If you had two or three hours to spare, you could easily spend it cleaning your kitchen, bathroom and family room. They are the most heavily used rooms in your home, and they get dirty fast. Or you could spend 10 minutes cleaning each one and use the rest of the time for something a lot more fun.
The trick to speedy cleanups is to reduce the amount of products you use and to clean only what needs to be cleaned. Unless you’re fanatical about removing dust bunnies from under the couch, make that a monthly chore. Mop the kitchen floor twice a month instead of every week, and allot an extra 10 minutes for that task. Meanwhile, you can do a quick and effective cleanup -- either all at once or a little each day -- in no time at all.
Kitchen: Get Gleaming
The secret to a speedy kitchen cleanup is one of the cheapest products around: plain old vinegar. Either white or cider vinegar on a paper towel can clean and shine the sink, counter and appliances -- including stainless steel. (Don’t use on marble, however. It can damage the surface.) Before you start, clear off countertop clutter, and load dirty dishes into the dishwasher.
Dirty floor? You should have time for a quick sweep. But if you want to mop up too, cleaning expert Donna Smallin, author of Cleaning Plain and Simple and the One-Minute Cleaner (Storey Publishing), suggests checking out the new Bissell Steam and Sweep: “It leaves the floor clean and dry in a few minutes.”
Bathroom: Spray, Wipe and Go
Step 1: Pour 1/2 cup of bleach into the toilet, and let it sit.
Step 2: Spray the shower walls and door with daily shower cleaner.
Step 3: In the meantime, focus on the countertop, sink and mirror. You’ll only need one product for all three, according to Smallin: glass cleaner. For the mirror, use a rag, not paper towel, to avoid scratches.
Step 4: Return to the toilet. Scrub the bowl and under the rim with a toilet brush, and flush.
Step 5: Use disinfectant wipes for the outside and the seat.
Family/Living Room: Swipe and Sweep
Quickly vacuum the floor and sofa cushions wherever you see crumbs or pet hair. (If you can’t see it, don’t sweat it. You can do a proper sweep-up later on).
Clear off the coffee table, but don’t bother with furniture polish or oil soap. Just dampen a microfiber cloth with water and swipe it over tables, lamps and any other surfaces.And for easy clutter reduction, Smallin suggests tossing items that belong elsewhere into a laundry basket -- and taking it somewhere else to put away!
- As Cool Season Approaches Don't Give Up on the Garden
- Use Bold Red to Energize a Room
- Easy and Cheap Home Decorating Ideas
- 5 Signs It's Time to Replace Your Refrigerator
- Guide to Buying a Cooktop
- Guide to Buying a Dishwasher
- Are Your Doorknobs Dating Your Home?
- Squeaky staircase driving you crazy?
- Cut a Three-Hour House Cleaning Down to 30 Minutes
- Best Way To Clean Your Oven
- Is Your Indoor Air Clean Enough?
- Homegrown Stain Busters
- Transform Your Trash
- How Does Composting Work?
- Finding Vacation Home Bargains
- How Your Home Offices Can Make You More Productive
- Makeover Solutions for Problem Fireplaces
- Cozy Feel of Country Style Is Right for Fall
- Make Your Garden a Late Summer Pit Stop for Migratory Hummingbirds
- Plant Containers: Front and Center
- Blotches on Composite Decking Easily Tackled with Oxygen Bleach
- Fall Cleaning 101
- How to Make Your Refrigerator Last Longer
- Lamplight too bright?
- Guide to Buying a Kitchen Range
- Transform Boring Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Historic Places to Retire
- Rethink Decorating Your Hallways
- Green Your Kid: Gardening
- Kitchen Makeover on a Budget
- Installing Vinyl Tiles
- When to Replace Your Wall Oven
- Packing for a Move Is an Art Unto Itself
- Dynamite Dorm Rooms that Deliver
- 8 Paint Tips Trick Out Your House with Color
- How to Install a Ceramic Tile Backsplash
- Best Way to Waterproof and Revive Your Deck
- Growing a Green Garden - How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Attractive Flexible Screen Let's the Breeze In
- Set Mood for Evenings on Patio with Homemade Lanterns
- Planet-friendly Parties
- The Flexible Guest House: Adding On by Adding Out
- How to Design a Kitchen Island
- How to Hang Your Flat Screen TV
- How to Slash Your Electricity Bill This Summer
- 5 Easy Ways to Green Your Home
- Create Endless Summer with Seaside Style
- Touch of Patina: What Copper Can Do for Your Garden
- When Buying Garage Door Opener It Pays to Go with Quality
- How Green Is Your Bathroom?
- Grow Your Garden Naturally
- Blowing in the Wind: Flags for the Garden
- Better H2O at Home
- 6 Ways You're Wasting Water Right Now
- Take Steps to Fight a House Fire Before It Starts
- Banish Toxic Dust From Your Home
- With Small Rooms Resist the Urge to Be Minimalist
- Installing a New Kitchen Backsplash
- Feng Shui for Your Home
- Turn a Clean Home Into a Healthy Home
- Coconut Lights Add an Exotic Touch to Summer Nights
- Peaches: Cultivating Backyard Mini-Orchard Not That Hard
- Are You Neglecting Your Barbecue?
- Aromatic Lavender: Not as Hard to Grow as You Might Think
- Installing a Vintage Bathtub
- Master Bedroom Design: Making His and Hers Theirs
- White: The Hot Cool New Color of Interior Design
- Night-Blooming Plants to Impart Scents of Summer
- Closet Organization Made Easy
- Summertime Swaps: Quick Changes to Lighten Up Your Home Decor
- Best Tools and Materials Are Key to Good Paint Job
- Hydrangeas Offer Impressive Palette to Gardener
- Hot New Trend Is Cool Asian Design
- Growing Potatoes in the Garden Easier than You Think
- Banish Tar: Get a Greener Driveway
- Asphalt vs. Concrete Driveways
- Staining a Deck
- Modern Homesteading: How to Live Better on Less
- Better Sleep Begins with Good Bedroom Design
- Kitchen Hoods Take Center Stage
- Kitchen Cabinets that Conceal Appliances
- 15 Fresh Ways to Use Wallpaper
- 10 Ways to Reduce Your Summer Utility Bills
- Antidote for a Dull Planter: Chocolaty Goodness
- 10 Ways to Reuse and Save
- Hosting a Successful Yard Sale
- What to Do With Spring Cleaning Purges
- A Beeswax Balm You Can Make Yourself
- Keep Your House Spring-clean
- Exterior Lighting Makes Home More Appealing and Safer
- No Room for a Vegetable Garden? Think Again
- Food Scraps That Help Your Garden Thrive
- Designing a Nursery Around Color
- Birch Beautiful on the Table As Well As in Nature
- 5 Money-saving Gardening Tips
- Straighten Up in an Instant
- Deck Patio Rooftop Garden Ideas
- Growing a Family Garden
- 12 Hidden Costs of Homeownership
- Nine Ways to Make Your Home More Appealing to Buyers
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Concrete Ideas on Turning Construction Leftovers into Garden Fixtures
- Attractive and Durable DIY Garden Vine Trellis
- How to Green Your Baby's Nursery
- 6 Simple Home Repair Jobs You Can Do Yourself
- How to Create a Crafty Home
- Better Spring Cleaning with Less Effort & More Fun
- Energy-Efficient Updates Help Homeowners Save Cash
- Don't Just Let that Rainwater Go Down the Drain
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.