moments when you hear something and it immediately puts its hooks in you, and you feel … ..understood? What is it that will inspire the next generation of kids wanna do what I did when I was a little punk growing up in Springfield, Virginia? That feeling like, "Wait … … I can do this too … .."
That's what I'm talking about. That human connection. That human feel. That human sound … that isn't perfect … but it's sooooo good.
I really feel like SOUND CITY is my life's most important work. I hope you do too.
Psyched that you get to see it! Show it to your friends! Get together, start a band, sound like shit, and change the world. GO!
Thank you, thank you, thank you … … … Dave
- Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale Shares Stage in Surprise Duet
- Musician Dave Grohl Adds Special Treat for Pre-Orders of Documentary
- Jay-Z, Kanye West Among Big Names in 55th Annual Grammy Awards Nominations
- Lady Gaga Splurges on Michael Jackson Memorabilia at Auction
- New Album of Music Icon Jimi Hendrix to be Released
- Grammy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced
- Aerosmith Holds Free Concert in Front of Former Apartment in Boston
- Why Burning Man Inspires Me
- Nominees for 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Announced
- John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John Reunite for Christmas Album
- Foo Fighters to Take Indefinite Break from Playing
- Why Burning Man Inspires Me
- Green Day Announces Tour Dates for New Album Trilogy
- The Right Music for Every Part of Your Day
- Nominations for 2012 MTV Video Music Awards Announced
- New Beatles Compilation 'Tomorrow Never Knows' Hits iTunes
- Guns N' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers Among Inductees Into Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame
- It's Only The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, But
- Bruce Springsteen Captures The State of America
Copyright 2012, AHN - All Rights Reserved