Tips For Natural Allergy Relief
Dr. Melissa Carr
Allergy season has been upon many sufferers since February this year, but an early start may or may not mean an early finish. If you're one of the sneezing, sniffling, eye-rubbing, worn out masses, here are some simple things that you can do to ease your symptoms:
1. Reduce Exposure to Allergens in the Home
I hate cleaning, but dusting and vacuuming your home regularly can help to get rid of allergens like pet hair, dust, pollen, and pollutants. Vinegar can help to prevent mould from building on surfaces that get wet and humid, such as windowsills.
2. Rinse Your Nasal Passages
Allergen irritants can be rinsed out of your nasal passages using a simple warm saline solution. There are many tools you can choose from to do so, including traditional neti pots, small spouted squeeze bottles, and specially made devices like the Nasaline syringe.
3. Drink Tea
Histamines are released during an allergic reaction. Green tea and chamomile tea both contain natural antihistamines that can help the immune system.
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, foods that produce mucus and dampness can exacerbate allergies. Those foods include dairy, too many cold and raw foods, and too much simple sugar. With these things in mind, you can see that ice cream is the ultimate evil. Other potential immune system irritants are common food allergens like corn, citrus, peanuts, soy, shellfish, wheat, and the nightshade vegetables, such as tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants. This doesn't mean that all these foods are bad for you, but they are ones to keep an eye on and limit or avoid when your allergies flare.
Leafy green veggies are your friends. Berries and cherries help balance the body's immune and inflammatory response. Remember to wash foods well to remove chemical and pesticide residues. Eat more foods rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids, including flax seed, wild salmon, and fish oil supplements. Choose whole grains instead of processed grains, such as brown rice rather than white rice. Choose sprouted grain breads instead of flour-based breads for easier digestion. Choose ancient grains like quinoa, amaranth, millet, and spelt instead of only wheat. Use (organic) spices like turmeric, garlic, oregano, basil, horseradish, and white pepper.
6. Stay Hydrated
Water is important to keep the sinuses hydrated and essential for proper lymphatic drainage. Drink fluids at room temperature or warmer (try squirting some lemon juice into warm water).
7. Try Self-Acupressure Massage
Make sure you wash your hands first so as not to add more allergens from your hands to your nose. The acupressure point "Welcome Fragrance" is positioned on either side of the nostrils, where the nose and cheek meet. Use your index fingers to press those points for two to three minutes while taking slow, deep breaths.
8. Consider Traditional Chinese Medicine
Acupuncture and Chinese herbs can help treat allergies. In a study published in the journal Allergy in 2004, patients suffering from allergic rhinitis were treated with acupuncture and herbs, and those with hay fever symptoms showed "significant after-treatment improvement."
Available at Amazon.com:
- Mindful Eating: Savoring Your Food Has Physical and Psychological Benefits
- Cholesterol That's Good for Your Brain
- Tips For Natural Allergy Relief
- Insulin Toppled As Ruler of Diabetes
- Sneaky Diet-spoilers
- Foods That Help Men Stay Healthy
- Broccoli Rabe: Broccoli's Bolder Cousin
- Aromatherapy: Simple Tips for a Healthier You
- Is Chewing Gum Good or Bad for My Teeth?
- 5 Habits to Help You Get Enough Sleep
- Understanding Headache Pain: Causes and Treatments Vary Widely
- Take the 'Small Steps' Challenge to Discover a Healthier You
- Hand-washing 101: Kill Germs, Don't Spread Them
- Pilot Safety Secrets for Dentists
- Healthy Diet Can Help Ward Off Type 2 Diabetes
- Overcoming Insomnia: Lifestyle Changes, Medication, Psychotherapy Can Help
- Everybody Say Om: The Real Powers of Meditation
- Green Veggies and Fruit Pack a Big Nutritional Punch
- Many Mouthwash Claims Don't Hold Up
- Know Your Vitamins: Vitamin K
- Health Benefits of Tea
- Spring-cleaning Checklist for Your Health
- Fasting Can Have Many Benefits for the Body
- The Glycemic Index Explained
- Letting Go of Grudges Helps Your Health
- Health and Wellness With Doctor Oz
- Image Makeover Turning Coffee Into a Health Food
- Pick Blueberries for Brain Defense
- Tips to Manage Blood Sugar
- 5 Fats You Should Eat Every Day
- Does Money Buy Happiness?
- Vitamin Sources From A to K
- The Important Vitamin You May Be Forgetting
- Fill 'Er Up! Protein At Breakfast Impacts Satiety
- Preexisting Conditions Common in United States
- Talking to Teens About Marijuana: 9 Do's and Don'ts
- Break Habits That Harm the Heart
- The Pros of Probiotics: What's Good for the Belly Benefits the Brain
- Get Relief For Everyday Aches and Pains
- Seek Immediate Treatment at First Signs of Stroke
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices the Best Way to Minimize Cancer Risk
- Are Drugstore Blood-Pressure Machines Accurate?
- Get Over Your Childhood Eating Habits
- 5 Tricks That Make Your Dentist Happy
- Could You Have Bad Breath Today?
- Eat Less, Live Longer? Calorie Restriction May Boost Longevity
- How Much Protein Should I Eat?
- Are Eggs Good or Bad for You?
- Good Nutrition Vital to Maintain Healthy Immune System
- Guide to Weight Loss Success
- Eating-right Resolutions for Busy People
- Dieting Do's and Don'ts
- Secrets From the World's Healthiest Countries
- Your Cold-fighting Grocery List
- Why Stress Can Be Good for You
- Living-Donor Transplants Are Becoming More Common
- 7 Ways to Beat the Winter Blues Today
- The Dangers of Type D Personality
- Become an Imperfectionist
- 5 Daily Habits for a Healthier You
- Are Germ-killing Products Harming Your Health?
- Get a Step Ahead of Flu Season
- Healthy Lifestyle Changes You Can Make Right Now
- Good Health Is A Sound Investment
- Mushrooms Have Medicinal As Well As Culinary Value
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Power Up with Hidden 'Superfoods'
- Strong Relationships Are Good For Your Health
- For Help With Medical Bills Cut a Deal With the Doctor
- Are You Overdosing on Dairy?
- How to Keep Your Teeth Healthy at Any Age
- How the Dentist Helps Your Heart
- Why Stress Can Be Good for You
- The Obesity - Cancer Connection
- The Far Reach of Fast Food
- Skip the Eggnog: These Holiday Foods Are Good For You
- Looking for the Mark of the Mediterranean Diet
- 12 Steps to Healthy Holidays
- Why Power Naps at Work Are Catching On
- Enjoy the Holidays Without Piling on the Pounds
- The Benefits of Indulgence
- The Best Way to Kill Germs
- Best Cold-buster Strategies
- Gift Giving Made Healthy
- Managing Dental Phobia
- Is the Bedbug Threat Real?
- 10 Ways to Stay Healthy During Holiday Travel
- Junk Food Addiction Is All Too Real
- Cranberries: Our Holiday Season's Sparkling Gem
- Foods that Fuel the Immune System
- Powerful Nutrition for Strong Bones
- Bone Up On Bone Health
- Music Only Path to Movement for Some People With Motor Disorders
- Counterfeit Medicines: Health and Harm
- FDA Cracks Down on Caffeine-Charged Alcoholic Drinks
- Fruit and Vegetables: Americans Fall Short
- How to Properly Eat Your Veggies
- Healthy Eating Tips for a Busy Lifestyle
- Top 10 Surprising Facts About Smiling
- Bad Habits That Are Good for You
- How to Decipher Product Labels
- New Applications Turning Cell Phones Into Medical Devices
- The Virtual Therapist Will See You Now
- New Findings Turning Coffee Into A 'Health Food'
- Food Allergies: When Food Bites Back
- Healthy Hot Drinks Avoid Caffeine and Sugar
- Have Glowing Skin for All Seasons
- Best Health Advice I Ever Got
- The Serious Hazards of Soda
- How to Turn Setbacks into Bounce-backs
- Stay Healthy When Everyone Else Is Sick
- How Personality Affects Your Health
- A Sensitive Issue: Salt Restriction
- Would Your Kitchen Pass a Restaurant Inspection?
- Should I Stop Taking B12 Supplements?
- Tap Water Toxins: Fact or Fiction?
- Love Your Liver: Natural Liver Support
- Healthy Eating Guide to Cereal
- Load Up On Vitamin C
- Vitamins That Keep Your Brain Young
- 5 Superfoods You're Not Eating
- Boost Dental Health with Honey and Agave Syrup
- Oral Health Sweet Shocker
Copyright © 2011 PRESIDENT AND FELLOWS OF HARVARD COLLGE. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC.