Hardin's home is filled with light and rich colors
She might play an unbalanced homemaker -- Jan -- on the hit TV show "The Office," but
The part of her house that captures her heart every single time?
"The living room," Hardin says of the expansive area -- and we can see why. The space is flooded with natural light, complete with a gorgeous ceiling hand-painted in 1928, original tile decoratively lighting the fireplace, and a huge, gothic window at the end of the room.
"It feels so warm and friendly to me, with such history and stories to tell," she says, pointing out the quaint alcoves where she displays her father's art -- beautiful, unique bones sculptures. "I love that kind of personality in a home."
If people aren't nestled on the living room couch, they're certainly mingling in the kitchen, or outside on the patio, on warm summer evenings, "enjoying good food, wine and conversation," she says.
Hardin is quick to credit her parents for helping shape her style.
"They made every home we ever lived in feel like a castle," she says. "My mom is outgoing and gregarious and has brought warmth and a go-getter spirit into my life," she says. "My dad is more reserved and an amazingly versatile artist, actor, sculptor -- a maker of anything!"
It's obvious Hardin's home is a lot like her, bright, happy and bursting with personality. This year, she will star in the feature film "Knucklehead," and just released her first music CD, "All The Way To Mars."
"It's in stores already, and available on iTunes and
Q: What's new at "The Office"?
A: They tell me that my character, Jan, will come back sometime this season, and I can't wait to see what hilarious circumstance they might put her in.
Q: What's your color inspiration -- vibrant and pop, or cool and serene?
A: I like clean, neutral colors (whites and earth tones) mixed with vibrant, bright colors and rich, deep colors.
Q: What type of design/style intrigues the architect in you?
A: I've always loved Spanish-California architecture, which feels very homey and inviting to me. I love most of the older Victorians, craftsman and bungalow homes, too, but I also adore warm, modern spaces that are open and saturated with sunlight.
Q: If you had to flee your home at a moment's notice -- but your family was safe -- what one item would you stop to save, no matter what?
A: My computer, because it has all our family pictures and videos, my music, song ideas, writings and personal contacts on it.
Q: If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
A: Five thousand arms and legs so I could do many, many things at once!
Available at Amazon.com:
- The Wonder of Wildflowers in the Garden
- Decorating with Nature: Corncob as Paint Roller
- The Habits of Keeping a Clean House
- Floor Radiant Heat
- Moving Television Creates TV Cable Complications
- Jillian Reynolds: The Glamorous Homebody
- Boxing Champ Floyd Mayweather King of His Las Vegas Castle
- Actress Melora Hardin Treasures Time at Home, Far From 'The Office'
- Taboo's Shoe Closet Is of Epic Proportions
- 9 Reasons to Choose a New Home Over a Resale
- Rethink Decorating Your Hallways
- Green Your Kid: Gardening
- Kitchen Makeover on a Budget
- Installing Vinyl Tiles
- When to Replace Your Wall Oven
- Packing for a Move Is an Art Unto Itself
- Dynamite Dorm Rooms that Deliver
- 8 Paint Tips Trick Out Your House with Color
- How to Install a Ceramic Tile Backsplash
- Best Way to Waterproof and Revive Your Deck
- Growing a Green Garden - How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Attractive Flexible Screen Let's the Breeze In
- Set Mood for Evenings on Patio with Homemade Lanterns
- Planet-friendly Parties
- The Flexible Guest House: Adding On by Adding Out
- How to Design a Kitchen Island
- How to Hang Your Flat Screen TV
- How to Slash Your Electricity Bill This Summer
- 5 Easy Ways to Green Your Home
- Create Endless Summer with Seaside Style
- Touch of Patina: What Copper Can Do for Your Garden
- When Buying Garage Door Opener It Pays to Go with Quality
- How Green Is Your Bathroom?
- Grow Your Garden Naturally
- Blowing in the Wind: Flags for the Garden
- Better H2O at Home
- 6 Ways You're Wasting Water Right Now
- Take Steps to Fight a House Fire Before It Starts
- Banish Toxic Dust From Your Home
- With Small Rooms Resist the Urge to Be Minimalist
- Installing a New Kitchen Backsplash
- Feng Shui for Your Home
- Turn a Clean Home Into a Healthy Home
- Coconut Lights Add an Exotic Touch to Summer Nights
- Peaches: Cultivating Backyard Mini-Orchard Not That Hard
- Are You Neglecting Your Barbecue?
- Aromatic Lavender: Not as Hard to Grow as You Might Think
- Installing a Vintage Bathtub
- Master Bedroom Design: Making His and Hers Theirs
- White: The Hot Cool New Color of Interior Design
- Night-Blooming Plants to Impart Scents of Summer
- Closet Organization Made Easy
- Summertime Swaps: Quick Changes to Lighten Up Your Home Decor
- Best Tools and Materials Are Key to Good Paint Job
- Hydrangeas Offer Impressive Palette to Gardener
- Hot New Trend Is Cool Asian Design
- Growing Potatoes in the Garden Easier than You Think
- Banish Tar: Get a Greener Driveway
- Asphalt vs. Concrete Driveways
- Staining a Deck
- Modern Homesteading: How to Live Better on Less
- Better Sleep Begins with Good Bedroom Design
- Kitchen Hoods Take Center Stage
- Kitchen Cabinets that Conceal Appliances
- 15 Fresh Ways to Use Wallpaper
- 10 Ways to Reduce Your Summer Utility Bills
- Antidote for a Dull Planter: Chocolaty Goodness
- 10 Ways to Reuse and Save
- Hosting a Successful Yard Sale
- What to Do With Spring Cleaning Purges
- A Beeswax Balm You Can Make Yourself
- Keep Your House Spring-clean
- Exterior Lighting Makes Home More Appealing and Safer
- No Room for a Vegetable Garden? Think Again
- Food Scraps That Help Your Garden Thrive
- Designing a Nursery Around Color
- Birch Beautiful on the Table As Well As in Nature
- 5 Money-saving Gardening Tips
- Straighten Up in an Instant
- Deck Patio Rooftop Garden Ideas
- Growing a Family Garden
- 12 Hidden Costs of Homeownership
- Nine Ways to Make Your Home More Appealing to Buyers
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Concrete Ideas on Turning Construction Leftovers into Garden Fixtures
- Attractive and Durable DIY Garden Vine Trellis
- How to Green Your Baby's Nursery
- 6 Simple Home Repair Jobs You Can Do Yourself
- How to Create a Crafty Home
- Better Spring Cleaning with Less Effort & More Fun
- Energy-Efficient Updates Help Homeowners Save Cash
- Don't Just Let that Rainwater Go Down the Drain
When celebrities finally get home they want to enjoy the fruits of their labor and be somewhere that no place in the world can offer them: home. MH+L is granted exclusive access to showcase the real world of celebrity. From actors and directors, singers and songwriters to athletes and agents, artists and performers, kings and kingmakers, MH+L is a window into the up-close-and-personal world of all facets of celebrity living. Sit back and enjoy the view.
Copyright © 2010 Modern Home and Living. All rights reserved.