New York, NY
Mike Eruzione's jersey and stick that he used during the 1980 US hockey team's "Miracle On Ice" victory over heavy favorite Russia have been sold for almost $1 million in an auction conducted by Heritage Auctions.
Eruzione, the captain of the 1980 squad, earned $657,250 from the jersey that he wore during the game, far less than the $1 million estimate made by the auction house.
Eruzione's stick, projected to be sold around $50,000, was purchased for $262,000.
"There was definitely a lot of interest," said Chris Ivy, director of sports auctions for Heritage. "The 'Miracle on Ice' is clearly one of those moments where you remember where you were. It transcends sports and has become part of pop culture."
Eruzione also sold several other items that he used during the 1980 Olympics, including his jersey worn in the gold medal win against Finland ($286,800), the warmup suit he wore during the gold medal ceremony ($26,290), Eruzione-used Team USA gloves ($53,775) and used pants ($26,680).
Heritage also has 18 other Eruzione items that it will sell Sunday.
During the auction, a game-used goalie stick from U.S. goalie Jim Craig signed by the "Miracle on Ice" team was sold for $32,265.
Several New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox items were also sold during the auction, including a $1,150 Yankees signing-bonus check endorsed by a 17-year-old Mickey Mantle sold for $286,800.
The auction house also sold two checks related to the Yankees' purchase of Babe Ruth from the Red Sox sold for $95,600, a 1927-28 Lou Gehrig game-worn Yankees jersey for $717,000 and Gehrig-worn cap from 1930s for $191,200.
During the auction, Curt Schilling's famous bloody sock from Game 2 of the 2004 World Series was sold for $92,612.
- Marc Staal's Eye Injury Induces More NHL Visor Debate
- Blackhawks Patrick Kane enjoys LeBron-like attention
- Panthers center Stephen Weiss out for season due to wrist injury
- Goalie Rick DiPietro blames Islanders for career, life low points
- NHL Realignment Pending Approval from Executives and Players
- Mike Eruzione's 'Miracle On Ice' jersey and stick sold for almost $1 million
- Chicago Blackhawks set NHL mark with win
- Documentary Exposes The NHL's Culture Of Violence
- Raunchy 'Harlem Shake' rendition sidelines high school hockey team
- Islanders Place Expensive Netminder Rick DiPietro on Waivers
- Ducks extend goalie Viktor Fasth's contract by two years
- Slumping Sabres fire head coach Lindy Ruff
- Senators owner calls Penguins' Matt Cooke a 'Goon'
- Austria, Latvia, Slovenia Advance to 2014 Olympics Men's Hockey Event
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved