Make Dad's Day With a Customized Home Bar
Outfitting a Home Bar
Outfitting a home bar isn't difficult and your efforts are sure to be more appreciated -- and enjoyed -- than another tie!
If Dad likes to come home and stir, pour, or uncork a cold drink, a customized bar would make a terrific
DAD'S FAVORITE DRINK
A home bar should be able to accommodate such standard beverages as beer, wine, spirits and mixers, but you may want to focus on one type of drink more than another. Use Dad's favorite beverage to guide your decisions. Give the bar more wine flair if Dad's fond of the grape, or focus on beer if that's his favorite.
PICK A BAR, ANY BAR
As for the design, you could start with a bar you already have; retrofit a piece of used furniture, such as an armoire, china cabinet, or antique buffet; or build something from scratch.
A quick online search will turn up plenty of ready-made bar models, like those at www.home-bars-online.com. If you're more interested in a custom model, www.barplan.com has an inexpensive package that includes eight of the most common home bar designs. Whichever model you choose, make sure there's room to store alcohol upright, wine on its side, and plenty of space for drink ware and other accessories.
OUTFITTING YOUR BAR
You'll need a variety of drink supplies. First, stock the bar with vodka, gin, tequila, rum, scotch and bourbon. You may want to add liqueurs, such as amaretto, sherry and port, or stronger after-dinner drinks such as brandy or cognac.
If there's room, a refrigerated beverage center is a terrific add, enabling you to store cold drinks like club soda, beer and wine together, but at the correct temperatures for each. Stock up on tools, including a shaker, strainer, ice bucket, tongs, and pitcher for martinis. Glassware is another necessity. Depending on the type of drinks Dad prefers, provide at least six glasses in a variety of shapes, such as pilsner for beer, wine, shot, highball, liqueur, and martini glasses. If Dad's a fan of pina coladas and daiquiris, add those glasses and a heavy-duty blender.
GIVE IT STYLE
Details count when customizing a home bar. Personalize Dad's gift with bar napkins, coasters, swizzle sticks and matches custom-printed with his name from sites like www.foryourparty.com. To add extra flair, accessorize with items spotlighting Dad's preferred libation. Authentic English pub towels and signs are available online at www.thepubshoppe.com. Check www.wineenthusiast.com for accents like monogrammed glasses, corkscrews and stoppers, decanters, even wine barrel furniture.
Lastly, why not throw in a good bar book with great drink recipes? When you finally unveil your
Available at Amazon.com:
- 6 Can't Fail Sofa Buying Tips
- Tips for Holding a Successful Garage Sale
- Cut Back on Summer Spending
- Make Dad's Day With a Customized Home Bar
- How to Lavish Less Labor and More Love on Your Garden
- Banish Bathroom Counter Clutter With Clever Storage
- Creating a Beautiful Garden Can Be as Easy as Getting Dressed in the Morning
- The (Air) Drying Chronicles
- Cooking Ranges: Should You Go Pro?
- Tweak Your Home Decor for Summer
- Some of the Best Gardening Happens Where the Sun Doesn't Shine
- How to Cut Your Air-Conditioning Costs
- Moving Day: 10 Ways to Take the Stress Out of Packing
- Feeling Overwhelmed by Garden Tasks? Make a List and Get to Work
- Time to Make Habitat for Returning Birds
- Create A Girl's Bedroom Fit For A Princess
- How Feng Shui Can Improve Your Life
- How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Go Green and Improve Happiness
- New Uses for Old Things: Household Odds and Ends
- Homeowner Savings Tips: What You Might Not Know
- Sure-to-Please Home Decorating Ideas
- Planting Strawberry Jars for Spring Color
- 5 Elements Guarantee a Perfect Outdoor Living Area
- Paint Your Kitchen 'Green' With These Eco-friendly Tips
- Trends in Painting: Is Faux Over?
- How to Have a Gorgeous and Organized Kitchen
- Shovel-Ready Project: Dividing Your Perennials
- Can Clutter Make You Sick?
- A Rose Is a Rose Is an Heirloom Rose
- Banquette Seating Makes For Cozy and Comfy Dining
- Controlling Dust in the Home Is a Never-Ending Task
- Fireplace Facelift Not a Job for the Faint of Heart
- Gorgeous and Glamorous Gray Goes the Distance
- Easy Eco-friendly Spring-cleaning
- 30 Top-To-Bottom Spring Cleaning Tips
- Too Cold to Plant? You Can Still Get Ahead of Garden Maintenance
- Area Rugs to the Rescue
- Rarin' to Get Planting? Here's What You Can Do Now
- Freshen Up Your House Whole House For Spring
- Don't Overlook Bulbs of Summer; Now Is Time to Plan Planting
- Time to Ready Your Backyard for Return of Avian Tenants
- You Can Pick Up Furniture Bargains In Unexpected Ways
- No Room for a Cellar? Create a Wine Closet
- Greener Living 101
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Spring-cleaning Checklist for Your Health and Your House
- Teen Decor That Puts the Cool in School
- Late Winter Is Time for Pruning and Forcing
- Key to Extraordinary Garden: Starting Your Own Seeds
- Barclay Butera: Create Modern Rooms Simply By Changing the Walls
- Four Common Eco-mistakes
- Are Vinyl Shower Curtains Safe?
- Where to Save and Where to Spend on Interior Decorating
- Wanna Get Away? Tropical Plants Can Help
- 10 Sneaky Ways to Get Organized
- A Better Load of Laundry
- Everyday Chores Get Greener
- Soothe Winter's Chill With a Steam Shower
- Houseplants Add Life to Your Winter
- Is Your Bedroom Decor Keeping You up?
- Seed Catalogs Trumpet the Promise of Spring
- Turning Down the Thermostat? Your Cyclamen Will Thank You
- A Room With a View: Clever Decorating Can Improve Your Vista
- Get Your Kitchen Drawers Organized Once and For All
- 10 New Year's Resolutions For Your Living Space
- Fantastic Faux Finishes
- Evergreens Add Color: Interest in Otherwise Dull Winter Landscape
- What to Do in a Frozen Pipe Emergency
Copyright © 2011, Living Space. DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC