5 Ways to Fire up Your Metabolism
Fire up Your Metabolism
Everyone longs for one of those I-can-eat-anything-and-not-gain-an-ounce metabolisms. Unfortunately, those are rare (and if you’re reading this, you probably don’t have one). But there are ways to increase your body’s ability to burn calories, so I advise all my clients to add the following metabolism boosters to their routine.
Try one or more to help you maximize your own weight loss efforts
Metabolism Booster No. 1: Don’t overdo your diet.
Many of my clients come to me convinced they have to almost starve themselves to lose weight. But in fact, that’s the perfect way to slow down your metabolism and make it much harder to drop pounds, especially if you want to keep them off. Research shows that you need ample food throughout the day to keep your metabolism running on high and burning lots of calories. (This also helps prevent bingeing.) So be sure to follow what I call the Rule of 10: Multiply your goal weight by 10 and never eat fewer calories than that total. You’ll still lose weight and keep your metabolism stoked.
Metabolism Booster No. 2: Eat with your body clock.
Digesting a big, healthy breakfast (whole grains, lean protein and fruit) jump-starts your metabolism in the morning. In addition, your metabolism naturally peaks around noon, so it’s best to eat a bigger breakfast and lunch and a smaller dinner. That way, you’ll be more likely to burn off the calories you’ve consumed. Bonus: According to one large study, women who ate larger morning meals consumed fewer total daily calories without even trying than those who ate less or skipped breakfast entirely.
Metabolism Booster No. 3: Bring on the beans.
All varieties of beans contain a particular starch that, research shows, increases your body’s fat burning by up to 30 percent after meals. Plus, beans are bursting with fiber that is good for your heart and will keep you feeling full longer. So add a cup to a salad or soup. And for an even bigger boost, sprinkle just one tablespoon of chopped red or green chilies on top of your beans (or any dish). This will temporarily spike your metabolism about 23 percent more, according to a study published in the Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology.
Metabolism Booster No. 4: Be smart about supplements.
If you’re not already taking vitamin D for bone health and cancer prevention, now’s the time to start. A University of Minnesota study found that dieters with the highest levels of D lost significantly more weight -- up to 5.5 additional pounds over 11 weeks -- than those with the lowest levels, and more of that weight was dangerous abdominal fat. You should also start taking fish oil, which is good for a lot more than just your heart and brain. New research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that regular exercisers who took fish oil supplements revved their metabolism enough to lose an additional 3.4 pounds more over 12 weeks than those who didn’t take the supplements.
Metabolism Booster No. 5: Go slow when strength training.
Lifting weight builds muscle, which helps you burn more calories than fat, automatically boosting your calorie burn -- even while you sleep. Now, research from Wayne State finds that doing strength training super-slowly has even more benefits, cranking up your metabolism for as long as 72 hours afterwards. Here’s how to do it: Raise weights to a slow count of three, pause at the top, then lower slowly to another count of three. The weight should be heavy enough so that it’s a struggle to maintain proper form during the last rep.
Nancy Kalish is the managing editor of this website and has written for O, The Oprah Magazine; Prevention; Self; Real Simple; and many other publications. She also works with clients one-on-one as a certified health coach. Learn more at NancyKalish.com.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Get Moving With a New Fitness Gadget
- 5 Ways to Fire up Your Metabolism
- 7 Shocking Weight-loss Myths
- Get Back on Track
- Make Life-changing Resolutions a Reality
- The Stubborn Belly-fat Solution
- Lose Weight Faster With Mushrooms
- High-tech Help for Weight Loss
- Yoga Does the Body and Mind Good
- Do You Sit Too Much?
- Maximize Your Morning Energy
- Your Mini Work Workout
- Beat Winter: How to Exercise in the Cold
- Get a Jump on Your Fitness with Plyometrics
- Easy Workout Routines to Boost Your Mood
- Are You Exercising Hard Enough?
- Up Your Metabolic Rate with Weights
- Dance Yourself Happy: Why Swinging Your Body Lifts Your Spirit
- How to Get Cardio and Weight Training in 20 minutes
- Gyrotonic: Fitness That's Fun
- The Right Kind of Yoga for You
- Plan to Ski or Snowboard? Strengthen up Now
- Can Crash Diets Be a Good Way to Lose Weight?
- How to Prevent Sports Injuries
- Normal Weight Obesity - A Growing Concern
- The Low-down on Energy Drinks
- The Food Un-coma
- What's the Best Weight-loss Diet?
- Spot the Difference: Sore Muscles vs. Muscle Injury
- Adults at Forefront of Bicycle Boom
- Stone Age Diet Surprisingly Good For a Healthy Life Today
- Fibromyalgia Symptoms Improve With Tai Chi
- The Best Fall Sport for Cardio
- Banish Belly Fat
- Prescription for Better Health: Go Alfresco?
- Suspension Workouts
- Drink Up! Avoiding Dehydration
- Keep Your Athletes Hydrated On and Off the Field
- How to Lose Weight Safely
- Colleges Joining Effort to Turn Around Skyrocketing Obesity Rates
- Milk: When the First Food May Be the Best Food
- How Morning Exercise Can Boost Your Career
- Lose the Weight and Not the Energy
- Stress-busting Walking Workout
- Detox Light
- Wean Yourself Off Processed Foods in 7 Steps
- Buff up Your Back-to-School Body
- Debunking Detox Diets
- Real Shortcuts to Your Dream Body
- Exercise for Kids: 5 Tips for Parents
- 5 Ways to Exercise Safely in the Heat
- Exercise Your Body and Brain
- Winning Water-sport Workouts
- Fit Exercise Into Your Life
- Conquer the Biggest Mud Runs
- Traveling Light: Healthy Eating for Business Junketeers
- Better Ways to Get Your Produce
- Key Foods and Nutrients Especially Beneficial to Your Health
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Maximum Fitness: CrossFit Training
- Is Hefty the New Healthy?
- Aerobics Without Heartburn
- Nature's Gym: Exercising Outdoors
- A Lean Mean Stay-fit Exercise Routine
- Take the Work Out of Workout
- Middle-Age Spread and How to Avoid It
- Fiber and Weight Loss: Learn the Secrets
- Weighing the Evidence on 6 Popular Diet Programs
- Regular Exercise Helps Protect Aging Brains
- Lose Weight and Look Great This Summer
- Easy Exercises You Can Do At Home
- Flat Abs for Heartburn Sufferers
- Green Fitness
- How Many Crunches are Enough
- Fit Your Bike For the Perfect Ride
- Is Boot Camp for You?
- After-meal Workout
- Go From Stick to Thick
- Feeling Fatigued? Try Exercise!
- Sports Injuries: Many Preventable & Most Respond Well to Treatment
- Are You Fit or Fat?
- Tai Chi: Secret to Health and Well-being
- Fitness: Walk the Nordic Way
- Fitness: Workout With Your Better Half
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.