Eating-right Resolutions for Busy People
Since eating more healthful foods and losing weight are popular new year’s resolutions, I decided to reach out to the experts for advice. Here, Patricia Bannan -- author of Eat Right When Time is Tight: 150 Slim-Down Strategies and No-Cook Food Fixes -- gives her stick-with-it-advice:
Think “veg out and fruit up.”
Five to nine servings of fruit and vegetables a day is optimal. Always carry portable fruit, like an apple, boxes of raisins, or a bag of dried banana chips in your purse. Opt for a vegetable-heavy dish, such as a salad or sandwich loaded with veggies, for lunch.
“Appe-size” the meals in which you tend to overeat.
Consider an appetizer, which tends to be lower in calories and takes time to eat, as an appetite speed-bump. Before your meal, sip broth-based soup, order a cup of hot herbal tea or enjoy a 100-calorie snack that includes protein, like a few tablespoons of hummus or 30 pistachios.
Energize in three to five.
That means strive for energy balance throughout the day by eating every three to five hours. Keep healthy snacks on hand or set a reminder on your phone to keep on schedule.
Stress cannot only make you sick; it can make you gain weight as well. Humor defuses stress and the stress hormones it produces. So surround yourself with light-hearted people, watch comedies or try to find the funny in your daily life.
Jackie Newgent is a registered dietitian, chef and award-winning author of The All-Natural Diabetes Cookbook and Big Green Cookbook. She frequently appears as a culinary nutrition expert on television. Past appearances include ABC's "Good Morning America" and NBC's "Dateline"
Available at Amazon.com:
- Eat Less, Live Longer? Calorie Restriction May Boost Longevity
- How Much Protein Should I Eat?
- Are Eggs Good or Bad for You?
- Good Nutrition Vital to Maintain Healthy Immune System
- Guide to Weight Loss Success
- Eating-right Resolutions for Busy People
- Dieting Do's and Don'ts
- Secrets From the World's Healthiest Countries
- Your Cold-fighting Grocery List
- Why Stress Can Be Good for You
- Living-Donor Transplants Are Becoming More Common
- 7 Ways to Beat the Winter Blues Today
- The Dangers of Type D Personality
- Become an Imperfectionist
- 5 Daily Habits for a Healthier You
- Are Germ-killing Products Harming Your Health?
- Get a Step Ahead of Flu Season
- Healthy Lifestyle Changes You Can Make Right Now
- Good Health Is A Sound Investment
- Mushrooms Have Medicinal As Well As Culinary Value
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Power Up with Hidden 'Superfoods'
- Strong Relationships Are Good For Your Health
- For Help With Medical Bills Cut a Deal With the Doctor
- Are You Overdosing on Dairy?
- How to Keep Your Teeth Healthy at Any Age
- How the Dentist Helps Your Heart
- Why Stress Can Be Good for You
- The Obesity - Cancer Connection
- The Far Reach of Fast Food
- Skip the Eggnog: These Holiday Foods Are Good For You
- Looking for the Mark of the Mediterranean Diet
- 12 Steps to Healthy Holidays
- Why Power Naps at Work Are Catching On
- Enjoy the Holidays Without Piling on the Pounds
- The Benefits of Indulgence
- The Best Way to Kill Germs
- Best Cold-buster Strategies
- Gift Giving Made Healthy
- Managing Dental Phobia
- Is the Bedbug Threat Real?
- 10 Ways to Stay Healthy During Holiday Travel
- Junk Food Addiction Is All Too Real
- Cranberries: Our Holiday Season's Sparkling Gem
- Foods that Fuel the Immune System
- Powerful Nutrition for Strong Bones
- Bone Up On Bone Health
- Music Only Path to Movement for Some People With Motor Disorders
- Counterfeit Medicines: Health and Harm
- FDA Cracks Down on Caffeine-Charged Alcoholic Drinks
- Fruit and Vegetables: Americans Fall Short
- How to Properly Eat Your Veggies
- Healthy Eating Tips for a Busy Lifestyle
- Top 10 Surprising Facts About Smiling
- Bad Habits That Are Good for You
- How to Decipher Product Labels
- New Applications Turning Cell Phones Into Medical Devices
- The Virtual Therapist Will See You Now
- New Findings Turning Coffee Into A 'Health Food'
- Food Allergies: When Food Bites Back
- Healthy Hot Drinks Avoid Caffeine and Sugar
- Have Glowing Skin for All Seasons
- Best Health Advice I Ever Got
- The Serious Hazards of Soda
- How to Turn Setbacks into Bounce-backs
- Stay Healthy When Everyone Else Is Sick
- How Personality Affects Your Health
- A Sensitive Issue: Salt Restriction
- Would Your Kitchen Pass a Restaurant Inspection?
- Should I Stop Taking B12 Supplements?
- Tap Water Toxins: Fact or Fiction?
- Love Your Liver: Natural Liver Support
- Healthy Eating Guide to Cereal
- Load Up On Vitamin C
- Vitamins That Keep Your Brain Young
- 5 Superfoods You're Not Eating
- Boost Dental Health with Honey and Agave Syrup
- Oral Health Sweet Shocker
Copyright © 2013 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.