Where to Save and Where to Spend on Interior Decorating
Decorating a home with an unlimited budget is easy. But the reality is most people have to pick and choose where to invest their money -- and where to save.
It helps to have some guidelines on what's worth the investment and what's not.
Accent on savings
If you're considering changing your decor, accessories have come a long way, baby. Home decorating has exploded in the past 20 years. You can now select from a huge array of great-looking, inexpensive accent pieces.
Save on upholstery
Even inexpensive upholstered pieces today hold up well enough for you to get good use out of them. Better yet, you won't be invested so heavily that you don't dare make a change. But do splurge on the fabric treatment. The first glass of red wine that's spilled will find you grateful you did.
Save on lighting
Lamps are available in more than the tried-and-true ginger jar of yesteryear and can be found in a wide variety of price ranges. Whether you shop online or at your local home center, there's good lighting selection now at terrific prices.
Invest in wood
Well-built wood furniture will withstand the whims of time and the style changes. Plus, it's just plain sturdier. Good quality dressers and tables will withstand more wear and tear and hold up when you trade up or move.
Splurge on art
Although there are great bargains available today, the problem with buying off-the-rack art is that your house will look like a dentist's office. Genuine original pieces don't have to cost an arm and a leg. Many communities have art festivals where your can pick up one-of-a-kind items to give your home that special panache,
Don't skimp on sleep
Without a doubt, the greatest investment in home furnishings should be in a great quality mattress. A good mattress will help you sleep better, and a better night means a better day, every day.
Patio furniture has to withstand sun, rain and extreme temperatures. If your patio furniture stays outside year-round, buy good quality pieces that will wear well. It might seem silly to invest in outdoor furniture, but if you buy a cheap set and it only lasts one summer, you'll regret the decision.
It's not always easy to decide where to concentrate your purchasing power when decorating your home. But, by choosing wisely, your furnishings -- and your money -- will last longer and go further, and your home will be stylish.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Where to Save and Where to Spend on Interior Decorating
- Wanna Get Away? Tropical Plants Can Help
- 10 Sneaky Ways to Get Organized
- A Better Load of Laundry
- Everyday Chores Get Greener
- Soothe Winter's Chill With a Steam Shower
- Houseplants Add Life to Your Winter
- Is Your Bedroom Decor Keeping You up?
- Seed Catalogs Trumpet the Promise of Spring
- Turning Down the Thermostat? Your Cyclamen Will Thank You
- A Room With a View: Clever Decorating Can Improve Your Vista
- Get Your Kitchen Drawers Organized Once and For All
- 10 New Year's Resolutions For Your Living Space
- Fantastic Faux Finishes
- Evergreens Add Color: Interest in Otherwise Dull Winter Landscape
- What to Do in a Frozen Pipe Emergency
- In Cold Climates, Go Deep With Rigid Foam Insulation
- Getting the Most Out of Your Garage Flooring
- Falling Short on Christmas Decorating? Try These Last-Minute Tricks
- Stay Toasty and Save Energy This Winter
- Give Your Office a Boost
- Ease Stress With These 10 Holiday Home Time Savers
- Mirrors: A Decorative Reflection
- Granite Tile Instead of Slab for Countertop
- Cut Your Carbon Footprint and Save Money With New Gadgets
- Amaryllis: Bright Blooms for Winter
- Restock Your Kitchen With Holiday Bargains
- Winter Bedding Tips to Help You Sleep Better
- Flash From the Past: Growing Begonias Indoors
- How to Install a Ceramic-tile Backsplash
- 7 Inventive Ways to Redeck Your Halls
- 6 No-brainer Time-savers
- Living Room Arrangement Inspires Conversational Holiday Gatherings
- How to Set a Beautiful Holiday Table
- Perk Up Your Powder Room Before the Holidays
- Key to Happy Houseplants: Low Maintenance
- Time to Bring the Garden Inside
- Budget-friendly Kitchen Makeover Ideas
- How to Organize Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Dining Table Scuffed and Scratched?
- Outdated light fixture?
- Front door looking shabby?
- Where to Store Certain Foods in the Refridgerator
- Give Your Kitchen a Facelift Before the Holidays
- Spruce Up Entryway for the Holidays Ahead
- Paperwhite Narcissus: Indoor Blooms for Winter
- How to Save Your Dahlia Tubers Over Winter
- Order Too Many Bulbs? No Problem: Just Pot Them
- For a Beautiful and Long-Lasting Deck Nothing Beats Redwood
- How Healthy Is Your Bedroom?
- One-day Home Makeover
- How to Spot an Energy Efficient Dishwasher
- Have a broken or annoying doorbell?
- Creating the Ultimate Spa Bath
- A Laundry Room to Love
- Seven Ways to Make Your Home Sparkle This Fall
- Crisp Weather Signals Time to Plant Bulbs
- Getting and Keeping Your Garden in Shape for Next Spring
- Right Kind of Brick Pavers Make Your Sidewalk Last
- More to Stone Retaining Walls Than Meets the Eye
- How to Create a Kitchen Baking Center
- The Planet-Friendly Kitchen
- Signs It's Time to Replace Your Microwave Oven
- Weather-Stripping Windows
- Short on Shelf Space?
- As Cool Season Approaches Don't Give Up on the Garden
- Use Bold Red to Energize a Room
- Easy and Cheap Home Decorating Ideas
- 5 Signs It's Time to Replace Your Refrigerator
- Guide to Buying a Cooktop
- Guide to Buying a Dishwasher
- Are Your Doorknobs Dating Your Home?
- Squeaky staircase driving you crazy?
- Cut a Three-Hour House Cleaning Down to 30 Minutes
- Best Way To Clean Your Oven
- Is Your Indoor Air Clean Enough?
- Homegrown Stain Busters
- Transform Your Trash
- How Does Composting Work?
- Finding Vacation Home Bargains
- How Your Home Offices Can Make You More Productive
- Makeover Solutions for Problem Fireplaces
- Cozy Feel of Country Style Is Right for Fall
- Make Your Garden a Late Summer Pit Stop for Migratory Hummingbirds
- Plant Containers: Front and Center
- Blotches on Composite Decking Easily Tackled with Oxygen Bleach
- Fall Cleaning 101
- How to Make Your Refrigerator Last Longer
- Lamplight too bright?
- Guide to Buying a Kitchen Range
- Transform Boring Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Historic Places to Retire
- The Wonder of Wildflowers in the Garden
- Decorating with Nature: Corncob as Paint Roller
- The Habits of Keeping a Clean House
- Floor Radiant Heat
- Moving Television Creates TV Cable Complications
- Jillian Reynolds: The Glamorous Homebody
- Boxing Champ Floyd Mayweather King of His Las Vegas Castle
- Actress Melora Hardin Treasures Time at Home, Far From 'The Office'
- Taboo's Shoe Closet Is of Epic Proportions
- 9 Reasons to Choose a New Home Over a Resale
- Rethink Decorating Your Hallways
- Green Your Kid: Gardening
- Kitchen Makeover on a Budget
- Installing Vinyl Tiles
- When to Replace Your Wall Oven
- Packing for a Move Is an Art Unto Itself
- Dynamite Dorm Rooms that Deliver
- 8 Paint Tips Trick Out Your House with Color
- How to Install a Ceramic Tile Backsplash
- Best Way to Waterproof and Revive Your Deck
- Growing a Green Garden - How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Attractive Flexible Screen Let's the Breeze In
- Set Mood for Evenings on Patio with Homemade Lanterns
- Planet-friendly Parties
- The Flexible Guest House: Adding On by Adding Out
- How to Design a Kitchen Island
- How to Hang Your Flat Screen TV
- How to Slash Your Electricity Bill This Summer
- 5 Easy Ways to Green Your Home
- Create Endless Summer with Seaside Style
- Touch of Patina: What Copper Can Do for Your Garden
- When Buying Garage Door Opener It Pays to Go with Quality
- How Green Is Your Bathroom?
- Grow Your Garden Naturally
- Blowing in the Wind: Flags for the Garden
- Better H2O at Home
- 6 Ways You're Wasting Water Right Now
- Take Steps to Fight a House Fire Before It Starts
- Banish Toxic Dust From Your Home
- With Small Rooms Resist the Urge to Be Minimalist
- Installing a New Kitchen Backsplash
- Feng Shui for Your Home
- Turn a Clean Home Into a Healthy Home
- Coconut Lights Add an Exotic Touch to Summer Nights
- Peaches: Cultivating Backyard Mini-Orchard Not That Hard
- Are You Neglecting Your Barbecue?
- Aromatic Lavender: Not as Hard to Grow as You Might Think
- Installing a Vintage Bathtub
- Master Bedroom Design: Making His and Hers Theirs
- White: The Hot Cool New Color of Interior Design
- Night-Blooming Plants to Impart Scents of Summer
- Closet Organization Made Easy
- Summertime Swaps: Quick Changes to Lighten Up Your Home Decor
- Best Tools and Materials Are Key to Good Paint Job
- Hydrangeas Offer Impressive Palette to Gardener
- Hot New Trend Is Cool Asian Design
- Growing Potatoes in the Garden Easier than You Think
- Banish Tar: Get a Greener Driveway
- Asphalt vs. Concrete Driveways
- Staining a Deck
- Modern Homesteading: How to Live Better on Less
- Better Sleep Begins with Good Bedroom Design
- Kitchen Hoods Take Center Stage
- Kitchen Cabinets that Conceal Appliances
- 15 Fresh Ways to Use Wallpaper
- 10 Ways to Reduce Your Summer Utility Bills
- Antidote for a Dull Planter: Chocolaty Goodness
- 10 Ways to Reuse and Save
- Hosting a Successful Yard Sale
- What to Do With Spring Cleaning Purges
- A Beeswax Balm You Can Make Yourself
- Keep Your House Spring-clean
- Exterior Lighting Makes Home More Appealing and Safer
- No Room for a Vegetable Garden? Think Again
- Food Scraps That Help Your Garden Thrive
- Designing a Nursery Around Color
- Birch Beautiful on the Table As Well As in Nature
- 5 Money-saving Gardening Tips
- Straighten Up in an Instant
- Deck Patio Rooftop Garden Ideas
- Growing a Family Garden
- 12 Hidden Costs of Homeownership
- Nine Ways to Make Your Home More Appealing to Buyers
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Concrete Ideas on Turning Construction Leftovers into Garden Fixtures
- Attractive and Durable DIY Garden Vine Trellis
- How to Green Your Baby's Nursery
- 6 Simple Home Repair Jobs You Can Do Yourself
- How to Create a Crafty Home
- Better Spring Cleaning with Less Effort & More Fun
- Energy-Efficient Updates Help Homeowners Save Cash
- Don't Just Let that Rainwater Go Down the Drain
Copyright © 2011, Living Space. DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC