Retailer Stock Prospects Look Rosier This Year
Bling, sports apparel, electronics and plastic gift cards are expected to be the most desirable presents in this cautious 2010 holiday shopping season.
Investors must determine if favored gifts will translate into strong performances of the stocks of retailers that sell them.
"Cuff Love" is how
"Consumers seem excited by jewelry and accessories this year, which plays well into prospects of
"It will be an OK Christmas season, not gangbusters, but that's OK," said Driscoll. "By comparison, the 2008 season was a nightmare and people were freaked out, while last year was a little bit better with sales up modestly."
According to a consumer survey by the
"We expect a modest improvement in holiday sales this year compared to the last two years," said
While there will be promotions to drive consumers into stores, these will be planned promotions in which the retailers know in advance how they will be discounting their goods, Tan said. They shouldn't result in a negative hit to the bottom line.
Strong holiday athletic apparel sales will benefit
"The holiday mood is cautious for most consumers because, even though we're not seeing wide-scale layoffs, the hiring is still pretty weak at this point," said
Investors need to monitor the stocks of retailers carefully because stores go in and out of favor and it's not enough to simply like a company's products or service personally. Those with financial staying power stand out.
Promoting "The Most Smart Phones Under One Roof" this holiday season is
From phones to games to computers,
Those who proclaimed the death of department stores were premature in their assessment. Some will prosper this holiday season.
Finding a niche is crucial.
Online sales are growing rapidly each year. A
"Make a list, check it twice, click to give and wrap up holiday shopping in no time," is how
Available at Amazon.com:
- How Emotional Investing Affects Your Bottom Line
- How Quantative Easing 2 Could Affect Your Money
- Ways to Invest in the Dollar's Decline
- Legendary Fund Manager Bill Miller Sees Good Times Ahead
- Best Large-Cap Growth Mutual Funds for the Long Term
- Best Large-Cap Value Funds for the Long Term
- Foreign Bond Funds for Yield-Hungry Investors
- Funds for Easing Back into Stocks
- Why Low Expense Ratios Aren't Only Difference Between Index Funds
- Mutual Fund Performance Numbers Can Be Misleading
- Computer Giant HP Weathering the Drama
- Airline Stocks Take Off in 2010
- Retailer Stock Prospects Look Rosier This Year
- 6 Investing Mistakes Young People Make
- Inflation or Deflation: What's It Going to Be?
- How to Inflation-Proof Your Portfolio
- Easy ETF Portfolios for Any Age
- Gold's Hype May Blind Average Investors To Its Inherent Risk
- New ETF Holds Gold As Well As Silver, Platinum and Palladium
- To Be Truly Diversified, Do Investors Need Alternative Funds?
- The Best Short-Term Bond Funds for the Long Term
- How to Pick the Best Mutual Fund
- Why the Dow Usually Rallies After Midterm Elections
- Is a Retirement Income Fund Right for You?
- Index Annuities: Trick or Treat?
- Volatile Markets Beckon Beginning Investors
- Coca-Cola's Prospects Bubbling
- Balanced Mutual Funds Provide Defense
- International Growth Critical for Wal-Mart
- Global Financial Services Stocks Revive
- Cisco Systems Charging Hard Against Competitors
- Large Cap Stocks Move Up in 2010
- Betterment.com Brings Index Funds to the Masses
- Best Emerging Markets Funds for the Long Term
- 6 Reasons to Buy Dividend-Paying Stocks
- Why You Should Invest in Corporate Debt
- Risk Aversion Is Here to Stay
- Investors Lost Big Last Decade
- 3 Ways to Invest in the Financial Sector
- The Case for Investing in Commodities
- European Stocks as Contrarian Investment
- SIPC Considers Revamping Rules
- Will the Dramatic Run-Up in Real Estate Funds Last?
- 3 Ways to Use Index Funds
- How to Play It Safe With Muni Bonds
- Investing Strategies for This (Or Any) Market
- Mutual Funds for Dividend Junkies
- How to Navigate a Low-Rate Environment
- 5 Slow and Steady Funds for Skittish Investors
- Will the REITs Rally Continue?
- 3 Ways to Invest in the Real Estate Rally
- More You Know About Stocks & Industries; Less Volatility Will Rock Your World
- Investors Still Favor Bond Funds
- Valley Forge Fund: How a One-Man Mutual Fund Beats the Rest
- Mutual Fund Fee Reform: Multibillion-Dollar Sleight of Hand
- Avoiding a Bond Market Bubble
- Essential Sites For the ETF Novice
- When Choosing a Bond Fund Keep These Factors in Mind
- 3 Ways to Invest in the Small-Cap Rally
- Catastrophes and Your Investment Risk
- Mutual Fund Buzz: America the Beautiful
- Mutual Fund Buzz: Emerging Markets Get a Boost
- Is Your Portfolio Ready for A Double-Dip Recession?
- Anatomy of a Risky Target-Date Fund
- When is the Best Time to Buy An Immediate Annuity
- 5 Tips For the Average Investor
- Why Emerging Markets Belong in Your Portfolio
- What China's Currency Reform Means For Investors
- Financial Reform For the Retail Investor
- Target-Date Funds Are Not A 'Sure Bet'
- ETFs Can Be Volatile Too
- Chinese Growth Expected to Boost Asian Markets Long-Term
- 3 Mutual Funds to Steer Clear Of
- Mutual Fund Buzz: Alternatives On The Rise?
- Mutual Fund Buzz: The Tax Man Eyes The Fund Manager
- Mutual Fund Buzz: Bond Bubble?
- Ease Back Into Stocks With These Mutual Funds
- Value and Growth: Why Investors Need Both
- Investing Your Social Security Check? Consider These Factors
- New Efficiencies Should Help Alcoa as Recession Lifts
- Mutual Fund Fees: How Much is Too Much to Pay
- In Gold's Shadow: How Other Metals Fit Into Portfolios
- Should Investors Sit This One Out?
- There's No 'Perfect Time' to Dive Into Investing
- How to Keep Your Cool in a Turbulent Market
- How to Repair Your Damaged Portfolio
- Keep Bond Portfolio Broadly Diversified
- Why Not All Target-Date Funds Are Created Equal
- Five Tips to Avoid Confirmation Bias
- Financial Reform Legislation Gives Shareholders More Say
- Fiduciary Provision May Be Most Important Part of Financial Reform Bill
- What Gold Can and Cannot Do For You
- Why Your Portfolio Needs More Risk
- Read Mutual Fund Ads Critically
- Keep the Right Bonds in Your Portfolio
- European Debt Crisis Affects Investments
- 7 Valuable Lessons For Investors
- The Reality of Mutual Fund Returns
- Mutual Funds and a Changing Landscape
- Assembling a Sturdy Retirement Portfolio
- Funds for Recent College Grads
- Many 'Wide Moat' Companies Losing Competitive Advantage
- Who Got Hit Worst in the Market Crash
- Utility Stocks: Trade Flash for Dependable Payouts
- Formulate Strategy Before Diving Into Higher Risk Mutual Funds
- Contrarian Investors Target Promising Out-of-Favor Stocks
- Income Investors Face Challenges as Economy Shifts
- Can SEC Beat Goldman Sachs?
- Business Schools' Great Ethics Debate
- Investing for Retirement A Balancing Act
- Fees Can Take Big Bite Out of Retirement Fund Contributions
- Small-Cap Stocks Poised For Big Comeback
- John C. Bogle's Old-fashioned Investing Advice Still Applies
- 10 Great Mutual Funds You've Never Heard of
- Mutual Funds Fees & Expenses Only One Factor
- Why Investors Are Flocking to Index Funds
- Trend Setting Companies Target Hip Young Consumers
- Weakening European Stocks Offer Some Bargains for U.S. Investors
- Investing: What to Do About Inflation and What Not to Do
- Kick-Start a Portfolio With Just a Little Cash
- Exchange Traded Funds Offer Low-Cost Diversification
- Fresh Look at Socially Responsible Mutual Funds
- Technology Opens Doors for Investors
- Make the Most of Your Mutual Fund Money
- Fiduciary Standard for Giving Investment Advice
- 'Investment Rewards' Credit Cards Well Worth A Look
Investing - Retailer Stock Prospects Look Rosier This Year | Successful Investing
(c) 2010 Andrew Leckey