Sensual Fall Bedroom Fixes Emphasize Easy Opulence
Sensual Fall Bedroom Fixes Emphasize Easy Opulence
With the arrival of fall and dropping temperatures, we naturally turn toward more sumptuous surroundings that beckon us to snuggle up. Making a few quick changes can transition your bedroom from summer to fall with the focus on opulence and sensuous comfort.
Add the Midas touch
Gold is an omnipresent color in autumn, and in the bedroom, rich ochre and vermilion positively glow at night and lit by candlelight. Adding a coordinating palette of bronze can bring a muted, elegant richness to your decor. Paint a quick coat on the walls and look for comforters and pillows with sumptuous shades of vermeil. Another plus? Dark woods are positively decadent against a golden backdrop.
To make bedtime TV watching, reading, or snuggling sweeter and more comfortable, consider switching to a padded headboard. The whole family can pile in for movie watching in bed when they can lean against the headboard. If this change is outside your budget, switch out standard pillows with large European squares to make sitting up in bed full of cushy enjoyment.
Without a doubt, one of the top comforts for crisp fall nights is a feather bed or wool topper that goes under the fitted sheet. Besides wonderful warmth, they add an extra layer of comfort and support. For some serious luxury, add a faux fur throw at the end of the bed to keep toes toasty and for something soft and sensual to curl up on.
Add sensory appeal
Dark, cold nights, flickering candles and a plush bed ooze sensuality and speak to our desires to connect and linger in bed. Rather than adding the fall standbys of jewel-toned florals and plaids, all definitely cozy, opt for sensual instead. Add a little sexiness to the bedroom with plush and elegant velvet and faux furs. Rich deep tones and lavish-feeling fabrics add an elegance and exotic sensuality that will beckon you to turn in early.
A small chandelier in place of a ceiling fan is a beautiful touch, but don't forget the dimmer switch. If you can't bear to replace the fan, try changing out the light kit with a chandelier light made for ceiling fans. To encourage sleeping in, add some sun blocking shades or shutters at the windows.
Be practical, too
Look for opportunities to beautify your bedroom, like taking out or updating mirrored closet doors and vertical blinds. Replace vertical blinds with curtains in rich fabrics, and layer with sheers for depth and more privacy. To update mirrored closet doors, try flipping them around and covering with fabric. A quick Web search will turn up a variety of DIY projects that can help soften up those large slabs of mirror and warm up your bedroom.
To define the bed and add some warmth under your feet, add an area rug. It's just what cold toes need during the winter months. Because you wear extra clothes, slippers and sweaters in winter, add a bench at the foot of the bed and slide baskets underneath to hold all those extra items.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Sensual Fall Bedroom Fixes Emphasize Easy Opulence
- Fall Is for Planting and Getting Good Deals at the Nursery
- Introducing Privacy to Open Concept Living
- White Kitchen Redux Has Balanced and Timeless Appeal
- Are Net-Zero Energy Houses on the Horizon?
- Easy Home-value Boosters
- The $50 Living Room Makeover
- How to Revive Your Home in a Weekend
- The Planet-Friendly Kitchen
- 10 Great 'Green' Home Improvements for 2011
- Dog Days of August: Time to Think of Planting for Fall
- Top 10 Interior Decorating Mistakes
- Will This Home Renovation Pay Off?
- 9 Reasons to Buy a Newly Built Home
- Fur Fight: Taming Pet Hair in Your Home
- Insect Control Is for the Birds
- Blueberries From Your Own Backyard
- What's My Carbon Footprint?
- Reusing and Recycling 101
- Common Sources of Odor and How to Eliminate the Smell
- Agapanthus: A Beautiful Option for Busy Gardeners
- Here Comes the Sun: Don't Let Summer Heat Deter You from Gardening
- Tips To Help Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
- Accessorize Your Home Like a Pro
- A Personal Gym Brings Your Workout Home
- Small-Space Gardening: When the Back 40 Is on Your Porch Railing
- The Way You Water
- 6 Can't Fail Sofa Buying Tips
- Tips for Holding a Successful Garage Sale
- Open Shelves: Designer Trend or Decorating Disaster?
- Stars of the Garden Can Be Leafy Rather Than Blooming
- Cut Back on Summer Spending
- Make Dad's Day With a Customized Home Bar
- How to Lavish Less Labor and More Love on Your Garden
- Banish Bathroom Counter Clutter With Clever Storage
- Creating a Beautiful Garden Can Be as Easy as Getting Dressed in the Morning
- The (Air) Drying Chronicles
- Cooking Ranges: Should You Go Pro?
- Tweak Your Home Decor for Summer
- Some of the Best Gardening Happens Where the Sun Doesn't Shine
- How to Cut Your Air-Conditioning Costs
- Moving Day: 10 Ways to Take the Stress Out of Packing
- Feeling Overwhelmed by Garden Tasks? Make a List and Get to Work
- Time to Make Habitat for Returning Birds
- Create A Girl's Bedroom Fit For A Princess
- How Feng Shui Can Improve Your Life
- How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Go Green and Improve Happiness
- New Uses for Old Things: Household Odds and Ends
- Homeowner Savings Tips: What You Might Not Know
- Sure-to-Please Home Decorating Ideas
- Planting Strawberry Jars for Spring Color
- 5 Elements Guarantee a Perfect Outdoor Living Area
- Paint Your Kitchen 'Green' With These Eco-friendly Tips
- Trends in Painting: Is Faux Over?
- How to Have a Gorgeous and Organized Kitchen
- Shovel-Ready Project: Dividing Your Perennials
- Can Clutter Make You Sick?
- A Rose Is a Rose Is an Heirloom Rose
- Banquette Seating Makes For Cozy and Comfy Dining
- Controlling Dust in the Home Is a Never-Ending Task
- Fireplace Facelift Not a Job for the Faint of Heart
- Gorgeous and Glamorous Gray Goes the Distance
- Easy Eco-friendly Spring-cleaning
- 30 Top-To-Bottom Spring Cleaning Tips
- Too Cold to Plant? You Can Still Get Ahead of Garden Maintenance
- Area Rugs to the Rescue
- Rarin' to Get Planting? Here's What You Can Do Now
- Freshen Up Your House Whole House For Spring
- Don't Overlook Bulbs of Summer; Now Is Time to Plan Planting
- Time to Ready Your Backyard for Return of Avian Tenants
- You Can Pick Up Furniture Bargains In Unexpected Ways
- No Room for a Cellar? Create a Wine Closet
- Greener Living 101
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Spring-cleaning Checklist for Your Health and Your House
- Teen Decor That Puts the Cool in School
- Late Winter Is Time for Pruning and Forcing
- Key to Extraordinary Garden: Starting Your Own Seeds
- Barclay Butera: Create Modern Rooms Simply By Changing the Walls
- Four Common Eco-mistakes
- Are Vinyl Shower Curtains Safe?
- Where to Save and Where to Spend on Interior Decorating
- Wanna Get Away? Tropical Plants Can Help
- 10 Sneaky Ways to Get Organized
- A Better Load of Laundry
- Everyday Chores Get Greener
- Soothe Winter's Chill With a Steam Shower
- Houseplants Add Life to Your Winter
- Is Your Bedroom Decor Keeping You up?
- Seed Catalogs Trumpet the Promise of Spring
- Turning Down the Thermostat? Your Cyclamen Will Thank You
- A Room With a View: Clever Decorating Can Improve Your Vista
- Get Your Kitchen Drawers Organized Once and For All
- 10 New Year's Resolutions For Your Living Space
- Fantastic Faux Finishes
- Evergreens Add Color: Interest in Otherwise Dull Winter Landscape
- What to Do in a Frozen Pipe Emergency
Copyright © 2011, Living Space. DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC