The Dangers of Prediabetes
These days, most people know that a diabetes diagnosis is serious, with all kinds of potentially deadly complications. Yet if they learn they have prediabetes -- when blood sugar levels are too high, but not quite high enough to be diabetic -- they often think, “Well, I’ll do something about that … eventually.”
That’s a big mistake, experts say.
Of the 57 million Americans who suffer from prediabetes (blood glucose level between 100 and 125 mg/dL), many will go on to develop diabetes within 10 years. But prediabetes also poses significant health risks right now, almost doubling your risk of cardiovascular disease, reports the American Diabetes Association. What’s more, as you inch toward a true diabetes diagnosis, the odds of getting other health issues, from vision problems to dental disasters, increase. “Diabetics are up to 700-percent more likely to have gum disease,” says Dr. Charles W. Martin, a dentist and the author of Are Your Teeth Killing You?
Are You at Risk?
You’re considered at higher risk for prediabetes if you’re over 45, overweight or obese, have a family history of Type 2 diabetes, or high blood pressure or cholesterol. Symptoms may include a frequent desire to urinate, blurred vision or a feeling of fatigue. But they may come on so gradually that you may not even notice. Often, there are no symptoms at all.
Talk to your doctor about getting tested. A prediabetes diagnosis is an early warning sign, and many people can prevent the development of diabetes, and even reverse the condition entirely.
Whether you have been diagnosed with prediabetes or not, there are plenty of things you can do to maintain healthy blood sugar levels and prevent diabetes in the future. The American College of Endocrinology suggests taking the following steps:
Eat well and exercise.
Eat a diet that’s high in fiber, whole grains, veggies and fruit, and get at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity five times a week. A recent National Institutes of Health study showed that a regular fitness program (30 minutes a day) and a 5-percent reduction in weight were more effective in warding off diabetes than drugs.
If you’re overweight, drop some pounds. Losing just 5 to 7 percent of your body weight can be significant, according to government researchers.
Seek the right treatment.
If you already suffer cardiovascular disease, fatty liver disease or polycystic ovary syndrome, you may need treatment with diabetes drugs.
Mind your oral care.
Floss twice a day and brush a full two minutes, says Martin. Also, see your dentist regularly and get your teeth cleaned at least twice a year to remove plaque that can cause gum disease and tooth decay. “We know that improving your oral health helps control diabetes,” adds Martin.
Susan Crandell writes about health for such magazines as Prevention and Ladies’ Home Journal. She is the founding editor of More, a magazine for women in their 40s and 50s and the author of Thinking About Tomorrow: Reinventing Yourself at Midlife.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Monitoring Cholesterol Valuable Way to Assess Ongoing Risk of Heart Disease
- What Can I Do About Blepharitis?
- Stay Healthy With Smart Contact Lenses
- Symptoms Could be Caused by Allergy Related to Snowy Weather
- Update From the Common Cold Front
- The Dangers of Prediabetes
- Got Gas?
- The Headache Trigger You Haven't Considered
- Dental Pain? Try Acupuncture
- What Could Dreams About Teeth Mean?
- Stop Achy Feet Now
- Are Those Canker Sores or Cancer?
- Step Away From the Scale
- Is Tap Water Better?
- Dreary Days Got You Down? Beat the Winter Blues
- 6 Common Myths and Misconceptions About Diabetes
- Atrial Fibrillation Won't Cause Heart Attack But Can Lead to Other Serious Complications
- Difficulties With Memory and Thinking May Develop in Some People With Parkinson's
- Most Cases of Gynocomastia Don't Cause Long-Term Complications
- Sarcopenia: The New Osteoporosis
- Keeping Bedbugs at Bay
- When Eyes Get Dry, And What You Can Try
- Natural Orifice Surgery Minimizes the Trauma of Open Surgery
- Overmedication: Are Americans Taking Too Many Drugs?
- Good Health Is A Sound Investment
- Mushrooms Have Medicinal As Well As Culinary Value
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Power Up with Hidden 'Superfoods'
- Strong Relationships Are Good For Your Health
- For Help With Medical Bills Cut a Deal With the Doctor
- Are You Overdosing on Dairy?
- How to Keep Your Teeth Healthy at Any Age
- How the Dentist Helps Your Heart
- Why Stress Can Be Good for You
- The Obesity - Cancer Connection
- The Far Reach of Fast Food
- Skip the Eggnog: These Holiday Foods Are Good For You
- Looking for the Mark of the Mediterranean Diet
- 12 Steps to Healthy Holidays
- Why Power Naps at Work Are Catching On
- Enjoy the Holidays Without Piling on the Pounds
- The Benefits of Indulgence
- The Best Way to Kill Germs
- Best Cold-buster Strategies
- Gift Giving Made Healthy
- Managing Dental Phobia
- Is the Bedbug Threat Real?
- 10 Ways to Stay Healthy During Holiday Travel
- Junk Food Addiction Is All Too Real
- Cranberries: Our Holiday Season's Sparkling Gem
- Foods that Fuel the Immune System
- Powerful Nutrition for Strong Bones
- Bone Up On Bone Health
- Music Only Path to Movement for Some People With Motor Disorders
- Counterfeit Medicines: Health and Harm
- FDA Cracks Down on Caffeine-Charged Alcoholic Drinks
- Fruit and Vegetables: Americans Fall Short
- How to Properly Eat Your Veggies
- Healthy Eating Tips for a Busy Lifestyle
- Top 10 Surprising Facts About Smiling
- Bad Habits That Are Good for You
- How to Decipher Product Labels
- New Applications Turning Cell Phones Into Medical Devices
- The Virtual Therapist Will See You Now
- New Findings Turning Coffee Into A 'Health Food'
- Food Allergies: When Food Bites Back
- Healthy Hot Drinks Avoid Caffeine and Sugar
- Have Glowing Skin for All Seasons
- Best Health Advice I Ever Got
- The Serious Hazards of Soda
- How to Turn Setbacks into Bounce-backs
- Stay Healthy When Everyone Else Is Sick
- How Personality Affects Your Health
- A Sensitive Issue: Salt Restriction
- Would Your Kitchen Pass a Restaurant Inspection?
- Should I Stop Taking B12 Supplements?
- Tap Water Toxins: Fact or Fiction?
- Love Your Liver: Natural Liver Support
- Healthy Eating Guide to Cereal
- Load Up On Vitamin C
- Vitamins That Keep Your Brain Young
- 5 Superfoods You're Not Eating
- Boost Dental Health with Honey and Agave Syrup
- Oral Health Sweet Shocker
- Screening Tests That Can Save Your Life
- Eat Fiber and Feel Better
- The Worst and Best Sweets for Your Teeth
- The Truth About Extreme Smile Makeovers
- A Smart Guide to Dietary Supplements
- Beat the Bedbug Epidemic
- Healthy Eating All Day
- Recreational Drugs Go Straight
- Normal Weight Obesity - A Growing Concern
- The Dangers of Prediabetes
- Hybrid Fruit: The New Super-food
- Is Indian Cuisine Healthy Cuisine?
- Is 'Ethnic' Cuisine Healthier?
- Is the H1N1 Flu Pandemic Over?
- 5 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- Surviving Cold Season: How Not to Get Sick
- 7 Healthy Habits in 7 Weeks
- Sleep More and Live Longer
- 4 Dangerous Health Emergencies: What to Do
- Heartburn-friendly Diet with Your Favorite Foods
- Put Brakes on Inflammation Through Diet and Lifestyle Strategies
- The Vibrant and Healthy Flavors of an Authentic Latin Diet
- Is It Hunger or Just Appetite?
- Stay Healthy the Easy Way
- The Importance of Dreams
- Boost Your Energy: Hour by Hour
- Stop Information Overload
- Breathe Like a Baby
- 5 Healthy Foods That Wreck Your Teeth
- Are You Falling for Dental Myths?
- Is Heart Attack Going Out of Style?
- Flu Season
- Preventive Care & Electronic Medical Records Guidelines Set
- Stone Age Diet Surprisingly Good For a Healthy Life Today
- New Tools Fuel Progress on Development of Genetically Engineered Farm Animals
- Beat Your Afternoon Energy Slump
- Small Healthy Habits With Big Health Benefits
- Relieve Stress and Uplift Spirits with Aromatherapy
- New Things To Try That Lift Your Spirits and Relieve Stress
- 5 Fast Breakfasts That Boost Your Health
- Much to Consider When Looking for a Primary Care Physician
- Apples Are the New Fish
- Watermelon: Summer's Antioxidant
- Prescription for Better Health: Go Alfresco?
- Are All Omega-3 Fats The Same?
- Sample a Semi-Vegetarian Lifestyle With a Flexitarian Diet
- Milk: When the First Food May Be the Best Food
- Foraging is Green Eating at Its Purest
- How to Lose Weight Safely
- Colleges Joining Effort to Turn Around Skyrocketing Obesity Rates
- Medical Claims for Marijauna - Just Blowing Smoke?
- The Hidden Health Benefits of Adult Braces
- 5 Things Your Dental Insurance Will Not Cover
- 4 Effortless Steps to Whiter Teeth
- 5 First-aid Tricks You Need to Know
- Heat Can Beat the Heart
- Eating for Your Blood Type -- Truth or Fiction?
- Salt Sensitivity Issue: Salt Restriction
- 5 Tips to Bulldoze a Bad Mood
- Genetically Engineered Foods Update: More Common Than You Think
- 5 Celebrity Trends That Could Harm Your Health
- Should You Travel Abroad for a Dental Procedure
- Super Foods to Boost Your Dental Health
- The Fight Escalates Against Fake Drugs
- Fermented Foods Are Making a Comeback
- Wean Yourself Off Processed Foods in 7 Steps
- An Update on Soy: It's Just So-So
- Is it OK to Take Ibuprofen P.M.?
- Colonoscopy: Is It Time to Go Virtual Colonoscopy
- Sleep Better Tonight (Fight Fatigue Tomorrow)
- Do-it-yourself Sunburn Remedies
- Take the Germ Quiz
- Healthy Mouth Equals Healthy Body
- 5 Biggest Flossing Mistakes
- Health Threat of Nitrates: Nitrites in Cured Meats
- Stop Dry Mouth Now
- Best Ways to Keep Your Teeth
- 5 Instant Ways to Stress Less and Smile More
- Be Suntan Savvy
- 4 Ways to Sneak in Sunblock
- Can Aspirin Do That, Too?
- A Natural Approach to Sweet Slumber
- Boost Your Brainpower
- Seeds of Life: Chia, Flax, Hemp and Pumpkin
- Microgreens Become Macro Trend to Follow
- Eat Your Way to a Healthy Smile
- Why and How to Get More Vitamin D
- Better Alternatives to Silver Fillings
- 5 Beach Safety Tips
- Traveling Light: Healthy Eating for Business Junketeers
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Shape-Shifting 'Tube Robot' Could Aid Heart Surgery
- Better Ways to Get Your Produce
- Cutting-Edge Cuisine Engages Senses Beyond Taste
- Eat for Your Eyesight
- Is It Better to Stop Smoking Abruptly or Gradually?
- Relieve Stress in 5 Minutes or Less
- Best Ways to Soothe Sensitive Teeth
- Turn a Clean Home Into a Healthy Home
- Largest Ever Cell Phone Cancer Study is Inconclusive
- Treating Early-Stage Esophageal Cancer
- TNF Inhibitors Offer Relief to Those With Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Advances in Breast Cancer Screening Helping to Fine-Tune Diagnosis
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.