- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
Looking to strengthen your legs and improve your balance? Engage your core to increase leg strength. Concentrating on your posture will benefit your spine and improve your balance. These fun fitness moves can serve as an office boredom-buster too.
1. Sit at the end of your chair. Position your hips just by the edge.
2. Plant feet hip-distant apart on the floor. Feel each foot there. Firmly and evenly press through the big toe side, the outer portion and the heel.
3. Sit tall. Imagine that you’re balancing a big bowl of water on top of your head.
4. Inhale. Keeping your hands off the chair and your spine still (remember that bowl of water), stand up. Engage your core and thighs to help you. Don’t lean forward -- you don’t want to get wet!
5. With feet still planted, slowly sit back down. Be careful not to lean forward, knock your knees together or reach back for the chair. Move from your hips and keep that bowl balancing.
6. Repeat often. Go slowly to make it more challenging.
Do this all day or repeat a few times in a row. Notice how good your posture is while you are doing this.
Jessie Zalla is a movement teacher who has taught pilates and yoga for over 12 years. Her style of teaching draws from a deep knowledge and practice of anatomy, and from her experience as a professional dancer. Based in New York City, she teaches at her studio, Jessie Zalla Pilates, and at Anatomy at Abhyasa Yoga Center.
Available at Amazon.com:
The Flexitarian Diet: The Mostly Vegetarian Way to Lose Weight, Be Healthier, Prevent Disease, and Add Years to Your Life
Wellbeing: The Five Essential Elements
Healthy Travel: Don't Travel Without It!
The Good Doctor's Guide to Colds and Flu
High-Intensity Strength Training: The Most Effective and Efficient Means for Developing Muscle and Strength
Get Stronger, Feel Younger: The Cardio and Diet-Free Plan to Firm Up and Lose Fat
WORLD | AFRICA | ASIA | EUROPE | LATIN AMERICA | MIDDLE EAST | UNITED STATES | ECONOMICS | EDUCATION | ENVIRONMENT | FOREIGN POLICY | POLITICS
Health - Your Mini Work Workout