Fishing for a Better Smile
Dr. Asghar Naqvi
Salmon is one of my favorite foods; I eat it a couple of times a week.
As a doctor, I know that fish is good for my heart -- lots of studies have shown that it can reduce your chance of dying from a sudden heart attack, lower your bad cholesterol levels and improve your blood pressure.
But it wasn’t until about a year ago that I learned it might have an unexpected bonus: Healthy teeth and a better smile.
While in medical school, I wanted to explore the connection between nutrition and chronic diseases. I was thinking about writing a paper on heart disease, but many of my ideas had already been covered in other studies. Then my advisor suggested I look into periodontitis, a fancy name for gum disease. That turned out to be a great idea!
In my study, I compared the diet records of more than 9,000 adults to their history of gum disease. I was surprised to find that, after making adjustments for age and other factors, the participants who consumed the most DHA (a kind of omega-3 fatty acid) in their diet had a 22-percent less chance of developing gum disease than those who consumed the least DHA. Taking omega-3 supplements didn’t seem to make a difference either way, but that may be because of how my study was designed. I’m now starting more rigorous research on patients with gum disease to see whether taking omega-3 supplements will help improve their oral health.
In the meantime, I can you tell this: I found that the same amount of fish that’s great for gums is about what the American Heart Association recommends -- 3 1/2 ounces worth of fatty fish like salmon, trout, sardines or albacore tuna twice a week. So if you’re consuming omega-3s in order to improve your heart health (and I highly recommend you do), you could come away with a little something extra for your smile.
Dr. Asghar Naqvi is a researcher at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Brookline, Mass. He is funded by Beth Israel and Harvard Medical School
Available at Amazon.com:
- Spend Your Money on Happiness
- Fishing for a Better Smile
- Scientific Breakthrough: Wisdom Teeth Save Lives
- Eat Less, Live Longer? Calorie Restriction May Boost Longevity
- How Much Protein Should I Eat?
- Are Eggs Good or Bad for You?
- Good Nutrition Vital to Maintain Healthy Immune System
- Guide to Weight Loss Success
- Eating-right Resolutions for Busy People
- Dieting Do's and Don'ts
- Secrets From the World's Healthiest Countries
- Your Cold-fighting Grocery List
- Why Stress Can Be Good for You
- Living-Donor Transplants Are Becoming More Common
- 7 Ways to Beat the Winter Blues Today
- The Dangers of Type D Personality
- Become an Imperfectionist
- 5 Daily Habits for a Healthier You
- Are Germ-killing Products Harming Your Health?
- Get a Step Ahead of Flu Season
- Healthy Lifestyle Changes You Can Make Right Now
- Good Health Is A Sound Investment
- Mushrooms Have Medicinal As Well As Culinary Value
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Power Up with Hidden 'Superfoods'
- Strong Relationships Are Good For Your Health
- For Help With Medical Bills Cut a Deal With the Doctor
- Are You Overdosing on Dairy?
- How to Keep Your Teeth Healthy at Any Age
- How the Dentist Helps Your Heart
- Why Stress Can Be Good for You
- The Obesity - Cancer Connection
- The Far Reach of Fast Food
- Skip the Eggnog: These Holiday Foods Are Good For You
- Looking for the Mark of the Mediterranean Diet
- 12 Steps to Healthy Holidays
- Why Power Naps at Work Are Catching On
- Enjoy the Holidays Without Piling on the Pounds
- The Benefits of Indulgence
- The Best Way to Kill Germs
- Best Cold-buster Strategies
- Gift Giving Made Healthy
- Managing Dental Phobia
- Is the Bedbug Threat Real?
- 10 Ways to Stay Healthy During Holiday Travel
- Junk Food Addiction Is All Too Real
- Cranberries: Our Holiday Season's Sparkling Gem
- Foods that Fuel the Immune System
- Powerful Nutrition for Strong Bones
- Bone Up On Bone Health
- Music Only Path to Movement for Some People With Motor Disorders
- Counterfeit Medicines: Health and Harm
- FDA Cracks Down on Caffeine-Charged Alcoholic Drinks
- Fruit and Vegetables: Americans Fall Short
- How to Properly Eat Your Veggies
- Healthy Eating Tips for a Busy Lifestyle
- Top 10 Surprising Facts About Smiling
- Bad Habits That Are Good for You
- How to Decipher Product Labels
- New Applications Turning Cell Phones Into Medical Devices
- The Virtual Therapist Will See You Now
- New Findings Turning Coffee Into A 'Health Food'
- Food Allergies: When Food Bites Back
- Healthy Hot Drinks Avoid Caffeine and Sugar
- Have Glowing Skin for All Seasons
- Best Health Advice I Ever Got
- The Serious Hazards of Soda
- How to Turn Setbacks into Bounce-backs
- Stay Healthy When Everyone Else Is Sick
- How Personality Affects Your Health
- A Sensitive Issue: Salt Restriction
- Would Your Kitchen Pass a Restaurant Inspection?
- Should I Stop Taking B12 Supplements?
- Tap Water Toxins: Fact or Fiction?
- Love Your Liver: Natural Liver Support
- Healthy Eating Guide to Cereal
- Load Up On Vitamin C
- Vitamins That Keep Your Brain Young
- 5 Superfoods You're Not Eating
- Boost Dental Health with Honey and Agave Syrup
- Oral Health Sweet Shocker
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.