Do Men Need Calcium Supplements?
Q: Do men need calcium supplements?
Calcium is crucial for keeping bones strong, and it also plays a critical role in the proper function of the heart, muscles and nerves. Experts have long recommended that women take calcium to stave off osteoporosis, a disease that weakens bones and makes them prone to breaking. But what about men, who make up 20 percent of the 10 million people who have osteoporosis?
In a new study, researchers at the University of Auckland, in New Zealand, found that when elderly men received 1,200 milligrams (mg) of calcium daily, they increased their bone density within six months and had fewer falls -- which is significant, since falls in elderly people can lead to serious illness and even death.
So it seems at least some men may benefit from calcium supplements. However, “we don’t suggest that all men begin calcium supplementation,” says study leader Ian Reid, M.D. “There can be concerns about the safety of high doses,” and it may be that supplements are only necessary for men at risk for fractures, he notes.
It’s recommended that men get 1,000 mg of calcium a day through diet (1,200 mg if you’re over age 50).
That’s about 1 cup of calcium-fortified orange juice, plus 1½ cups of one-percent milk, plus 1 cup of broccoli. If you don’t think you’re making the grade, check with your doctor about taking a supplement.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Do Men Need Calcium Supplements?
- Vitamin D2 or D3?
- Key Foods and Nutrients Especially Beneficial to Your Health
- Could Swimming in Cool Water Cause a Heart Attack?
- Low Platelet Count Not Necessarily Reason to Postpone Prostate Cancer Surgery
- Prostate Exam Good First Stop When PSA Levels Increase
- Omega-3 Foods Don't Always Add Up
- Is Agave Nectar Better for You than Ordinary Sugar?
- Secondhand Smoke A Serious Public and Personal Health Problem
- What to do About Excessive Belching and Feeling Full?
- Chest Pain: A Heart Attack or Something Else?
- Screening Plays Key Role in Detecting Polyps Before They Become Cancerous
- Learn How to Read Supplement Labels
- Compression-Only CPR Can Replace Conventional CPR in Many Circumstances
- Diabetes: Could You Have Diabetes and Not Know It
- Fighting Inflammation with Food
- Bad Health Habits Rob Years From Life Span
- The Importance of Decreasing Dietary Sodium
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): Takes Your Breath Away
- 7 Ways to Prevent Heart Disease
- Hypotension or Stiff Arteries May Cause Low Diastolic Blood Pressure
- Longevity Revolution Will Restructure Life Around the World
- Maximum Fitness: CrossFit Training
- When does Knee Replacement Surgery Make Sense
- Common Myths and Misconceptions About Diabetes
- Nature's Gym: Exercising Outdoors
- Cultivate a Nutrient-Rich Approach to Eating for Life
- Middle-Age Spread and How to Avoid It
- Fiber and Weight Loss: Learn the Secrets
- Omega-3 Rich Diet
- Omega-3 Enriched Eggs an 'Eggs-traordinary' Choice for Heart Health
- Cultivate a Healthy Brain Lifestyle As You Age
- Regular Exercise Helps Protect Aging Brains
- Is Heartburn Surgery the Answer?
- 14 Things You Might Not Know About Aspirin
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.