The Tampa Bay Lightning have dismissed coach Guy Boucher after the team lost 10 of its last 14 outings, including a 5-3 defeat to the Ottawa Senators Saturday.
The Lightning started the season with an impressive 6-1 record but posted a 7-16-1 mark since then, dropping them to 14th in the Eastern Conference, five points out of a playoff spot.
"I'm not satisfied with the direction that our hockey team is going," general manager Steve Yzerman said. "This isn't a reaction, a desperate act, to try to make the playoffs, although that is still our hope, regardless of what where we sit in the standings."
Yzerman said assistants Martin Raymond and Dan Lacroix will share coaching duties for Sunday night's game against the Winnipeg Jets.
After accepting a job with the Lightning, Yzerman hired Boucher in June 2010.
In their first season together, Boucher guided the Lightning to the franchise's second-ever 100-point season, a return to the playoffs and a trip to the Eastern Conference Finals, where they lost 1-0 in Game 7 to the eventual Cup champion Boston Bruins.
However, the Lightning missed the playoffs last season and look to be heading to a second straight season out of the postseason in 2012-13. In two-plus seasons, Boucher's record is 97-78-20.
It was reported that the Lightning are looking to hire former Buffalo Sabres coach Lindy Ruff, who Yzerman hired as assistant coach for Canada's 2010 Olympic team.
Jon Cooper, who coaches the Lightning's affiliate in Syracuse, New York, could also be a candidate.
Cooper won an American Hockey League title last season, putting together a record 29-game winning streak, and has the Crunch atop the AHL standings this season.
"I'm not looking to drag things out," Yzerman said. "I have an idea of what I want to do and I have a plan for what I want to do. And I hope to accomplish that as soon as possible."
- Kings Late Back-to-Back Goals Stun Sharks
- Capitals Coach Adam Oates Says He Could 'Beat Up' Rangers John Tortorella
- Brad Marchand OT Goal Powers Bruins Past Rangers in Game 1
- Yankee Stadium to Host Two NHL games in 2014
- Capitals Alex Ovechkin Credits Lundqvist for Rangers Playoff Win
- Marcus Oduya and Marcus Kruger Push Blackhawks Past Red Wings
- Quick Work in Cage Pushes Kings Past Sharks
- Two Power-play Goals Lift Penguins Past Senators
- Bruins Recover from 4-1 Deficit, Take Game 7 in OT
- Henrik Lundqvist Tallies Shutout as Rangers Force Game 7
- Brooks Orpik's First Goal Lifts Penguins Past Islanders, into second round
- James Reimer's Heroics Push Leafs to Game 6 Win Over Bruins
- Dustin Penner Delivers Game-winner as Kings Oust Blues
- Islanders Center John Tavares picked as Hart Trophy finalist
- Craig Anderson Stops 33 Shots as Senators Advance to 2nd Round
- Sharks Sweep Canucks with Marleau's Overtime Goal
- Kyle Turris OT goal Powers Senators to 3-1 lead over Canadiens
- Three First-Time Finalists Fight it Out for Norris Trophy
- Tuukka Rask Stops 45 Shots as Bruins take 2-1 Series lead over Leafs
- Jean-Gabriel Pageau Hat Trick Powers Senators past Canadiens
- Chris Kunitz Nets Power-Play Goal in OT, Lifts Penguins past Islanders
- Joffrey Lupul Scores Two Goals as Maple Leafs Edge Bruins
- Islanders Make Adjustments to Upset Penguins
- Mike Green Overtime Goal Lifts Caps Over Rangers in Game 2
- Craig Anderson Stops 48 Shots as Senators Top Canadiens
- NHL Pits Blackhawks vs Penguins at Soldier Field in 2014
- Sharks Blast Canucks in Series Opener
- Wade Redden Breaks Playoff Slump, Lifts Bruins to Game 1 Win
- In a 'Flash', Ducks Rip Red Wings in Series Opener
- Avalanche Win 2013 NHL Draft Lottery
- Avalanche Fire Head Coach Joe Sacco After Failed Playoff Bid
- Dallas Stars Dismiss GM Joe Nieuwendyk after Missing Playoffs
- Howard Signs 6-year Extension with Red Wings
- NHL Plans Six Outdoor Games in 2014
- Yale Wins First NCAA National Hockey Title
- Stars Trade Captain Brenden Morrow to Penguins
- Struggling Lightning Fire Coach Guy Boucher
- Leafs' Joffrey Lupul Questions NHL Disciplinary Standards
- NHL Approves Realignment Plan for Next Season
- Cost of pricey Leafs tickets to increase by 2.5 percent next season
- Marc Staal's Eye Injury Induces More NHL Visor Debate
- Blackhawks Patrick Kane enjoys LeBron-like attention
- Panthers center Stephen Weiss out for season due to wrist injury
- Goalie Rick DiPietro blames Islanders for career, life low points
- NHL Realignment Pending Approval from Executives and Players
- Mike Eruzione's 'Miracle On Ice' jersey and stick sold for almost $1 million
- Chicago Blackhawks set NHL mark with win
- Documentary Exposes The NHL's Culture Of Violence
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved