Easy Design Ideas Create Intimate and Romantic Dining Room
Long and lingering evening meals with wine and candlelight are the ultimate in romance. However, under today's budget constraints, dining out at fine restaurants might not be on the menu. That doesn't mean you have to sacrifice that romantic atmosphere you love. A few tweaks and changes can turn your dining room into a chic and elegant spot that will feel indulgently opulent for far less than a nice meal out.
UP THE AMBIANCE
Ambiance is the key to creating a dining room that oozes romance. Decide on a look and style you want, then pull in rich colors and fabrics that coordinate with that style. Don't be timid but think grand and elegant. Dark woods and heavy fabrics are mainstays of romantic dining, and many dining room chair seats can be easily recovered. If not, inexpensive velvet chair covers can give your chairs more romantic appeal. The next step is to look carefully at lighting.
A single source of light, such as a single chandelier, takes the romance out of a room. Instead, lighting should come from a variety of sources, such as sconce lighting and candles, creating a layered effect. A
For secondary lighting, a nice option is lighting close to the ceiling. Try installing crown molding about six inches lower than the ceiling, then adding rope lighting inside. You'll need an electrician to wire an outlet for the lights before the molding goes up, and have a switch wired to the plug. When these lights are turned on, the ceiling will be aglow in a burnished light. Another good lighting source is candles. Place a tall, standing floor candelabra or candle holder at one corner of the room.
Whatever you do, think twinkle. Whether from the flickering flame of a candle or from small white twinkle lights in a silk tree, small lights can put a twinkle in your evening. Add some gilded or shiny elements, such as mirrors and gold- or silver-leafed accessories, for the light to bounce off and create a soft glow in the room.
If you have carving on any of your furniture, try highlighting it with some gold paint to pull out the details and add elegance.
To recreate that romantic restaurant coziness, add a heavy curtain across the opening to the dining room. If your home has an open design, consider placing a large standing room divider in the space to make it more intimate. Even a large rug under the dining table will help pull the room in. Be sure to leave 18-to-24 inches around the table. Throw on a rich damask tablecloth, then contrast it with a coordinating smaller table cloth turned on the diagonal.
Add some metallic plate chargers and you'll have an opulent dining room that will become your first choice for a romantic dinner.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Interesting Foliage and Fall Blooms Make These Perennials Winners
- Easy Design Ideas Create Intimate and Romantic Dining Room
- Your Pillow Could Be Robbing You Of a Good Night's Sleep
- Price Drops and Financing Options Boost the Appeal of Solar
- Top 10 Cleaning Myths You Need to Know
- Sensual Fall Bedroom Fixes Emphasize Easy Opulence
- Late-Season Bloomers Keep the Garden Party Going
- Fall Is for Planting and Getting Good Deals at the Nursery
- Introducing Privacy to Open Concept Living
- White Kitchen Redux Has Balanced and Timeless Appeal
- Are Net-Zero Energy Houses on the Horizon?
- Easy Home-value Boosters
- The $50 Living Room Makeover
- How to Revive Your Home in a Weekend
- The Planet-Friendly Kitchen
- 10 Great 'Green' Home Improvements for 2011
- Dog Days of August: Time to Think of Planting for Fall
- Top 10 Interior Decorating Mistakes
- Will This Home Renovation Pay Off?
- 9 Reasons to Buy a Newly Built Home
- Fur Fight: Taming Pet Hair in Your Home
- Insect Control Is for the Birds
- Blueberries From Your Own Backyard
- What's My Carbon Footprint?
- Reusing and Recycling 101
- Common Sources of Odor and How to Eliminate the Smell
- Agapanthus: A Beautiful Option for Busy Gardeners
- Here Comes the Sun: Don't Let Summer Heat Deter You from Gardening
- Tips To Help Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
- Accessorize Your Home Like a Pro
- A Personal Gym Brings Your Workout Home
- Small-Space Gardening: When the Back 40 Is on Your Porch Railing
- The Way You Water
- 6 Can't Fail Sofa Buying Tips
- Tips for Holding a Successful Garage Sale
- Open Shelves: Designer Trend or Decorating Disaster?
- Stars of the Garden Can Be Leafy Rather Than Blooming
- Cut Back on Summer Spending
- Make Dad's Day With a Customized Home Bar
- How to Lavish Less Labor and More Love on Your Garden
- Banish Bathroom Counter Clutter With Clever Storage
- Creating a Beautiful Garden Can Be as Easy as Getting Dressed in the Morning
- The (Air) Drying Chronicles
- Cooking Ranges: Should You Go Pro?
- Tweak Your Home Decor for Summer
- Some of the Best Gardening Happens Where the Sun Doesn't Shine
- How to Cut Your Air-Conditioning Costs
- Moving Day: 10 Ways to Take the Stress Out of Packing
- Feeling Overwhelmed by Garden Tasks? Make a List and Get to Work
- Time to Make Habitat for Returning Birds
- Create A Girl's Bedroom Fit For A Princess
- How Feng Shui Can Improve Your Life
- How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Go Green and Improve Happiness
- New Uses for Old Things: Household Odds and Ends
- Homeowner Savings Tips: What You Might Not Know
- Sure-to-Please Home Decorating Ideas
- Planting Strawberry Jars for Spring Color
- 5 Elements Guarantee a Perfect Outdoor Living Area
- Paint Your Kitchen 'Green' With These Eco-friendly Tips
- Trends in Painting: Is Faux Over?
- How to Have a Gorgeous and Organized Kitchen
- Shovel-Ready Project: Dividing Your Perennials
- Can Clutter Make You Sick?
- A Rose Is a Rose Is an Heirloom Rose
- Banquette Seating Makes For Cozy and Comfy Dining
- Controlling Dust in the Home Is a Never-Ending Task
- Fireplace Facelift Not a Job for the Faint of Heart
- Gorgeous and Glamorous Gray Goes the Distance
- Easy Eco-friendly Spring-cleaning
- 30 Top-To-Bottom Spring Cleaning Tips
- Too Cold to Plant? You Can Still Get Ahead of Garden Maintenance
- Area Rugs to the Rescue
- Rarin' to Get Planting? Here's What You Can Do Now
- Freshen Up Your House Whole House For Spring
- Don't Overlook Bulbs of Summer; Now Is Time to Plan Planting
- Time to Ready Your Backyard for Return of Avian Tenants
- You Can Pick Up Furniture Bargains In Unexpected Ways
- No Room for a Cellar? Create a Wine Closet
- Greener Living 101
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Spring-cleaning Checklist for Your Health and Your House
- Teen Decor That Puts the Cool in School
- Late Winter Is Time for Pruning and Forcing
- Key to Extraordinary Garden: Starting Your Own Seeds
- Barclay Butera: Create Modern Rooms Simply By Changing the Walls
- Four Common Eco-mistakes
- Are Vinyl Shower Curtains Safe?
- Where to Save and Where to Spend on Interior Decorating
- Wanna Get Away? Tropical Plants Can Help
- 10 Sneaky Ways to Get Organized
- A Better Load of Laundry
- Everyday Chores Get Greener
- Soothe Winter's Chill With a Steam Shower
- Houseplants Add Life to Your Winter
- Is Your Bedroom Decor Keeping You up?
- Seed Catalogs Trumpet the Promise of Spring
- Turning Down the Thermostat? Your Cyclamen Will Thank You
- A Room With a View: Clever Decorating Can Improve Your Vista
- Get Your Kitchen Drawers Organized Once and For All
- 10 New Year's Resolutions For Your Living Space
- Fantastic Faux Finishes
- Evergreens Add Color: Interest in Otherwise Dull Winter Landscape
- What to Do in a Frozen Pipe Emergency
Copyright © 2011, Living Space. DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC