We are witnessing the most extraordinary moment in the
Of course they included
What made all of this so striking is that most prognosticators had guessed that, after the
What's more, the U.S. correctly prevented passage of a statement in the
After the lopsided
Last year, the first time the Palestinian Authority contemplated taking its case to the U.N., Palestinian pollster
Next door in
Morsi stood fast and then forced the Islamist-dominated legislature to rush through a new constitution -- before the courts could, as they have threatened, abolish the Islamist constitution-writing committee.
The document offers pointed references to Shariah law that could give Islamists the ability to restrict freedom of speech, women's rights and other liberties. That spurred days of even larger street protests.
Still, the question remains: Who, exactly, are they recognizing? Rebels, thugs, al-Qaeda terrorists -- or all of the above? Late last month, a car bomb exploded in a
In response, it seemed,
For example, the United Nation's refugee agency reported that Syrian forces are shooting at Syrian civilians as they try to flee to
Americans for Peace Now and other liberal groups are urging
Stay tuned. Still more interesting days ahead.
- Egypt: The Roundabout Road Back To Tahrir
- Healthcare System Crumbling in Syria as War Rages
- Syria: Al Assad's Last Stand
- Every Day Brings New Drama in the Middle East
- Egypt and the Strategic Balance
- Gaza Clash Reveals Morsi's True Colors
- Syria: Is the World Waiting for Genocide?
- T-ball War in the Middle East
- To The Brink Again for Israel and Gaza
- What Exacly Would Israel Like to Do with Its Palestinian Population?
- 'Pharaoh' Morsi
- Egypt's 'Moderate' Despot
- Cease-Fire and the New Regional Dynamic
- Gaza Conflict Reverberates in the West Bank and Jordan
- Groundhog Day: Middle East Version
- Israel and Gaza: Then and Now
- Egypt, Gaza and the Sinai Peninsula
- Iran's Agenda in the Gaza Offensive
- The Impact of Syrian Refugees on Turkey and Jordan
- Divine Right Won't Save the Arab Kings
- Fast Food on the Frontline
- Israel's Netanyahu Continues to Burn Bridges
- Lighting Iran's Nuclear Fuse
- 'Responsibility to Protect' After Libya
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.