President Obama's makeup visit to
Relations between Obama and Israeli Prime Minister
But now that Obama has begun his second term, he realized that a frosty relationship with
"For the Jewish people, the journey to the promise of the state of
Nothing wrong with that; he got standing ovations.
But some Israeli right-wingers contorted what he said to fit their own goals. For example,
And during Obama's visit, Danon drew an absurd conclusion from the president's remarks, saying "recognition of the historic connection of the Jewish people to the land of
Of course Obama meant no such thing. He is an ardent foe of settlements, as are the leaders of every nation on earth that pays attention.
The truth is, however, Obama was the one who set off the dispute with Netanyahu, in 2009. That's when he urged
Settlements have been the major irritant between
That was hardly the first time an Israeli government had used settlements as a cudgel. But for Obama's trip, Netanyahu's government held back and made no similar announcements on the eve of his arrival. But
Not a government project, but it still got a lot of attention, including a prominent story in the
The problem is, while
Meeting with Abbas this trip, Obama reportedly urged him to back away from conditioning peace negotiations with
- Palestine After Fayyad: The Choice Between Cooperation and Conflict
- Turkey: PKK Fighters Begin Their Withdrawal to North Iraq
- The Path to Follow after Syria Crosses the Red Line
- Redlines and the Problems of Intervention in Syria
- Leadership, Not Locusts, is Egypt's Greatest Plague
- Iran's North Korean Nuclear Future
- Iran: Birth Control Flip Flops
- Saudi Arabia: Cyber-savvy Youth on the Rise
- Syria: Chess Match Turned Free-for-All
- Iran's Regional Quagmire
- The Saudi-Iranian Rivalry and the Future of Middle East Security
- Iran's Internal Politics
- Iran's Pursuit of Nuclear Weapons in a Regional Context
- Israeli Apology to Turkey Big First Step But Not Sea Change
- Israel's Insightful Cynicism
- Settlements Still Blocking Middle East Peace Agreement
- With Bus Segregation Israeli Apartheid Becomes More Blatant
- Is Egypt Being Primed for a Coup?
- The Somaliazation of Syria
- Western Intervention in Syria Long Overdue
- Promoting Peace, But Fueling War in Syria
- Flight of Fancy
- Would the Turkish Model Work in Arab Spring Countries?
- Kerry Talks Regional Issues With Gulf Arab Leaders
- Export Oil, Import Water: The Middle East's Risky Economics
- Syrians Risk Their Health to Keep Warm
- Evidence of Syrian Cluster Bomb Use
- Syrian Rebels Capture Most of Key City
- Iranian Nuclear Program World's 'Greatest Challenge'
- Self-Interested Leaders Roil Chaos in Middle East
- Is the American Shadow War Helping Yemen?
- Yemen Faces Talibanization
- Iraq: Washington Looks Away
- Iraq: Three Costly Lessons from the Invasion
- One Day The World Will Thank Bush For Shaking Up The Arab Region
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc., "Settlements Still Blocking Middle East Peace Agreement"