Wendy Korn Heppt
Burping and farting. Babies love to do it; most kids think it’s hilarious. But for adults, gas is no joke. Nevertheless, "gas is a normal function, and everybody has it," says Dr. M. Michael Wolfe, a gastroenterologist and a professor at Case Western Reserve University and chair of the department of medicine at Metrohealth Medical Center. Fortunately, if you’ve got gas, there are real steps you can take to prevent -- and treat -- it.
Intestinal gas has two causes:
Swallowing too much air
This can happen if you’re nervous, or if you eat or drink too fast. Also, people with chronic heartburn or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) may swallow repeatedly in response to irritation in the esophagus caused by acid reflux. This, in turn, can lead to excess air.
Eating certain carbohydrates
Some carbohydrates can’t be fully digested by your body. "In that case, bacteria in the gut break down the food, producing gas, which eventually exits the body from above or below," explains Wolfe.
Whether gas makes you physically uncomfortable (with bloating or cramping) or merely embarrassed, simple lifestyle changes can help minimize it:
Don’t gobble or guzzle.
"You take in less air when you eat and drink slowly, and refrain from talking while doing so," says Wolfe. "I advise my patients to put down the fork or spoon in between bites and then chew and swallow."
Identify your problem foods.
Not all gassy foods affect all people, and since some of the gassiest foods are also the healthiest, you don’t want to eliminate them unless you have to. To help pinpoint your personal triggers, record everything you eat for a few days, keeping track of when gas occurs and whether the problem goes away if you stop eating a suspect food. Common culprits to watch out for include:
Legumes (beans, lentils)
Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower)
Milk (cheese, ice cream and other milk products)
Sorbitol and other sugar alcohols
Try a digestive enzyme.
If beans and other gassy plant foods are a problem, try a digestive supplement that contains alpha-galactosidase. This natural enzyme "helps your body break down the fibrous structure, which makes certain plant foods difficult to digest," explains Wolfe.
Be wary of dairy.
When we’re babies, our bodies produce plenty of lactase, the enzyme needed to digest lactose. But after we’re weaned, our bodies produce less and less lactase -- and our ability to digest lactose is diminished or even lost. "In that case, bacteria in your intestine do it for you, producing excess gas in the process," explains Wolfe. To figure out if lactose is a problem for you, try eliminating all dairy for a week. If gas goes away, then see if you can tolerate dairy in smaller doses. If not, switch to lactose-free products or take lactase enzyme supplements, which can help you break down lactose with less or no discomfort.
Get the gas out.
For a quick fix, Wolfe often recommends over-the-counter products containing simethicone, which works by breaking up gas bubbles so they’re easier to pass. To reduce the odor associated with gas, a dose of bismuth subsalicylate may help.
Try peppermint or fennel.
Sipping peppermint tea or chewing fennel seeds can help decrease bloating after large meals. However, peppermint can also trigger heartburn in some people, so avoid it if acid reflux is a problem for you.
Keep your cool.
Tension and anxiety can cause you to swallow air, and some people gulp air as a nervous habit. If you’re feeling stressed, stop and take a few slow, calming breaths.
See your doctor.
If all else fails, consult your doctor to rule out gastrointestinal disorders like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), heartburn or GERD, which can sometimes make gas especially problematic -- and vice versa.
"Causes of excess gas, the level of discomfort, and remedies can be different for everyone," says Wolfe. "Identifying your triggers and finding a solution really can help."
Wendy Korn Heppt is a New York City-based health and fitness writer whose work has appeared in numerous publications, including Health online, Prevention, Self, Consumer Reports, Newsday and NY Daily News.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Monitoring Cholesterol Valuable Way to Assess Ongoing Risk of Heart Disease
- What Can I Do About Blepharitis?
- Stay Healthy With Smart Contact Lenses
- Symptoms Could be Caused by Allergy Related to Snowy Weather
- Update From the Common Cold Front
- The Dangers of Prediabetes
- Got Gas?
- The Headache Trigger You Haven't Considered
- Dental Pain? Try Acupuncture
- What Could Dreams About Teeth Mean?
- Stop Achy Feet Now
- Are Those Canker Sores or Cancer?
- Step Away From the Scale
- Is Tap Water Better?
- Dreary Days Got You Down? Beat the Winter Blues
- 6 Common Myths and Misconceptions About Diabetes
- Atrial Fibrillation Won't Cause Heart Attack But Can Lead to Other Serious Complications
- Difficulties With Memory and Thinking May Develop in Some People With Parkinson's
- Most Cases of Gynocomastia Don't Cause Long-Term Complications
- Sarcopenia: The New Osteoporosis
- Keeping Bedbugs at Bay
- When Eyes Get Dry, And What You Can Try
- Natural Orifice Surgery Minimizes the Trauma of Open Surgery
- Overmedication: Are Americans Taking Too Many Drugs?
- Good Health Is A Sound Investment
- Mushrooms Have Medicinal As Well As Culinary Value
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Power Up with Hidden 'Superfoods'
- Strong Relationships Are Good For Your Health
- For Help With Medical Bills Cut a Deal With the Doctor
- Are You Overdosing on Dairy?
- How to Keep Your Teeth Healthy at Any Age
- How the Dentist Helps Your Heart
- Why Stress Can Be Good for You
- The Obesity - Cancer Connection
- The Far Reach of Fast Food
- Skip the Eggnog: These Holiday Foods Are Good For You
- Looking for the Mark of the Mediterranean Diet
- 12 Steps to Healthy Holidays
- Why Power Naps at Work Are Catching On
- Enjoy the Holidays Without Piling on the Pounds
- The Benefits of Indulgence
- The Best Way to Kill Germs
- Best Cold-buster Strategies
- Gift Giving Made Healthy
- Managing Dental Phobia
- Is the Bedbug Threat Real?
- 10 Ways to Stay Healthy During Holiday Travel
- Junk Food Addiction Is All Too Real
- Cranberries: Our Holiday Season's Sparkling Gem
- Foods that Fuel the Immune System
- Powerful Nutrition for Strong Bones
- Bone Up On Bone Health
- Music Only Path to Movement for Some People With Motor Disorders
- Counterfeit Medicines: Health and Harm
- FDA Cracks Down on Caffeine-Charged Alcoholic Drinks
- Fruit and Vegetables: Americans Fall Short
- How to Properly Eat Your Veggies
- Healthy Eating Tips for a Busy Lifestyle
- Top 10 Surprising Facts About Smiling
- Bad Habits That Are Good for You
- How to Decipher Product Labels
- New Applications Turning Cell Phones Into Medical Devices
- The Virtual Therapist Will See You Now
- New Findings Turning Coffee Into A 'Health Food'
- Food Allergies: When Food Bites Back
- Healthy Hot Drinks Avoid Caffeine and Sugar
- Have Glowing Skin for All Seasons
- Best Health Advice I Ever Got
- The Serious Hazards of Soda
- How to Turn Setbacks into Bounce-backs
- Stay Healthy When Everyone Else Is Sick
- How Personality Affects Your Health
- A Sensitive Issue: Salt Restriction
- Would Your Kitchen Pass a Restaurant Inspection?
- Should I Stop Taking B12 Supplements?
- Tap Water Toxins: Fact or Fiction?
- Love Your Liver: Natural Liver Support
- Healthy Eating Guide to Cereal
- Load Up On Vitamin C
- Vitamins That Keep Your Brain Young
- 5 Superfoods You're Not Eating
- Boost Dental Health with Honey and Agave Syrup
- Oral Health Sweet Shocker
- Screening Tests That Can Save Your Life
- Eat Fiber and Feel Better
- The Worst and Best Sweets for Your Teeth
- The Truth About Extreme Smile Makeovers
- A Smart Guide to Dietary Supplements
- Beat the Bedbug Epidemic
- Healthy Eating All Day
- Recreational Drugs Go Straight
- Normal Weight Obesity - A Growing Concern
- Got Gas?
- Hybrid Fruit: The New Super-food
- Is Indian Cuisine Healthy Cuisine?
- Is 'Ethnic' Cuisine Healthier?
- Is the H1N1 Flu Pandemic Over?
- 5 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- Surviving Cold Season: How Not to Get Sick
- 7 Healthy Habits in 7 Weeks
- Sleep More and Live Longer
- 4 Dangerous Health Emergencies: What to Do
- Heartburn-friendly Diet with Your Favorite Foods
- Put Brakes on Inflammation Through Diet and Lifestyle Strategies
- The Vibrant and Healthy Flavors of an Authentic Latin Diet
- Is It Hunger or Just Appetite?
- Stay Healthy the Easy Way
- The Importance of Dreams
- Boost Your Energy: Hour by Hour
- Stop Information Overload
- Breathe Like a Baby
- 5 Healthy Foods That Wreck Your Teeth
- Are You Falling for Dental Myths?
- Is Heart Attack Going Out of Style?
- Flu Season
- Preventive Care & Electronic Medical Records Guidelines Set
- Stone Age Diet Surprisingly Good For a Healthy Life Today
- New Tools Fuel Progress on Development of Genetically Engineered Farm Animals
- Beat Your Afternoon Energy Slump
- Small Healthy Habits With Big Health Benefits
- Relieve Stress and Uplift Spirits with Aromatherapy
- New Things To Try That Lift Your Spirits and Relieve Stress
- 5 Fast Breakfasts That Boost Your Health
- Much to Consider When Looking for a Primary Care Physician
- Apples Are the New Fish
- Watermelon: Summer's Antioxidant
- Prescription for Better Health: Go Alfresco?
- Are All Omega-3 Fats The Same?
- Sample a Semi-Vegetarian Lifestyle With a Flexitarian Diet
- Milk: When the First Food May Be the Best Food
- Foraging is Green Eating at Its Purest
- How to Lose Weight Safely
- Colleges Joining Effort to Turn Around Skyrocketing Obesity Rates
- Medical Claims for Marijauna - Just Blowing Smoke?
- The Hidden Health Benefits of Adult Braces
- 5 Things Your Dental Insurance Will Not Cover
- 4 Effortless Steps to Whiter Teeth
- 5 First-aid Tricks You Need to Know
- Heat Can Beat the Heart
- Eating for Your Blood Type -- Truth or Fiction?
- Salt Sensitivity Issue: Salt Restriction
- 5 Tips to Bulldoze a Bad Mood
- Genetically Engineered Foods Update: More Common Than You Think
- 5 Celebrity Trends That Could Harm Your Health
- Should You Travel Abroad for a Dental Procedure
- Super Foods to Boost Your Dental Health
- The Fight Escalates Against Fake Drugs
- Fermented Foods Are Making a Comeback
- Wean Yourself Off Processed Foods in 7 Steps
- An Update on Soy: It's Just So-So
- Is it OK to Take Ibuprofen P.M.?
- Colonoscopy: Is It Time to Go Virtual Colonoscopy
- Sleep Better Tonight (Fight Fatigue Tomorrow)
- Do-it-yourself Sunburn Remedies
- Take the Germ Quiz
- Healthy Mouth Equals Healthy Body
- 5 Biggest Flossing Mistakes
- Health Threat of Nitrates: Nitrites in Cured Meats
- Stop Dry Mouth Now
- Best Ways to Keep Your Teeth
- 5 Instant Ways to Stress Less and Smile More
- Be Suntan Savvy
- 4 Ways to Sneak in Sunblock
- Can Aspirin Do That, Too?
- A Natural Approach to Sweet Slumber
- Boost Your Brainpower
- Seeds of Life: Chia, Flax, Hemp and Pumpkin
- Microgreens Become Macro Trend to Follow
- Eat Your Way to a Healthy Smile
- Why and How to Get More Vitamin D
- Better Alternatives to Silver Fillings
- 5 Beach Safety Tips
- Traveling Light: Healthy Eating for Business Junketeers
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Shape-Shifting 'Tube Robot' Could Aid Heart Surgery
- Better Ways to Get Your Produce
- Cutting-Edge Cuisine Engages Senses Beyond Taste
- Eat for Your Eyesight
- Is It Better to Stop Smoking Abruptly or Gradually?
- Relieve Stress in 5 Minutes or Less
- Best Ways to Soothe Sensitive Teeth
- Turn a Clean Home Into a Healthy Home
- Largest Ever Cell Phone Cancer Study is Inconclusive
- Treating Early-Stage Esophageal Cancer
- TNF Inhibitors Offer Relief to Those With Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Advances in Breast Cancer Screening Helping to Fine-Tune Diagnosis
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.