I know you’re supposed to wear spandex and cute, stretchy little tops when you’re doing a downward dog. But these days, you’re more likely to find me dressed in my bathrobe and pajamas when I’m in a yoga pose. I call it “Bathrobe Yoga,” and I like to think of it as my own brand of yoga.
Like most moms, my time is tight. Although I’d prefer to do yoga two or three times a week, the reality is that I usually get to a class only once or twice a month. That’s why I’ve resorted to doing yoga in short spurts, most often at night when I’m in my pj’s and bathrobe.
I admit it isn’t exactly a pretty sight. While I’m watching TV at night -- or when I first wake up in the morning -- I’ll do some simple twists and bends, maybe a crescent lunge, or some cats and dogs. Sometimes, I’ll do the goddess pose or a rag doll. I can even do an occasional sun salutation -- all from the comfort of my home.
Could I change into my yoga clothes? Of course I could. But that would take time, and sometimes, I’m just that lazy. For me, it’s often easier to do something right then and there, when the mood to strike a pose strikes.
No doubt, my home practice lacks the rigor of the class I take at my local studio. I don’t hold the poses as long, and I probably don’t push myself as hard. And my attire certainly imposes some limits on my movements. But so far, it’s doing what I want it to do, which is to maintain my flexibility between classes.
Making time for things we love isn’t always easy. And it’s laughable to think of myself as a yogini in a fuzzy bathrobe. But sometimes, moms like me simply have to modify their activities and find new ways to do them.
For example, see how to do yoga while making breakfast:
That’s what Bathrobe Yoga is: my own unique way of doing the yoga I love, without worrying about wardrobe.
- The Legs and Booty Workout!
- Spring-clean Your Fitness Routine
- Yoga for Runners
- Yoga, Personalized
- Yoga Poses That Soothe You to Sleep
- Strengthen Your Back
- The Workplace Workout
- Are Eggs Part of a Healthy Diet?
- 4 New Workout Routines for All Fitness Levels
- Workouts That Help You Get Well
- How to Meditate and Why
- The 'Fit But Fat' Debate
- Employees Get Paid to Exercise, While Some Pay to Sit Out
- Wean Yourself Off Processed Foods in 7 Steps
- Debunking Detox Diets
- Buff up Your Back-to-School Body
- Real Shortcuts to Your Dream Body
- Exercise for Kids: 5 Tips for Parents
- 5 Ways to Exercise Safely in the Heat
- Exercise Your Body and Brain
- Winning Water-sport Workouts
- Fit Exercise Into Your Life
- Conquer the Biggest Mud Runs
- Traveling Light: Healthy Eating for Business Junketeers
- Better Ways to Get Your Produce
- Key Foods and Nutrients Especially Beneficial to Your Health
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
Copyright © 2012 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.