Love Your Liver: Natural Liver Support
Did you know the liver is the king of the glands? It's the largest gland in the body and is the largest and most complex organ, having over 500 functions. It weighs just over 1 kilogram and is situated under the rib cage on the right. It contains about a quarter of all blood circulating in the body and is the only organ that can regenerate itself.
The liver produces about one quart of bile a day, emulsifying and digesting fatty foods and fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. It regulates carbohydrate metabolism and therefore helps balance blood sugar. The liver manufactures cholesterol, which is necessary for good health and hormone production; it converts thyroid hormone T4 to T3.
The liver acts like a washing machine, cleaning out external toxins and byproducts of our own metabolism. It also metabolizes alcohol and converts food into the chemicals the body needs to sustain life. Liver toxicity may lead to excess body fat as toxins lodge in the fat cells.
Signs of liver distress may be chronic fatigue, depression and/or irritability, abdominal pain and swelling, skin problems and/or itchy skin, chemical sensitivities, digestive complaints and poor tolerance to fatty foods. Hormonal imbalances, such as mood swings, PMS, hot flashes and difficulty losing weight may be signs of liver dysfunction. Liver spots, dark circles under the eyes, yellowish eyes, bad breath, nausea, loss of appetite and pale stools may also be signs of liver distress.
Toxins may also cause liver overload. There are thousands of toxins in cosmetics, body care products, chemicals used in farming, chemical food additives, pharmaceutical drugs, chlorinated and fluoridated water, car exhaust fumes, indoor pollutants from chemical cleansers, paint, carpets and furniture. Modern food is often processed, denatured and full of additives, which greatly contributes to toxin overload.
Alcohol consumption prevents the liver from manufacturing digestive enzymes, and hinders the body's ability to digest all nutrients. Your liver processes 95 percent of the alcohol you drink, at a rate of only one quarter to one half ounce per hour.
HOW TO LOVE YOUR LIVER TIPS
-- Use a liver cleanse containing milk thistle and dandelion periodically to help your liver regenerate.
-- Exercise regularly.
-- Eat 30-38 grams of fiber per day, as fiber binds to bile and eliminates fat-soluble toxins from the body.
-- Eat small meals frequently with good quality protein.
-- Include lots of richly colored fruits and cruciferous vegetables in your diet. Beets are wonderful healing foods for the liver (see my recipe below for beet salad). Cabbage family veggies include broccoli, brussels sprouts, kale, collards and cauliflower. Green veggies and beets are particularly good.
-- Eat sulphur-containing foods, such as garlic, onions and eggs.
-- Use herbs and spices like turmeric, cinnamon, licorice root, curcumin and artichoke.
-- Use supplements to enhance liver function, such as alpha lipoic acid, chlorophyll and spirulina, B vitamins, in particular choline and inositol, which help prevent fat accumulation and maintain cholesterol balance.
-- Use digestive enzymes, acidophilus, wheat grass juice, Vitamin C with bioflavonoids, Vitamin E and a good quality multivitamin and mineral containing zinc and selenium.
-- Avoid smoking, caffeine and alcohol.
-- Drink 2 liters of water daily or make herbal teas using dandelion, nettle leaves and other health-enhancing herbs.
BEET SALAD (from "Eat Away Illness," by
This raw beet and vegetable salad keeps well in the fridge.
2 cups of beets, shredded
1 cup of carrots, shredded
1 cup raw vegetable such as turnip, celery, parsnip, celeriac, kohlrabi, shredded
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 stalk celery, minced
½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
Mix above ingredients well.
¼ cup toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp. hemp seed oil
2 tbsp. lemon juice
½ tsp. basil or ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
½ tsp. oregano
Dash of celtic sea salt
Combine with salad and store in fridge. Serves 4.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Stay Healthy When Everyone Else Is Sick
- How Personality Affects Your Health
- A Sensitive Issue: Salt Restriction
- Would Your Kitchen Pass a Restaurant Inspection?
- Should I Stop Taking B12 Supplements?
- Tap Water Toxins: Fact or Fiction?
- Love Your Liver: Natural Liver Support
- Healthy Eating Guide to Cereal
- Load Up On Vitamin C
- Vitamins That Keep Your Brain Young
- 5 Superfoods You're Not Eating
- Boost Dental Health with Honey and Agave Syrup
- Oral Health Sweet Shocker
- Screening Tests That Can Save Your Life
- Eat Fiber and Feel Better
- The Worst and Best Sweets for Your Teeth
- The Truth About Extreme Smile Makeovers
- A Smart Guide to Dietary Supplements
- Beat the Bedbug Epidemic
- Healthy Eating All Day
- Recreational Drugs Go Straight
- Normal Weight Obesity - A Growing Concern
- Fruit and Vegetables: Americans Fall Short
- Hybrid Fruit: The New Super-food
- Is Indian Cuisine Healthy Cuisine?
- Is 'Ethnic' Cuisine Healthier?
- Is the H1N1 Flu Pandemic Over?
- 5 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- Surviving Cold Season: How Not to Get Sick
- 7 Healthy Habits in 7 Weeks
- Sleep More and Live Longer
- 4 Dangerous Health Emergencies: What to Do
- Heartburn-friendly Diet with Your Favorite Foods
- Put Brakes on Inflammation Through Diet and Lifestyle Strategies
- The Vibrant and Healthy Flavors of an Authentic Latin Diet
- Is It Hunger or Just Appetite?
- Stay Healthy the Easy Way
- The Importance of Dreams
- Boost Your Energy: Hour by Hour
- Stop Information Overload
- Breathe Like a Baby
- 5 Healthy Foods That Wreck Your Teeth
- Are You Falling for Dental Myths?
- Is Heart Attack Going Out of Style?
- Flu Season
- Preventive Care & Electronic Medical Records Guidelines Set
- Stone Age Diet Surprisingly Good For a Healthy Life Today
- New Tools Fuel Progress on Development of Genetically Engineered Farm Animals
- Beat Your Afternoon Energy Slump
- Small Healthy Habits With Big Health Benefits
- Relieve Stress and Uplift Spirits with Aromatherapy
- New Things To Try That Lift Your Spirits and Relieve Stress
- 5 Fast Breakfasts That Boost Your Health
- Much to Consider When Looking for a Primary Care Physician
- Apples Are the New Fish
- Watermelon: Summer's Antioxidant
- Prescription for Better Health: Go Alfresco?
- Are All Omega-3 Fats The Same?
- Sample a Semi-Vegetarian Lifestyle With a Flexitarian Diet
- Milk: When the First Food May Be the Best Food
- Foraging is Green Eating at Its Purest
- How to Lose Weight Safely
- Colleges Joining Effort to Turn Around Skyrocketing Obesity Rates
- Medical Claims for Marijauna - Just Blowing Smoke?
- The Hidden Health Benefits of Adult Braces
- 5 Things Your Dental Insurance Will Not Cover
- 4 Effortless Steps to Whiter Teeth
- 5 First-aid Tricks You Need to Know
- Heat Can Beat the Heart
- Eating for Your Blood Type -- Truth or Fiction?
- Salt Sensitivity Issue: Salt Restriction
- 5 Tips to Bulldoze a Bad Mood
- Genetically Engineered Foods Update: More Common Than You Think
- 5 Celebrity Trends That Could Harm Your Health
- Should You Travel Abroad for a Dental Procedure
- Super Foods to Boost Your Dental Health
- The Fight Escalates Against Fake Drugs
- Fermented Foods Are Making a Comeback
- Wean Yourself Off Processed Foods in 7 Steps
- An Update on Soy: It's Just So-So
- Is it OK to Take Ibuprofen P.M.?
- Colonoscopy: Is It Time to Go Virtual Colonoscopy
- Sleep Better Tonight (Fight Fatigue Tomorrow)
- Do-it-yourself Sunburn Remedies
- Take the Germ Quiz
- Healthy Mouth Equals Healthy Body
- 5 Biggest Flossing Mistakes
- Health Threat of Nitrates: Nitrites in Cured Meats
- Stop Dry Mouth Now
- Best Ways to Keep Your Teeth
- 5 Instant Ways to Stress Less and Smile More
- Be Suntan Savvy
- 4 Ways to Sneak in Sunblock
- Can Aspirin Do That, Too?
- A Natural Approach to Sweet Slumber
- Boost Your Brainpower
- Seeds of Life: Chia, Flax, Hemp and Pumpkin
- Microgreens Become Macro Trend to Follow
- Eat Your Way to a Healthy Smile
- Why and How to Get More Vitamin D
- Better Alternatives to Silver Fillings
- 5 Beach Safety Tips
- Traveling Light: Healthy Eating for Business Junketeers
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Shape-Shifting 'Tube Robot' Could Aid Heart Surgery
- Better Ways to Get Your Produce
- Cutting-Edge Cuisine Engages Senses Beyond Taste
- Eat for Your Eyesight
- Is It Better to Stop Smoking Abruptly or Gradually?
- Relieve Stress in 5 Minutes or Less
- Best Ways to Soothe Sensitive Teeth
- Turn a Clean Home Into a Healthy Home
- Largest Ever Cell Phone Cancer Study is Inconclusive
- Treating Early-Stage Esophageal Cancer
- TNF Inhibitors Offer Relief to Those With Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Advances in Breast Cancer Screening Helping to Fine-Tune Diagnosis
- First Aid for Summer
- The Microscopic World of Food Nanotechnology
- Screening Plays Key Role in Detecting Polyps Before They Become Cancerous
- Learn How to Read Supplement Labels
- Compression-Only CPR Can Replace Conventional CPR in Many Circumstances
- Diabetes: Could You Have Diabetes and Not Know It
- Fighting Inflammation with Food
- Bad Health Habits Rob Years From Life Span
- Beating Back Pandemics is a Cooperative Crusade
- The Importance of Decreasing Dietary Sodium
- Chocolate Reduces Inflammation Associated with Heart Disease
- Healthy Eating Tips for a Busy Lifestyle
- Olive Oil and Health
- Push for Healthier Diets Means Big Changes for the Food Industry
- How to Identify Suicide Risk Before It's Too Late
- Tips for Natural Allergy Relief
- Inflammation May Play Role in Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Longevity Revolution Will Restructure Life Around the World
- Maximum Fitness: CrossFit Training
- Tests to Optimize Treatment of Breast Cancer
- Enjoy the Health Benefits of Tea
- Can Your Toothbrush Make You Sick?
- Sunscreen Facts You Need to Know
- When does Knee Replacement Surgery Make Sense
- Is Hefty the New Healthy?
- Best Way to Take Heartburn Medication
- Aerobics Without Heartburn
- Stress Less: Ten Strategies That Work
- Paralyzed Limbs Revived by Hacking Into Nerves
- Take the Work Out of Workout
- Cultivate a Nutrient-Rich Approach to Eating for Life
- Treadmill Test Can Reveal Hidden Problems in Heart
- Researchers Break Through to Unconscious Patients
- Key Factors Related to Heart Attack Risk
- Type 2 Diabetes Increases Risk for Cardiovascular Problems
- Middle-Age Spread and How to Avoid It
- Fiber and Weight Loss: Learn the Secrets
- Hypochondria: The Impossible Illness
- Get the Lead Out: The Less Exposure to This Toxic Metal the Better
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sugar
- Cultivate a Healthy Brain Lifestyle As You Age
- Regular Exercise Helps Protect Aging Brains
- Surgeries Can be Combined But May Not be Necessary
Copyright © 2010 Naturally Savvy. All rights reserved.