Fill 'Er Up! Protein At Breakfast Impacts Satiety
Protein Rich Breakfast
Be sure your breakfast includes naturally protein-rich foods such as eggs, lean meat and yogurt
It's clear that dietary choices -- not only what you eat but when -- may be important for hunger and weight control. There's no better example than breakfast. Breakfast eaters tend to weigh less than those who skip the meal. And even if they don't make healthful choices, breakfast eaters still eat less, according to research. When you skip breakfast, you tend to eat more calories throughout the day, compared to breakfast eaters who benefit from improved glucose levels that help fight food cravings later on. Even a simple breakfast has been shown to improve cognitive performance and mood in adults and children.
Protein is a highly satiating (filling) nutrient, because it is more difficult for the body to digest and absorb compared to nutrients like carbs (think eggs vs. bread). Protein keeps you more full for a longer time.
A study published in the
In another 2009 study published in the
"We have to focus on the diet as a whole, on what you're eating rather than just how many calories you're taking in. Things fall into place when you start putting healthy food on your plate," says Keegan
Redefining your sense of breakfast to include foods with protein is a simple solution for feeling full and fighting cravings later on. Instead of filling up on only high-carb fare such as breads, pastries and cereals, make sure to include naturally protein-rich foods such as eggs, nuts, lean meat, milk and yogurt each morning. Also, check the labels of many breakfast foods -- from cereals to waffles -- to see if they now have added protein.
Available at Amazon.com:
- 5 Fats You Should Eat Every Day
- Does Money Buy Happiness?
- Vitamin Sources From A to K
- The Important Vitamin You May Be Forgetting
- Fill 'Er Up! Protein At Breakfast Impacts Satiety
- Preexisting Conditions Common in United States
- Talking to Teens About Marijuana: 9 Do's and Don'ts
- Break Habits That Harm the Heart
- The Pros of Probiotics: What's Good for the Belly Benefits the Brain
- Get Relief For Everyday Aches and Pains
- Seek Immediate Treatment at First Signs of Stroke
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices the Best Way to Minimize Cancer Risk
- Are Drugstore Blood-Pressure Machines Accurate?
- Get Over Your Childhood Eating Habits
- 5 Tricks That Make Your Dentist Happy
- Could You Have Bad Breath Today?
- Eat Less, Live Longer? Calorie Restriction May Boost Longevity
- How Much Protein Should I Eat?
- Are Eggs Good or Bad for You?
- Good Nutrition Vital to Maintain Healthy Immune System
- Guide to Weight Loss Success
- Eating-right Resolutions for Busy People
- Dieting Do's and Don'ts
- Secrets From the World's Healthiest Countries
- Your Cold-fighting Grocery List
- Why Stress Can Be Good for You
- Living-Donor Transplants Are Becoming More Common
- 7 Ways to Beat the Winter Blues Today
- The Dangers of Type D Personality
- Become an Imperfectionist
- 5 Daily Habits for a Healthier You
- Are Germ-killing Products Harming Your Health?
- Get a Step Ahead of Flu Season
- Healthy Lifestyle Changes You Can Make Right Now
- Good Health Is A Sound Investment
- Mushrooms Have Medicinal As Well As Culinary Value
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Power Up with Hidden 'Superfoods'
- Strong Relationships Are Good For Your Health
- For Help With Medical Bills Cut a Deal With the Doctor
- Are You Overdosing on Dairy?
- How to Keep Your Teeth Healthy at Any Age
- How the Dentist Helps Your Heart
- Why Stress Can Be Good for You
- The Obesity - Cancer Connection
- The Far Reach of Fast Food
- Skip the Eggnog: These Holiday Foods Are Good For You
- Looking for the Mark of the Mediterranean Diet
- 12 Steps to Healthy Holidays
- Why Power Naps at Work Are Catching On
- Enjoy the Holidays Without Piling on the Pounds
- The Benefits of Indulgence
- The Best Way to Kill Germs
- Best Cold-buster Strategies
- Gift Giving Made Healthy
- Managing Dental Phobia
- Is the Bedbug Threat Real?
- 10 Ways to Stay Healthy During Holiday Travel
- Junk Food Addiction Is All Too Real
- Cranberries: Our Holiday Season's Sparkling Gem
- Foods that Fuel the Immune System
- Powerful Nutrition for Strong Bones
- Bone Up On Bone Health
- Music Only Path to Movement for Some People With Motor Disorders
- Counterfeit Medicines: Health and Harm
- FDA Cracks Down on Caffeine-Charged Alcoholic Drinks
- Fruit and Vegetables: Americans Fall Short
- How to Properly Eat Your Veggies
- Healthy Eating Tips for a Busy Lifestyle
- Top 10 Surprising Facts About Smiling
- Bad Habits That Are Good for You
- How to Decipher Product Labels
- New Applications Turning Cell Phones Into Medical Devices
- The Virtual Therapist Will See You Now
- New Findings Turning Coffee Into A 'Health Food'
- Food Allergies: When Food Bites Back
- Healthy Hot Drinks Avoid Caffeine and Sugar
- Have Glowing Skin for All Seasons
- Best Health Advice I Ever Got
- The Serious Hazards of Soda
- How to Turn Setbacks into Bounce-backs
- Stay Healthy When Everyone Else Is Sick
- How Personality Affects Your Health
- A Sensitive Issue: Salt Restriction
- Would Your Kitchen Pass a Restaurant Inspection?
- Should I Stop Taking B12 Supplements?
- Tap Water Toxins: Fact or Fiction?
- Love Your Liver: Natural Liver Support
- Healthy Eating Guide to Cereal
- Load Up On Vitamin C
- Vitamins That Keep Your Brain Young
- 5 Superfoods You're Not Eating
- Boost Dental Health with Honey and Agave Syrup
- Oral Health Sweet Shocker
Copyright © 2011 Environmental Nutrition. Distributed by Tribune Media Services Inc.