Summer Beauty Makeover
Summer Beauty Makeover
Summer beauty is getting a makeover this year. The look is a bit bolder and more daring than in seasons past. It doesn't require a whole arsenal of new products or techniques. But it does take a willingness to depart from your tried-and-true hot-weather makeup and hair regimens.
Try at least a couple of these new tweaks, courtesy of celebrity makeup artist Tasha Reiko Brown. You'll be surprised how effortlessly modern they look and feel.
1. Skip the lip gloss
Instead, apply creamy color straight from the tube. Choose lipstick with a satin finish in bright sorbet colors like neon peach, raspberry, cotton-candy pink, lush melon. "Satin formulas pack a lot of pigment," says Brown, "but they're a lot friendlier than matte lipsticks." Matte may be a favorite on the fashion runways, but because the formulation lacks shine, it can look severe and dry on small lips and too intense on full lips.
2. Put down the bronzer
A summer staple, bronzer is taking a vacation this year. In its place, a straight-from-the-orchard burst of fruity color. Swap winter's rosy hues for peach, berry and tangerine. To make sure these shades look fresh rather than clownish, apply the color right on the apple of your cheeks. Choose a gel or cream blush instead of a powder, and look for a finish that doesn't have any shimmer to it. "You want the wash of color to melt right into your skin without any contouring or hard lines so it looks soft and natural," says Brown.
3. Quit the smoky eyes
If you've never quite mastered those multi-step smoky eye tutorials, here's good news: It's out of fashion this season, replaced by a foolproof wash of color from lash line to crease. Choose a melon, light gray, or citrusy lemon or lime hue. Apply with a fluffy eye shadow brush.
4. Lighten up on lashes
While there's not an actual back-lash taking place, fringes are getting a little less showy this summer. "If you do a really heavy lash with the colorful wash of shadow, you're going to end up with a look that's '80s rather than current," says Brown. "You want to keep your lashes clean and defined." Just curl and apply two coats of your favorite mascara to your top lashes.
5. Embrace your hair's natural texture
The flat iron is banned this summer, says Brown. Instead, the coolest look for those hot days is an off-the-face, pulled-back hairstyle that tames -- but doesn't totally subdue -- your hair's texture. Smooth your hair with a light styling cream that will hold it in place. Then, gather into a classic ballerina bun. Now, run your hands over your hair toward your face, freeing up the short pieces that don't make it into the bun. Spritz with a shine spray for a polished finish. The end result: on-purpose texture instead of out-of-control frizz.
- When to Splurge, When to Save!
- How to Rock a Tank Top
- Custom-blended Perfume Scents
- The One Secret for Beautiful Skin: Argan Oil
- Summer Beauty Makeover
- Simple DIY Foot Spa
- How to Have Healthier Hair
- 10 Easy Ways to Wear Citrus
- Manage Your Hair in the Heat
- From Damaged Hair to Dazzling Hair
- Gradual -- and Safe -- Way to Get a Golden Glow
- My Quest for Natural Perfume
- DIY Beauty Adventures: Oatmeal Mask
- 15 Smart Beauty Tricks for Spring
- Your Beauty Toolbox
- 6 Solutions for Stress-free Hair
- Weeding out the Closet
- Wake up More Beautiful: 5 Bedtime Beauty Tips
- 5 Biggest Makeup Mistakes
- 5 Morning Beauty Mistakes
- Three Quick Ways to Update Your Hair
- Six Tricks for Shiny Hair
- Get the 'Jersey Shore' Look
- Must-have Spring Accessory: The Belt
- 5 Looks That Age You -- and How to Fix Them
- Is the Steampunk Look for You?
- Top 3 Spring Makeup Trends to Try Today
- Your Most Flattering Neckline
- 5 Quick Volume Boosters
- Tailored Shirts at Off-the-rack Prices
- Top 4 Beauty Tips
- Find Jeans That Fit -- and Flatter
- What's in My Makeup Bag?
- Skin Care Essentials
- Jewelry Trend: Big Statement on a Small Budget
- How to Be a Red Carpet Beauty
- Party Makeup in 3 Minutes or Less
- Beauty SOS
Copyright © 2012 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.