Prescriptions: Don't Take A Drug Unless You Know Why
These days, when a full 61 percent of adults use at least one medication to treat a chronic health problem, many people expect a prescription at every doctor's appointment. (And doctors are often all too happy to oblige.) Since every drug has side effects and may interact with other meds, though, you shouldn't just swallow any pill ordered without a second thought. First ask:
1. WHY AM I GETTING THIS DRUG?
Place the emphasis on the "I." Your doctor should consider your personal risk factors when prescribing a drug, not the experience of the patient he/she treated earlier who may have been helped enormously, but also may have been far sicker.
2. WHAT ARE THE RISKS VS. THE BENEFITS?
Your doctor should be able to tick off the side effects and any serious adverse effects of any drug he/she is prescribing. You should also have a clear understanding of the benefits. Even in severe cases of depression, antidepressants significantly help just one third of patients, mildly help another third, and don't do much good for the remaining third. This information isn't featured prominently on manufacturers' websites.
3. IS THERE AN OLDER DRUG OR LIFESTYLE ALTERATION THAT WORKS JUST AS WELL?
With a new medication, "We might not know its long-term benefits or its track record for risks," explains
If your doctor can't make a strong case for why a new treatment may be better, take the older one, says Schwartz. For people with mild depression, for example, exercise can work just as well as an antidepressant. And salt-sensitive folks with high blood pressure may be able to reduce hypertension simply by lowering their sodium intake.
4. WILL IT INTERFERE WITH MY OTHER MEDICATIONS?
Many people get their prescriptions from different specialists who don't check for interactions. And pharmacies may not alert you to dangerous interactions if you don't get all your medications from the same place.
5. DOES THIS DRUG PREVENT REAL CLINICAL EVENTS?
"It's not enough to show that a drug lowers blood sugar," says
Nissen's study three years ago showed that Avandia was associated with an increased risk of heart trouble. Your doctor should be able to tell you what the odds are you'll have a bad outcome if you don't take a certain drug.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Experts Revisiting the Use of Antibiotics in Animal Agriculture
- Red Meat: Avoid the Processed Stuff
- What's Behind the Real-sugar Soda Movement?
- Is a juice fast a good way to lose weight?
- The Best Breakfast for Weight Loss
- Prescriptions: Don't Take A Drug Unless You Know Why
- When Pop Stars Become Pop Psychologists
- Harping on Healthy Eating Seldom Gets the Message Across
- Can Worrying Be Good for You?
- Aspirin Therapy: Safe for Sensitive Stomachs?
- Keeping Up With Vaccinations: New Guidelines Include Several Changes
- The Health Benefits of Smiling
- 4 Simple Steps to a Healthy Smile
- Do Home Tooth Remedies Really Work?
- How to Avoid Allergies This Season
- The Surprising Health Benefits of Sex
- Nutrition Is 'In the Pink' with Rhubarb
- Four Sob Stories: The Effect of Tears and Three Other Tales of Woe
- If You Choose to Take Vitamins As Supplements Stick to the RDA
- Spring-clean Your Life Guide: Detox Your Home
- The Truth About Booze: Distinguishing Fact From Fiction
- Use Bold and Beautiful Spices for Health
- Much (Well Deserved) Ado About Mangoes
- Could Fluoride Rinses Help Prevent Cavities
- Can Clutter Make You Sick?
- Medical Schools Embrace Alternative Medicine
- Pre-Existing Conditions? Health Insurance Options Improving
- Washington D.C. Tops On Well-Being Index
- Spring-clean Your Life Guide: Clean up Your Diet
- Why Eating While Distracted Can Make You Fat
- Lose Fat With Your Dentist's Help
- Heart-Healthy Foods and Supplements Show Promise To Keep Cholesterol In Check
- Urban Legends on Wine Headaches and Sensitivities Abound
- Is Coffee Bad For You? Check the Evidence Before You Decide
- Organ Donation Demystified
- Is It Alzheimer's?
- Spring-clean Your Teeth
- Can That Dental Procedure Wait?
- Yes, Doc: I Have a Dirty Mouth!
- The Only 10 iPhone Health Apps You Need
- Drinking Water Before Meals to Lose Weight
- Sleep Is Not Enough: Getting the Rest You Need
- The Great Fat Debate Continues
- Refined Carbohydrates May Be Even Worse For You Than Saturated Fat
- Guess What You Just Ate: Watch Labels For Food Additives
- How to Talk to Your Doctor
- Spring-clean to Stay Healthy
- Mindful Eating: Savoring Your Food Has Physical and Psychological Benefits
- Cholesterol That's Good for Your Brain
- Tips For Natural Allergy Relief
- Insulin Toppled As Ruler of Diabetes
- Sneaky Diet-spoilers
- Foods That Help Men Stay Healthy
- Broccoli Rabe: Broccoli's Bolder Cousin
- Aromatherapy: Simple Tips for a Healthier You
- Is Chewing Gum Good or Bad for My Teeth?
- 5 Habits to Help You Get Enough Sleep
- Understanding Headache Pain: Causes and Treatments Vary Widely
- Take the 'Small Steps' Challenge to Discover a Healthier You
- Hand-washing 101: Kill Germs, Don't Spread Them
- Pilot Safety Secrets for Dentists
- Healthy Diet Can Help Ward Off Type 2 Diabetes
- Overcoming Insomnia: Lifestyle Changes, Medication, Psychotherapy Can Help
- Everybody Say Om: The Real Powers of Meditation
- Green Veggies and Fruit Pack a Big Nutritional Punch
- Many Mouthwash Claims Don't Hold Up
- Know Your Vitamins: Vitamin K
- Health Benefits of Tea
- Spring-cleaning Checklist for Your Health
- Fasting Can Have Many Benefits for the Body
- The Glycemic Index Explained
- Letting Go of Grudges Helps Your Health
- Health and Wellness With Doctor Oz
- Foods to Boost Your Moods
- How Terrible is it to Skip Meals?
- Is Your Lunch Safe to Eat?
- Create a Healthy Diet
- 8 Foods for a Beautiful Smile
- Image Makeover Turning Coffee Into a Health Food
- Pick Blueberries for Brain Defense
- Tips to Manage Blood Sugar
- 5 Fats You Should Eat Every Day
- Does Money Buy Happiness?
- Vitamin Sources From A to K
- The Important Vitamin You May Be Forgetting
- Fill 'Er Up! Protein At Breakfast Impacts Satiety
- Preexisting Conditions Common in United States
- Talking to Teens About Marijuana: 9 Do's and Don'ts
- Break Habits That Harm the Heart
- The Pros of Probiotics: What's Good for the Belly Benefits the Brain
- Get Relief For Everyday Aches and Pains
- Seek Immediate Treatment at First Signs of Stroke
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices the Best Way to Minimize Cancer Risk
- Are Drugstore Blood-Pressure Machines Accurate?
- Get Over Your Childhood Eating Habits
- 5 Tricks That Make Your Dentist Happy
- Could You Have Bad Breath Today?
- Eat Less, Live Longer? Calorie Restriction May Boost Longevity
- How Much Protein Should I Eat?
- Are Eggs Good or Bad for You?
- Good Nutrition Vital to Maintain Healthy Immune System
- Guide to Weight Loss Success
- Eating-right Resolutions for Busy People
- Dieting Do's and Don'ts
- Secrets From the World's Healthiest Countries
- Your Cold-fighting Grocery List
- Why Stress Can Be Good for You
- Living-Donor Transplants Are Becoming More Common
- 7 Ways to Beat the Winter Blues Today
- The Dangers of Type D Personality
- Become an Imperfectionist
- 5 Daily Habits for a Healthier You
- Are Germ-killing Products Harming Your Health?
- Get a Step Ahead of Flu Season
- Healthy Lifestyle Changes You Can Make Right Now
Copyright © 2011 U.S. News and World Report