Insulin Toppled As Ruler of Diabetes
Andy Coghlan, New Scientist Magazine
A pioneering hormone treatment may be the secret to an easy life for diabetics, consigning insulin shots and regular glucose monitoring to the medical history books.
Most people associate diabetes with insulin, the pancreatic hormone that dictates how much glucose circulates in blood. Type 1 diabetics have to inject the hormone because they can't make it themselves. Now, the spotlight is turning on insulin's lesser-known pancreatic twin, glucagon, as a treatment that could control blood glucose levels without the need for daily monitoring.
Whereas insulin clears surplus glucose from the blood after meals, squirreling it away in the liver, muscles and elsewhere, glucagon does the opposite when we are hungry, ordering the liver to release stores of glucose "fuel" into the blood or to make more if none is available.
To investigate glucagon's role,
"The bottom line is that without glucagon, you can't get diabetes," says Unger. Even more mystifying, when the mice consumed huge amounts of sugar in so-called "glucose tolerance" tests, their blood glucose levels remained normal, irrespective of whether or not they could make insulin (Diabetes).
"The implication for humans is that (without glucagons) you could drink 10 bottles of sugary drinks and your blood sugar would remain the same, with or without insulin," he says. "This was a huge surprise."
So theoretically, if glucagon could be safely neutralized in people with type 1 diabetes, their blood glucose levels would stay normal without them having to take insulin or constantly check that level.
"The only potential downside is too little glucose in the blood, or hypoglycemia," says Unger. But this would only likely become an issue if a person was due to run a marathon, or do something equally energy-sapping. "The answer would be to take a sugary drink with you," he says.
The results in mice are so encouraging that a trial has already begun to see if suppressing glucagon has similar benefits in people with diabetes.
"It's the first time that researchers will test leptin, in the form of an analogue called metreleptin, in people with type 1 diabetes to see if it can improve glucose control," a company spokeswoman told New Scientist. The volunteers will not go without insulin, but will receive the minimum safe amount.
Other diabetes researchers are encouraged, but cautious about the developments.
"If you get rid of the glucagon receptor, you get these dramatic changes," says
Cherrington says that the study leaves important questions unanswered. Firstly, where does surplus glucose go in the mice lacking glucagon and insulin? Unger agrees that this urgently needs investigation and says that tracer studies are under way with labeled glucose so its fate in the animals can be tracked. The most likely destination, according to Cherrington, is the liver, but if so, what happens when it is "full up"?
The key question is: how are the mice managing to regulate glucose if insulin is not involved? Cherrington's hunch is that glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), a hormone made in the gut, may be deputising. "GLP-1 may affect the liver and muscle in an insulin-like way, ordering them to store glucose," he says.
Drucker also says that suppressing glucagon levels, as expected in the leptin treatment, is probably safer than completely blocking the receptors. That's because blocking causes the cells that make glucagon to multiply rapidly to increase glucagon output, potentially resulting in the development of a pancreatic tumor. This shouldn't happen if glucagon action is only dampened.
Another question, of course, is how the finding will translate to people with type 1 diabetes, says
Although cautious, most commentators were confident that the finding could lead to new treatments, or at the very least to new insights challenging the historical pre-eminence of insulin.
"It raises a large number of issues challenging the classic dogma that insulin is the most important hormone in diabetic control," says Henry.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Insulin Toppled As Ruler of Diabetes
- Diet Does Play a Role in the Development of Some Forms of Arthritis
- ADD Begins in Childhood But Can Continue Into Adulthood
- Possible Risk Associated With Taking Vitamin E Supplements
- Keeping Cancer From Coming Back: Should Survivors Take Supplements?
- Disease of the Bile Ducts May Lead to Liver Damage or Failure
- When Discovered Early Whipple's Disease Can Often Be Treated With Antibiotics
- Is Anterior Hip Replacement Better?
- Self-Care Steps Can Help Keep Blood Pressure in Normal Range
- Overcoming Insomnia: Lifestyle Changes, Medication, Psychotherapy Can Help
- Monitoring Cholesterol Valuable Way to Assess Ongoing Risk of Heart Disease
- What Can I Do About Blepharitis?
- Stay Healthy With Smart Contact Lenses
- Symptoms Could be Caused by Allergy Related to Snowy Weather
- Update From the Common Cold Front
- The Dangers of Prediabetes
- Got Gas?
- The Headache Trigger You Haven't Considered
- Dental Pain? Try Acupuncture
- What Could Dreams About Teeth Mean?
- Stop Achy Feet Now
- The Obesity-Cancer Connection: Hormones and Chemicals in Fat Can Set the Stage
- Are You Diabetic? 6 Tips That Will Keep You Out of the Hospital
- Tips to Manage Blood Sugar
- Health Hints for Cold Weather: As the Seasons Change, So Does Air Quality
- What to Do About Dry Skin In Winter
- What Can You Tell Me About Surgery for Vertebral Fractures?
- Several Possible Causes Could be Source of Hand Tremors
- Variety of Factors Influence Breast Cancer Screening Schedule
- Low White Blood Cell Count Not Always a Sign of Medical Problem
- Endoscopic Ultrasound Produces Detailed Images From Deep Within the Body
- Are Those Canker Sores or Cancer?
- Step Away From the Scale
- Is Tap Water Better?
- Dreary Days Got You Down? Beat the Winter Blues
- 6 Common Myths and Misconceptions About Diabetes
- Atrial Fibrillation Won't Cause Heart Attack But Can Lead to Other Serious Complications
- Difficulties With Memory and Thinking May Develop in Some People With Parkinson's
- Most Cases of Gynocomastia Don't Cause Long-Term Complications
- Sarcopenia: The New Osteoporosis
- Keeping Bedbugs at Bay
- When Eyes Get Dry, And What You Can Try
- Natural Orifice Surgery Minimizes the Trauma of Open Surgery
- Overmedication: Are Americans Taking Too Many Drugs?
- Good Health Is A Sound Investment
- Mushrooms Have Medicinal As Well As Culinary Value
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Power Up with Hidden 'Superfoods'
- Strong Relationships Are Good For Your Health
- For Help With Medical Bills Cut a Deal With the Doctor
- Are You Overdosing on Dairy?
- How to Keep Your Teeth Healthy at Any Age
- How the Dentist Helps Your Heart
- Why Stress Can Be Good for You
- The Obesity - Cancer Connection
- The Far Reach of Fast Food
- Skip the Eggnog: These Holiday Foods Are Good For You
- Looking for the Mark of the Mediterranean Diet
- 12 Steps to Healthy Holidays
- Why Power Naps at Work Are Catching On
- Enjoy the Holidays Without Piling on the Pounds
- The Benefits of Indulgence
- The Best Way to Kill Germs
- Best Cold-buster Strategies
- Gift Giving Made Healthy
- Managing Dental Phobia
- Is the Bedbug Threat Real?
- 10 Ways to Stay Healthy During Holiday Travel
- Junk Food Addiction Is All Too Real
- Cranberries: Our Holiday Season's Sparkling Gem
- Foods that Fuel the Immune System
- Powerful Nutrition for Strong Bones
- Bone Up On Bone Health
- Music Only Path to Movement for Some People With Motor Disorders
- Counterfeit Medicines: Health and Harm
- FDA Cracks Down on Caffeine-Charged Alcoholic Drinks
- Fruit and Vegetables: Americans Fall Short
- How to Properly Eat Your Veggies
- Healthy Eating Tips for a Busy Lifestyle
- Top 10 Surprising Facts About Smiling
- Bad Habits That Are Good for You
- How to Decipher Product Labels
- New Applications Turning Cell Phones Into Medical Devices
- The Virtual Therapist Will See You Now
- New Findings Turning Coffee Into A 'Health Food'
- Food Allergies: When Food Bites Back
- Healthy Hot Drinks Avoid Caffeine and Sugar
- Have Glowing Skin for All Seasons
- Best Health Advice I Ever Got
- The Serious Hazards of Soda
- How to Turn Setbacks into Bounce-backs
- Stay Healthy When Everyone Else Is Sick
- How Personality Affects Your Health
- A Sensitive Issue: Salt Restriction
- Would Your Kitchen Pass a Restaurant Inspection?
- Should I Stop Taking B12 Supplements?
- Tap Water Toxins: Fact or Fiction?
- Love Your Liver: Natural Liver Support
- Healthy Eating Guide to Cereal
- Load Up On Vitamin C
- Vitamins That Keep Your Brain Young
- 5 Superfoods You're Not Eating
- Boost Dental Health with Honey and Agave Syrup
- Oral Health Sweet Shocker
- Screening Tests That Can Save Your Life
- Eat Fiber and Feel Better
- The Worst and Best Sweets for Your Teeth
- The Truth About Extreme Smile Makeovers
- A Smart Guide to Dietary Supplements
- Beat the Bedbug Epidemic
- Healthy Eating All Day
- Recreational Drugs Go Straight
- Normal Weight Obesity - A Growing Concern
- Insulin Toppled As Ruler of Diabetes
- Hybrid Fruit: The New Super-food
- Is Indian Cuisine Healthy Cuisine?
- Is 'Ethnic' Cuisine Healthier?
- Is the H1N1 Flu Pandemic Over?
- 5 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- Surviving Cold Season: How Not to Get Sick
- 7 Healthy Habits in 7 Weeks
- Sleep More and Live Longer
- 4 Dangerous Health Emergencies: What to Do
- Heartburn-friendly Diet with Your Favorite Foods
- Put Brakes on Inflammation Through Diet and Lifestyle Strategies
- The Vibrant and Healthy Flavors of an Authentic Latin Diet
- Is It Hunger or Just Appetite?
- Stay Healthy the Easy Way
- The Importance of Dreams
- Boost Your Energy: Hour by Hour
- Stop Information Overload
- Breathe Like a Baby
- 5 Healthy Foods That Wreck Your Teeth
- Are You Falling for Dental Myths?
- Is Heart Attack Going Out of Style?
- Flu Season
- Preventive Care & Electronic Medical Records Guidelines Set
- Stone Age Diet Surprisingly Good For a Healthy Life Today
- New Tools Fuel Progress on Development of Genetically Engineered Farm Animals
- Beat Your Afternoon Energy Slump
- Small Healthy Habits With Big Health Benefits
- Relieve Stress and Uplift Spirits with Aromatherapy
- New Things To Try That Lift Your Spirits and Relieve Stress
- 5 Fast Breakfasts That Boost Your Health
- Much to Consider When Looking for a Primary Care Physician
- Apples Are the New Fish
- Watermelon: Summer's Antioxidant
- Prescription for Better Health: Go Alfresco?
- Are All Omega-3 Fats The Same?
- Sample a Semi-Vegetarian Lifestyle With a Flexitarian Diet
- Milk: When the First Food May Be the Best Food
- Foraging is Green Eating at Its Purest
- How to Lose Weight Safely
- Colleges Joining Effort to Turn Around Skyrocketing Obesity Rates
- Medical Claims for Marijauna - Just Blowing Smoke?
- The Hidden Health Benefits of Adult Braces
- 5 Things Your Dental Insurance Will Not Cover
- 4 Effortless Steps to Whiter Teeth
- 5 First-aid Tricks You Need to Know
- Heat Can Beat the Heart
- Eating for Your Blood Type -- Truth or Fiction?
- Salt Sensitivity Issue: Salt Restriction
- 5 Tips to Bulldoze a Bad Mood
- Genetically Engineered Foods Update: More Common Than You Think
- 5 Celebrity Trends That Could Harm Your Health
- Should You Travel Abroad for a Dental Procedure
- Super Foods to Boost Your Dental Health
- The Fight Escalates Against Fake Drugs
- Fermented Foods Are Making a Comeback
- Wean Yourself Off Processed Foods in 7 Steps
- An Update on Soy: It's Just So-So
- Is it OK to Take Ibuprofen P.M.?
- Colonoscopy: Is It Time to Go Virtual Colonoscopy
- Sleep Better Tonight (Fight Fatigue Tomorrow)
- Do-it-yourself Sunburn Remedies
- Take the Germ Quiz
- Healthy Mouth Equals Healthy Body
- 5 Biggest Flossing Mistakes
- Health Threat of Nitrates: Nitrites in Cured Meats
- Stop Dry Mouth Now
- Best Ways to Keep Your Teeth
- 5 Instant Ways to Stress Less and Smile More
- Be Suntan Savvy
- 4 Ways to Sneak in Sunblock
- Can Aspirin Do That, Too?
- A Natural Approach to Sweet Slumber
- Boost Your Brainpower
- Seeds of Life: Chia, Flax, Hemp and Pumpkin
- Microgreens Become Macro Trend to Follow
- Eat Your Way to a Healthy Smile
- Why and How to Get More Vitamin D
- Better Alternatives to Silver Fillings
- 5 Beach Safety Tips
- Traveling Light: Healthy Eating for Business Junketeers
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Shape-Shifting 'Tube Robot' Could Aid Heart Surgery
- Better Ways to Get Your Produce
- Cutting-Edge Cuisine Engages Senses Beyond Taste
- Eat for Your Eyesight
- Is It Better to Stop Smoking Abruptly or Gradually?
- Relieve Stress in 5 Minutes or Less
- Best Ways to Soothe Sensitive Teeth
- Turn a Clean Home Into a Healthy Home
- Largest Ever Cell Phone Cancer Study is Inconclusive
- Treating Early-Stage Esophageal Cancer
- TNF Inhibitors Offer Relief to Those With Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Advances in Breast Cancer Screening Helping to Fine-Tune Diagnosis
Copyright © 2011 NEW SCIENTIST MAGAZINE. REED BUSINESS INFORMATION LTD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC.