Former Google CEO to Appear Before Senate for Anti-Trust Law Investigation
Former Google Chief Executive Eric Schmidt will appear before the Senate Judiciary anti-trust committee which is investigating the search engine firms for alleged abuse of power.
Prior to his Senate appearance, Schmidt talked with members of the Judiciary committee to convince them that Google is not breaching the U.S. anti-trust laws.
The probe, initiated in April by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission as part of a broad anti-trust investigation into Google's dominance of the Internet-search industry, is the result of Google's foray into other businesses in the cyber world.
Critics said because of Google's influence on what Internet users could and could not find on the search site, it may have been providing its other businesses such as mapping, travel and shopping better placement in search results.
The playing field is not level for smaller firms and consumers don't necessarily get the best results when they perform Google searches.
In its defense, Google said surfers are free to shift to other search engines if they are not satisfied with the results in Google and it places its own businesses higher to provide net searchers the answer they need immediately.
However, competitors such as travel search site Expedia pointed out that Google is pushing entire categories of successful popular sites at the bottom of search results.
Besides Schmidt, also set to appear before the senate hearing on Wednesday are shopping comparison site Nextag Chief Executive Jeff Katz, user review site Yelp co-founder and chief executive Jeremy Stoppelman and Google counsel Susan Creighton.
The European Union is also looking into Google's alleged anti-trust practices.
Observers said the scope of FTC's investigation of Google is similar to the Department of Justice's probe into Microsoft 10 years ago.
For more investing insight and money advice, visit iHaveNet's Wealth section
Available at Amazon.com: The Triumph of Value Investing: Smart Money Tactics for the Postrecession Era
- Investing in the Globe's Emerging Bright Spots
- How to Play Emerging Markets With U.S. Stocks
- What the Treasury Market Is Telling Investors
- Former Google CEO to Appear Before Senate for Anti-Trust Law Investigation
- Are ETFs to Blame for the Rise in Volatility?
- Low Interest Rates Support Higher Gold Price
- Gold ETFs Still Shine in a Diverse Portfolio
- Retirement Investors Who Make a Plan Better Equipped For Volatility
- Smoothest Mutual Funds Offer Stability in Volatile Times
- A Recovery Plan That Works
- Time for Boldness
- A President in Labor
- Government Needs to Help Job Creators and Middle Class Consumers
- Rick Perry Grabs 'Third Rail'
- Rick Perry's Plan to Help Blue States and Big Corporations
- For 2012, Sarah Palin's Time May Have Run Out
- Obama, Abroad, Is Adrift
- Disaster Relief or Corporate Greed -- Choice Should Be Easy
- Some Questions for Dick Cheney
- Back to School and Deeper in Debt
- Bin Laden's Unintended Legacy: Revealing True American Colors
- 9/11 Unity Is Just a Memory
- 9/11 and the Successful War
- Reasons to Remember 9-11
- Did 9/11 Weaken or Strengthen the United States?
- Captives to the Logic of Violence
- Why You Should Give ETFs a Try
- Target Date Funds Have Performed Better in Latest Market Downturn
- Green Technology Stocks Take Their Licks But Keep on Ticking
- Market Turbulence Forcing People to Reassess Gifting, Wills and Estates
- Why Investors Should Choose CDs Over Treasuries
- Are Gold Mining Stocks Set to Take Off?
- 6 Ways to Insulate Your Portfolio from Shocks
- 4 Things Investors Can Learn From Fairholme Fund's Struggles
- What the Latest Fed Policy Means for Your Money
- Weathering Turbulent Markets with Prudence and Patience
- How Do You Preserve Purchasing Power in a Tumultuous Economy?
- Steve Jobs Steps Down as Apple CEO
- HTC Files Another Lawsuit Against Apple
- United-Continental to Deploy 11,000 iPads to Pilots
- Warren Buffett 'Impressed' with Bank of America, Invests $5 Billion
- United-Continental to Deploy 11,000 iPads to Pilots
- General Motors to Manufacture Plug-In Cadillac Hybrid Electric Car
- Google Will Pay $500 Million to Settle Illegal Canadian Pharmacy Ads
- Google Acquires Motorola Mobility in $12.5bn Deal
- HP Unveils New Desktop, Vows Continued PC Support
- IBM Unveils Cognitive Thinking Chips
- The Case For and Against a Stockless Portfolio
- 3 Sites for Picking the Right ETFs for You
- High-Yield Bond Investing Not For the Faint of Heart
- What Standard and Poor's Ratings Downgrade Means for Investors
- Why There's a Disconnect Between Stocks and the Economy
- Investors Have Their Heads in Cloud Computing
- Bank of America Still Has Potential for Rebound
- What Happened to the Muni Bond Blowup
- 5 Factors That Drive Stock Prices
- Health Care a Sound Investment Despite Slow Economy and Reform
- Home Depot: Home Improvement Mecca Struggles to Stay Steady
- Asset Classes for Yield-Hungry Investors
- Defensive Investing Lets You Take Risk With Peace of Mind
- Unusual Stock Funds Intriguing, Still Judged on Performance
- Modern Investors Idolize Financial Hall of Famers
- 6 Risks Every Investor Faces
- The Appeal of Emerging Markets Bonds
- Do Your Investments Love You Back?
- 3M: Resilient Maker of Post-It Notes Tapes Together Solid Growth
- 6 Investing Ideas for Today's Slow-Growth Economy
- The Most Successful Companies Stay Relevant
- When Asset Size Matters in Fund Investing
- Investing Intelligently Yet Cautiously Key for Rest of 2011
- 50 Best Funds for the Everyday Investor
- 2 Bright Spots in Europe: Denmark and Norway
- 5 Ominous Signs for Stock Investors
- Executive Pay Zooming Skyward Again
- Bank Stocks Slow to Show Recovery But Could Be Turning the Corner
- United Technologies: Conglomerate Relies on Cyclical Growth Factors
- International Paper Company Thinks Inside the Box
- Why Copper Is the Metal to Watch
- Auto Industry Weathers High Fuel Prices
- 6 Numbers Every Investor Should Follow
- ETFs Not Just For Riverboat Gamblers
- What Investors Can Learn From the VIX
- How to Find Value Stocks
- Learning From Madoff
- PIMCO's Bill Gross Wades Into Active ETFs
- The Smaller the Better: Investing in Micro-caps
- Confidence Remains Strong in Global Markets Despite Crises
- What Standard & Poor's U.S. Outlook Downgrade Means
- The Appeal of Go-Anywhere Funds
- Demand and Disasters Complicate Global Energy Picture
- Russia Stocks Soar on Rising Oil Prices
- Energy and Construction Stocks Looking Good -- For Now
- What Investors Can Learn From Fund Flows
- High-priced Stocks Worth the Money?
- Investors Continue to Chase Short-Term Performance
- 5 Reasons Investors Should Not Bail on Japan
- What Happens After Quantative Easing 2 Ends?
- A Closer Look at Restaurant Stocks
- Adobe Overcomes Obstacles to Continue Its Rise
- Where to Find the Dividends Now
- What Style of Index Investing Is Right for You?
- The Case for (and Against) European Stocks
- Tech Stocks Volatile But Undeniably Strong
- Find This Year's Investing Strategy in Last Year's Return
- Why Big U.S. Stocks Look Like a Good Bet
- Diversification: Can You Have Too Much of a Good Thing?
- 5 Tax Tips for Mutual Fund Investors
- What's the Best Way to Buy Bonds?
- Realities of New Retirement Changing Investment Strategies
- How Contango Affects Your Investments
- Best Intermediate-Term Bond Funds for the Long Term
- Elephant-Sized Mutual Funds Slow to Adapt But Steady
- What Next for Gold? Is Gold's Latest Selloff a Turning Point?
- eBay: Competition and Changing Trends Cloud Online Marketplace's Future
- What the Egyptian Uprising Means for Investors
- 'Latin American Decade' or Wishful Thinking?
- Emerging Markets: Proceed With Caution
- Best Large-Cap Blend Funds for the Long Term
- What Will QE2's Legacy Be?
- Hybrids, Electrics and Overseas Growth Pushing Ford Motor
- Muni Bond Market Safer Than You Think
- Is Now the Time to Buy Municipal Bonds?
- SEC Takes Steps Toward Financial Planning Overhaul, But Issues Remain
- How to Invest for Income
- Forget the BRICs: How to Invest in Emerging Markets
- Can REITs Continue to Rally in 2011?
- How to Invest in Rising Oil Prices
- Research Vital to Finding Right Target-Date Retirement Fund
- Consumer Staples Positioned Well for the Recovery
- Municipal Bonds: Trouble Brewing or Media Hype?
- Best Mid-Cap Blend Mutual Funds for the Long Term
- The Case for Active ETFs
- Cash Rich Companies to Watch in 2011
- Google's Growth Could Slow But Still a Solid Buy
- Growth Expected to Continue in Emerging Markets in 2011
- How to Navigate the Bond Market in 2011
- Five Ways to Introduce Youngsters to Stock Investing
- The Outlook for Value Investing
- Best Small-Cap Blend Funds for the Long Term
- 8 Investing Resolutions for 2011
- Growth Versus Value Investing in 2011
- Big Tobacco Leader Altria Holding Steady Despite Worries
- ETFs Capture Market Attention & Investment
- 5 Investment Themes for 2011
- How to Take Advantage of a Weak Dollar
- Best Foreign Large-Cap Blend Funds for the Long Term
- Fed Moves Boost Stock Returns
- Bond Funds Really Can Lose Money
- Teach Your Kid a Lesson in Investing
Investing - Former Google CEO to Appear Before Senate for Anti-Trust Law Investigation | Google
(c) 2011 AHN - All Rights Reserved