The Right Kind of Yoga for You
How can I figure out which type of yoga is right for me?
There are many different types of yoga, including Hatha, Vinyasa and Bikram. Hatha yoga is something of a misnomer, however.
"Hatha yoga refers to the general classification of doing yoga postures with breathing techniques," explains Larry Payne, Ph.D., director of the Yoga Training Program at Loyola Marymount University and president of the Samata Yoga Center in Los Angeles. So many styles of yoga -- including Vinyasa and Bikram -- are actually forms of Hatha yoga. Classes that are described as Hatha Yoga usually refer to general, traditional yoga without a particular style, which attracts people of all ages.
Vinyasa yoga, on the other hand, is usually recommended for people who are in the first half of their lives, since it incorporates more physically demanding moves, says Payne. For individuals who are in the second half of their lives, Payne recommends Viniyoga, which puts less emphasis on mimicking the instructor's perfect form and more attention to practicing postures "to meet one's own needs and physical capacities," he says. This individualized approach might also appeal to self-starters of any age, he adds.
Bikram yoga is another discipline altogether.
"It involves 26 postures done at the intermediate level and in a room where the temperature is set at over 100 degrees Fahrenheit," says Payne. The heat is thought to help with stretching.
Other popular forms of yoga include Iyengar yoga, which is sometimes called "furniture yoga" because it utilizes cushions, benches and other props; Kripalu yoga, in which practitioners move through three stages of posture work and meditation; Kundalini yoga, which incorporates chanting with postures and breath control; and Integral yoga, made famous in the U.S. by Swami Satchidananda who, at the 1969 Woodstock Music Festival, taught baby boomers to perform yoga while chanting "om."
Available at Amazon.com:
- How to Get Cardio and Weight Training in 20 minutes
- Gyrotonic: Fitness That's Fun
- The Right Kind of Yoga for You
- Plan to Ski or Snowboard? Strengthen up Now
- Can Crash Diets Be a Good Way to Lose Weight?
- How to Prevent Sports Injuries
- Normal Weight Obesity - A Growing Concern
- The Low-down on Energy Drinks
- The Food Un-coma
- What's the Best Weight-loss Diet?
- Spot the Difference: Sore Muscles vs. Muscle Injury
- Adults at Forefront of Bicycle Boom
- Stone Age Diet Surprisingly Good For a Healthy Life Today
- Fibromyalgia Symptoms Improve With Tai Chi
- The Best Fall Sport for Cardio
- Banish Belly Fat
- Prescription for Better Health: Go Alfresco?
- Suspension Workouts
- Drink Up! Avoiding Dehydration
- Keep Your Athletes Hydrated On and Off the Field
- How to Lose Weight Safely
- Colleges Joining Effort to Turn Around Skyrocketing Obesity Rates
- Milk: When the First Food May Be the Best Food
- How Morning Exercise Can Boost Your Career
- Lose the Weight and Not the Energy
- Stress-busting Walking Workout
- Detox Light
- Wean Yourself Off Processed Foods in 7 Steps
- Buff up Your Back-to-School Body
- Debunking Detox Diets
- Real Shortcuts to Your Dream Body
- Exercise for Kids: 5 Tips for Parents
- 5 Ways to Exercise Safely in the Heat
- Exercise Your Body and Brain
- Winning Water-sport Workouts
- Fit Exercise Into Your Life
- Conquer the Biggest Mud Runs
- Traveling Light: Healthy Eating for Business Junketeers
- Better Ways to Get Your Produce
- Key Foods and Nutrients Especially Beneficial to Your Health
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Maximum Fitness: CrossFit Training
- Is Hefty the New Healthy?
- Aerobics Without Heartburn
- Nature's Gym: Exercising Outdoors
- A Lean Mean Stay-fit Exercise Routine
- Take the Work Out of Workout
- Middle-Age Spread and How to Avoid It
- Fiber and Weight Loss: Learn the Secrets
- Weighing the Evidence on 6 Popular Diet Programs
- Regular Exercise Helps Protect Aging Brains
- Lose Weight and Look Great This Summer
- Easy Exercises You Can Do At Home
- Flat Abs for Heartburn Sufferers
- Green Fitness
- How Many Crunches are Enough
- Fit Your Bike For the Perfect Ride
- Is Boot Camp for You?
- After-meal Workout
- Go From Stick to Thick
- Feeling Fatigued? Try Exercise!
- Sports Injuries: Many Preventable & Most Respond Well to Treatment
- Are You Fit or Fat?
- Tai Chi: Secret to Health and Well-being
- Fitness: Walk the Nordic Way
- Fitness: Workout With Your Better Half
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.