Seven Ways to Make Your Home Sparkle This Fall
Make Your Home Sparkle
What's more inviting than a dining room with a glittering chandelier and sparkling crystal and china? This fall, focus on cleaning tasks that make your home shine
Enter a posh hotel and one of the first things you notice is the way it sparkles. From the crystal chandeliers to the brass stair railings, a truly great hotel gleams. You can bring the same sparkle to your home -- and fall is the best time to do it, before the waning light of winter sets in. Here are some cleaning tips to make your home glitter -- and make you shimmer with pride.
1. Make your windows shine
Clean, sparkling windows make the whole house look clean. To wash windows super-fast, add two tablespoons of sudsy ammonia to a gallon of warm water. Use a sponge to spread the solution onto windows and a squeegee to wipe it off. Remove any streaks with a microfiber towel. For extra sparkle, follow with a wipe of a microfiber polishing cloth.
2. Clean the oven
The fall's warm apple pies are less appealing when you pull them out of a grimy oven. Set your oven to the "clean" setting when you're at home. Once it's cooled, wipe down with paper towels and clear water. Clean grates with a commercial oven-cleaning product and scour with a soap-filled scouring pad to make them shine.
3. Give your wood furniture a shine with furniture oil
Dry, dull wood lacks a warm luster. Lemon or orange oil products will protect wood and give it a nice sheen. Use sparingly and be sure to polish thoroughly, wiping off any excess so that the wood has a nice patina but doesn't look oily.
4. Make your china cabinet sparkle like a jewelry box
Although it's closed up, china cabinets still attract dust. And with the holidays coming up, a china cabinet that's cleaned, dust-free, and full of gleaming china and crystal will be ready for use when holiday parties and dinners roll around. Start by putting a waterproof pad on your dining table and emptying out your china cabinet. Wash and polish china and crystal. Clean cabinet shelves and polish any glass or mirror in your cabinet, and then replace with the clean service pieces.
5. Make your chandelier shimmer
If your chandelier is very high or very intricate, your best bet might be to find a lighting company that offers cleaning service. If you want to clean your chandelier yourself, first move the dining table out from underneath the light. Then, turn off the electricity at the panel. Make a solution of distilled water and ammonia; distilled water won't leave residue on delicate crystals. Wipe the crystals with a wet cloth and follow with a polish from a dry cloth. Let dry for two or three days before turning the electricity back on.
6. Polish metal fittings
If you have brass or other hardware on furniture, doors, railings or switch plates, give them a polish with a brass polishing liquid to clean the fittings. Wipe them clean, and then using a polishing cloth to buff and make the metal shine.
7. Get a jump on holiday dinners with sparkling silver
Before you start your holiday menu planning, get your silver serving pieces out and polish them. Then, when it's time to set your table, the silver will be ready, waiting and sparkling. Store in zippered plastic bags with the air removed to keep silver completely tarnish free.
Available at Amazon.com:
- How to Spot an Energy Efficient Dishwasher
- Have a broken or annoying doorbell?
- Creating the Ultimate Spa Bath
- A Laundry Room to Love
- Seven Ways to Make Your Home Sparkle This Fall
- Crisp Weather Signals Time to Plant Bulbs
- Getting and Keeping Your Garden in Shape for Next Spring
- Right Kind of Brick Pavers Make Your Sidewalk Last
- More to Stone Retaining Walls Than Meets the Eye
- How to Create a Kitchen Baking Center
- The Planet-Friendly Kitchen
- Signs It's Time to Replace Your Microwave Oven
- Weather-Stripping Windows
- Short on Shelf Space?
- As Cool Season Approaches Don't Give Up on the Garden
- Use Bold Red to Energize a Room
- Easy and Cheap Home Decorating Ideas
- 5 Signs It's Time to Replace Your Refrigerator
- Guide to Buying a Cooktop
- Guide to Buying a Dishwasher
- Are Your Doorknobs Dating Your Home?
- Squeaky staircase driving you crazy?
- Cut a Three-Hour House Cleaning Down to 30 Minutes
- Best Way To Clean Your Oven
- Is Your Indoor Air Clean Enough?
- Homegrown Stain Busters
- Transform Your Trash
- How Does Composting Work?
- Finding Vacation Home Bargains
- How Your Home Offices Can Make You More Productive
- Makeover Solutions for Problem Fireplaces
- Cozy Feel of Country Style Is Right for Fall
- Make Your Garden a Late Summer Pit Stop for Migratory Hummingbirds
- Plant Containers: Front and Center
- Blotches on Composite Decking Easily Tackled with Oxygen Bleach
- Fall Cleaning 101
- How to Make Your Refrigerator Last Longer
- Lamplight too bright?
- Guide to Buying a Kitchen Range
- Transform Boring Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Historic Places to Retire
- The Wonder of Wildflowers in the Garden
- Decorating with Nature: Corncob as Paint Roller
- The Habits of Keeping a Clean House
- Floor Radiant Heat
- Moving Television Creates TV Cable Complications
- Jillian Reynolds: The Glamorous Homebody
- Boxing Champ Floyd Mayweather King of His Las Vegas Castle
- Actress Melora Hardin Treasures Time at Home, Far From 'The Office'
- Taboo's Shoe Closet Is of Epic Proportions
- 9 Reasons to Choose a New Home Over a Resale
- Rethink Decorating Your Hallways
- Green Your Kid: Gardening
- Kitchen Makeover on a Budget
- Installing Vinyl Tiles
- When to Replace Your Wall Oven
- Packing for a Move Is an Art Unto Itself
- Dynamite Dorm Rooms that Deliver
- 8 Paint Tips Trick Out Your House with Color
- How to Install a Ceramic Tile Backsplash
- Best Way to Waterproof and Revive Your Deck
- Growing a Green Garden - How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Attractive Flexible Screen Let's the Breeze In
- Set Mood for Evenings on Patio with Homemade Lanterns
- Planet-friendly Parties
- The Flexible Guest House: Adding On by Adding Out
- How to Design a Kitchen Island
- How to Hang Your Flat Screen TV
- How to Slash Your Electricity Bill This Summer
- 5 Easy Ways to Green Your Home
- Create Endless Summer with Seaside Style
- Touch of Patina: What Copper Can Do for Your Garden
- When Buying Garage Door Opener It Pays to Go with Quality
- How Green Is Your Bathroom?
- Grow Your Garden Naturally
- Blowing in the Wind: Flags for the Garden
- Better H2O at Home
- 6 Ways You're Wasting Water Right Now
- Take Steps to Fight a House Fire Before It Starts
- Banish Toxic Dust From Your Home
- With Small Rooms Resist the Urge to Be Minimalist
- Installing a New Kitchen Backsplash
- Feng Shui for Your Home
- Turn a Clean Home Into a Healthy Home
- Coconut Lights Add an Exotic Touch to Summer Nights
- Peaches: Cultivating Backyard Mini-Orchard Not That Hard
- Are You Neglecting Your Barbecue?
- Aromatic Lavender: Not as Hard to Grow as You Might Think
- Installing a Vintage Bathtub
- Master Bedroom Design: Making His and Hers Theirs
- White: The Hot Cool New Color of Interior Design
- Night-Blooming Plants to Impart Scents of Summer
- Closet Organization Made Easy
- Summertime Swaps: Quick Changes to Lighten Up Your Home Decor
- Best Tools and Materials Are Key to Good Paint Job
- Hydrangeas Offer Impressive Palette to Gardener
- Hot New Trend Is Cool Asian Design
- Growing Potatoes in the Garden Easier than You Think
- Banish Tar: Get a Greener Driveway
- Asphalt vs. Concrete Driveways
- Staining a Deck
- Modern Homesteading: How to Live Better on Less
- Better Sleep Begins with Good Bedroom Design
- Kitchen Hoods Take Center Stage
- Kitchen Cabinets that Conceal Appliances
- 15 Fresh Ways to Use Wallpaper
- 10 Ways to Reduce Your Summer Utility Bills
- Antidote for a Dull Planter: Chocolaty Goodness
- 10 Ways to Reuse and Save
- Hosting a Successful Yard Sale
- What to Do With Spring Cleaning Purges
- A Beeswax Balm You Can Make Yourself
- Keep Your House Spring-clean
- Exterior Lighting Makes Home More Appealing and Safer
- No Room for a Vegetable Garden? Think Again
- Food Scraps That Help Your Garden Thrive
- Designing a Nursery Around Color
- Birch Beautiful on the Table As Well As in Nature
- 5 Money-saving Gardening Tips
- Straighten Up in an Instant
- Deck Patio Rooftop Garden Ideas
- Growing a Family Garden
- 12 Hidden Costs of Homeownership
- Nine Ways to Make Your Home More Appealing to Buyers
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Concrete Ideas on Turning Construction Leftovers into Garden Fixtures
- Attractive and Durable DIY Garden Vine Trellis
- How to Green Your Baby's Nursery
- 6 Simple Home Repair Jobs You Can Do Yourself
- How to Create a Crafty Home
- Better Spring Cleaning with Less Effort & More Fun
- Energy-Efficient Updates Help Homeowners Save Cash
- Don't Just Let that Rainwater Go Down the Drain
Copyright © 2010 Kathryn Weber, Living Space. All rights reserved.