What does the company do? Manufactures cars and trucks
2009 Financial report:
Q. I am a
A. Prospects are good, although the auto industry is cyclical, meeting higher fuel standards is expensive, and labor will look to gain from the company's improved fortunes.
Despite a more upscale, quality image, the seller of Ford and Lincoln brands still has to combat the belief of some Americans that foreign vehicles are superior.
This firm that managed to avoid a government-supported reorganization is enjoying its strongest sales and profits in years, while reducing its debt load and improving its cash flow.
Ford (F) shares are up 7 percent this year following gains of 68 percent last year and 290 percent in 2009. Class A shares are available to any investor and carry one vote, while the Ford family always has 40 percent voting power through its ownership of Class B shares.
Overseas holds promise: Ford's
Ford placed highest among the volume brands in the 2010 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study. In the U.S., its F-150 truck, Fusion, Fiesta and Focus are especially popular, and it is also well ahead of competitors in its ability to use common vehicle platforms for various models.
Consensus analyst opinion on Ford shares is "buy," according to Thomson Reuters, consisting of four "strong buys," seven "buys," seven "holds" and one "underperform."
Ford expects to hire thousands of workers in the U.S. over the next two years. Its plans are to spread its small-car engineering expenses over 2 million small cars annually, providing an economy of scale that should permit the manufacturing of more affordable hybrid and electric vehicles.
The fully electric Focus makes its debut in late 2011 in the U.S. and 2012 in
Ford earnings are expected to rise 5 percent in 2011 versus the 6 percent decline predicted for the auto industry, according to Thomson Reuters. The five-year annualized growth rate is projected to be 19 percent compared to 21 percent forecast industry-wide.
Available at Amazon.com: The Triumph of Value Investing: Smart Money Tactics for the Postrecession Era
- Best Large-Cap Blend Funds for the Long Term
- What Will QE2's Legacy Be?
- Hybrids, Electrics and Overseas Growth Pushing Ford Motor
- Muni Bond Market Safer Than You Think
- Is Now the Time to Buy Municipal Bonds?
- SEC Takes Steps Toward Financial Planning Overhaul, But Issues Remain
- How to Invest for Income
- Forget the BRICs: How to Invest in Emerging Markets
- Can REITs Continue to Rally in 2011?
- How to Invest in Rising Oil Prices
- Research Vital to Finding Right Target-Date Retirement Fund
- Consumer Staples Positioned Well for the Recovery
- Municipal Bonds: Trouble Brewing or Media Hype?
- Best Mid-Cap Blend Mutual Funds for the Long Term
- The Case for Active ETFs
- Cash Rich Companies to Watch in 2011
- Google's Growth Could Slow But Still a Solid Buy
- Growth Expected to Continue in Emerging Markets in 2011
- How to Navigate the Bond Market in 2011
- Five Ways to Introduce Youngsters to Stock Investing
- The Outlook for Value Investing
- Best Small-Cap Blend Funds for the Long Term
- 8 Investing Resolutions for 2011
- Growth Versus Value Investing in 2011
- Big Tobacco Leader Altria Holding Steady Despite Worries
- ETFs Capture Market Attention & Investment
- 5 Investment Themes for 2011
- How to Take Advantage of a Weak Dollar
- Best Foreign Large-Cap Blend Funds for the Long Term
- Fed Moves Boost Stock Returns
- Bond Funds Really Can Lose Money
- Teach Your Kid a Lesson in Investing
- Experts Offer Advice on Investing in 2011
- Active Fed and Conservative Congress to Pave Uncertain Way
- Best Intermediate Municipal Bond Funds for the Long Term
- Fundamental ETFs Go Beyond Index Investing
- Investors Ease Back Into Stocks
- Why You Should Buy Stocks That Pay Dividends
- What Investors Can Learn from the Insider-Trading Scandal
- How Emotional Investing Affects Your Bottom Line
- How Quantative Easing 2 Could Affect Your Money
- Ways to Invest in the Dollar's Decline
- Legendary Fund Manager Bill Miller Sees Good Times Ahead
- Best Large-Cap Growth Mutual Funds for the Long Term
- Best Large-Cap Value Funds for the Long Term
- Foreign Bond Funds for Yield-Hungry Investors
- Funds for Easing Back into Stocks
- Why Low Expense Ratios Aren't Only Difference Between Index Funds
- Mutual Fund Performance Numbers Can Be Misleading
- Computer Giant HP Weathering the Drama
- Airline Stocks Take Off in 2010
- Retailer Stock Prospects Look Rosier This Year
- 6 Investing Mistakes Young People Make
- Inflation or Deflation: What's It Going to Be?
- How to Inflation-Proof Your Portfolio
- Easy ETF Portfolios for Any Age
- Gold's Hype May Blind Average Investors To Its Inherent Risk
- New ETF Holds Gold As Well As Silver, Platinum and Palladium
- To Be Truly Diversified, Do Investors Need Alternative Funds?
- The Best Short-Term Bond Funds for the Long Term
- How to Pick the Best Mutual Fund
- Why the Dow Usually Rallies After Midterm Elections
- Is a Retirement Income Fund Right for You?
- Index Annuities: Trick or Treat?
- Volatile Markets Beckon Beginning Investors
- Coca-Cola's Prospects Bubbling
- Balanced Mutual Funds Provide Defense
- International Growth Critical for Wal-Mart
- Global Financial Services Stocks Revive
- Cisco Systems Charging Hard Against Competitors
- Large Cap Stocks Move Up in 2010
- Betterment.com Brings Index Funds to the Masses
- Best Emerging Markets Funds for the Long Term
- 6 Reasons to Buy Dividend-Paying Stocks
- Why You Should Invest in Corporate Debt
- Risk Aversion Is Here to Stay
- Investors Lost Big Last Decade
- 3 Ways to Invest in the Financial Sector
- The Case for Investing in Commodities
- European Stocks as Contrarian Investment
- SIPC Considers Revamping Rules
- Will the Dramatic Run-Up in Real Estate Funds Last?
- 3 Ways to Use Index Funds
- How to Play It Safe With Muni Bonds
- Investing Strategies for This (Or Any) Market
- Mutual Funds for Dividend Junkies
- How to Navigate a Low-Rate Environment
- 5 Slow and Steady Funds for Skittish Investors
- Will the REITs Rally Continue?
- 3 Ways to Invest in the Real Estate Rally
- More You Know About Stocks & Industries; Less Volatility Will Rock Your World
- Investors Still Favor Bond Funds
- Valley Forge Fund: How a One-Man Mutual Fund Beats the Rest
- Mutual Fund Fee Reform: Multibillion-Dollar Sleight of Hand
- Avoiding a Bond Market Bubble
- Essential Sites For the ETF Novice
- When Choosing a Bond Fund Keep These Factors in Mind
- 3 Ways to Invest in the Small-Cap Rally
- Catastrophes and Your Investment Risk
- Mutual Fund Buzz: America the Beautiful
- Mutual Fund Buzz: Emerging Markets Get a Boost
- Is Your Portfolio Ready for A Double-Dip Recession?
- Anatomy of a Risky Target-Date Fund
- When is the Best Time to Buy An Immediate Annuity
- 5 Tips For the Average Investor
- Why Emerging Markets Belong in Your Portfolio
- What China's Currency Reform Means For Investors
- Financial Reform For the Retail Investor
- Target-Date Funds Are Not A 'Sure Bet'
- ETFs Can Be Volatile Too
- Chinese Growth Expected to Boost Asian Markets Long-Term
- 3 Mutual Funds to Steer Clear Of
- Mutual Fund Buzz: Alternatives On The Rise?
- Mutual Fund Buzz: The Tax Man Eyes The Fund Manager
- Mutual Fund Buzz: Bond Bubble?
- Ease Back Into Stocks With These Mutual Funds
- Value and Growth: Why Investors Need Both
- Investing Your Social Security Check? Consider These Factors
- New Efficiencies Should Help Alcoa as Recession Lifts
- Mutual Fund Fees: How Much is Too Much to Pay
- In Gold's Shadow: How Other Metals Fit Into Portfolios
- Should Investors Sit This One Out?
- There's No 'Perfect Time' to Dive Into Investing
- How to Keep Your Cool in a Turbulent Market
- How to Repair Your Damaged Portfolio
- Keep Bond Portfolio Broadly Diversified
- Why Not All Target-Date Funds Are Created Equal
- Five Tips to Avoid Confirmation Bias
- Financial Reform Legislation Gives Shareholders More Say
- Fiduciary Provision May Be Most Important Part of Financial Reform Bill
- What Gold Can and Cannot Do For You
- Why Your Portfolio Needs More Risk
- Read Mutual Fund Ads Critically
- Keep the Right Bonds in Your Portfolio
- European Debt Crisis Affects Investments
- 7 Valuable Lessons For Investors
- The Reality of Mutual Fund Returns
- Mutual Funds and a Changing Landscape
- Assembling a Sturdy Retirement Portfolio
- Funds for Recent College Grads
- Many 'Wide Moat' Companies Losing Competitive Advantage
- Who Got Hit Worst in the Market Crash
- Utility Stocks: Trade Flash for Dependable Payouts
- Formulate Strategy Before Diving Into Higher Risk Mutual Funds
- Contrarian Investors Target Promising Out-of-Favor Stocks
- Income Investors Face Challenges as Economy Shifts
- Can SEC Beat Goldman Sachs?
- Business Schools' Great Ethics Debate
- Investing for Retirement A Balancing Act
- Fees Can Take Big Bite Out of Retirement Fund Contributions
- Small-Cap Stocks Poised For Big Comeback
- John C. Bogle's Old-fashioned Investing Advice Still Applies
- 10 Great Mutual Funds You've Never Heard of
- Mutual Funds Fees & Expenses Only One Factor
- Why Investors Are Flocking to Index Funds
- Trend Setting Companies Target Hip Young Consumers
- Weakening European Stocks Offer Some Bargains for U.S. Investors
- Investing: What to Do About Inflation and What Not to Do
- Kick-Start a Portfolio With Just a Little Cash
- Exchange Traded Funds Offer Low-Cost Diversification
- Fresh Look at Socially Responsible Mutual Funds
- Technology Opens Doors for Investors
- Make the Most of Your Mutual Fund Money
- Fiduciary Standard for Giving Investment Advice
- 'Investment Rewards' Credit Cards Well Worth A Look
Investing - Hybrids, Electrics and Overseas Growth Pushing Ford Motor | Successful Investing
(c) 2011 TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC