Top 3 Fall and Winter Hair Trends
Top Hair Trends
The fashion forecast for fall and winter is a free-for-all with a dizzying diversity of styles and moods, and the same is true for hair. Take your pick: disheveled long hairstyles that are a throwback to the ’90s; sophisticated volume that revisits ’60s beehives or early ’70s chic; or a high-camp glam reinterpretation of the power woman. This season is all about choice, says celebrity hairstylist Sam McKnight, who worked his magic at some of the biggest runway shows, including those for Chanel, Mulberry, Prada, Vivienne Westwood and Fendi. “But whatever look you go for,” says McKnight, “it relies on great hair that’s been well cared for.”
Get your blow-dryers fired up: Here’s a step-by-step guide to the three biggest hair looks of the upcoming seasons.
Hair Trend No. 1: Power Glam
The perfect accompaniment to tailored, slightly masculine fashion, long hair is both slick and swingy.
Get This Look
1. Comb mousse through towel-dried hair, starting from the hairline, back about 4 to 6 inches to just behind your ears. Keep hair slick to the scalp on the top and sides.
2. Gently blow-dry the top of the head with a diffuser attachment.
3. Blow-dry the loose hair until it’s straight, beginning at the nape of the neck. Apply a smoothing serum, then flat iron the mid-length to the ends.
4. Mist with a shine hairspray. The finished look is slick and smooth on the top and sides, with the ends swinging.
Hair Trend No. 2: Groomed Grunge
It’s a “care less” look, but not a “careless” one. Think Kate Moss in the early ’90s, or Alicia Silverstone’s Cher in Clueless -- plaid and checks, head-to-toe leather and low-slung belts on jackets and coats. “The hair is easy,” says McKnight, “but there’s work involved in getting it to look this good.”
Get This Look
1. Towel dry freshly washed and conditioned hair.
2. Comb volumizing mousse through hair, starting 2 inches away from the roots to the ends.
3. Using a large round brush, blow-dry hair away from the face and add a slight bend at the ends.
4. Use fingers to create a messy part and twist hair at the roots to add texture and volume; use the blow-dryer to disrupt any overly coiffed sleekness.
5. Spray a flexible-hold hairspray into the air and walk through the mist.
Hair Trend No. 3: The Blow-up
Retro influences from the ’60s and early ’70s create a hodgepodge of ladylike but edgy looks -- Jackie O. meets Bianca Jagger meets Christina Hendricks’ Joan Harris on “Mad Men.” To complement these looks, hair gets voluminous in beehives, bouffant and beyond.
Get This Look
1. Work volumizing mousse into towel-dried hair from root to tip.
2. Blow-dry hair with head tipped upside down for maximum volume.
3. Starting at the crown, divide hair into small sections and back comb with a fine-toothed comb, starting 3 inches from the root and gently pushing hair to the scalp.
4. Standing back a foot or more, spritz each section with a volumizing hairspray.
5. Using a soft bristle brush, smooth over the top of the hair, brushing backward from the face. Mist again with hairspray.
6. Gather the ends of the hair loosely at the back and secure with a snag-free elastic.
7. Roll hair under and into the nape of the neck, tucking under and securing with bobby pins.
8. Allow loose tendrils to escape for a look of modern imperfection
Shelley Levitt, managing editor of The Style Glossy, is a former West Coast editor of Self magazine and senior writer at People.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Decoding Cosmetics Labels: A Little Sleuthing Can Tell You a Lot
- Five Must-have Fall Accessories
- Top 3 Fall and Winter Hair Trends
- Fashion Rules to Break
- How to Stretch Your Summer Wardrobe Into Fall
- Backstage Beauty from Runway to Real Way
- Style Extras to Make You Look Like a Rock Star
- Your Man's Grooming
- Flaunting Your Freckles
- The 411 on Facials
- Foods for Beautiful Skin
- How to Cover Grays
- 6 Tricks for Shiny Hair
- 5 Steps to Fabulous Fall Hair
- Keep Your Faux Tan Going
- Vampire Makeup
- The Right Style of Bangs for Your Face
- Deep Side Parts
- Year-round Sunscreen Secrets
- Get That Celebrity Look
- The Perfect Jeans Wardrobe
- The Best Lighting for Makeup Application
- Post-Summer Skin and Hair Rehab
- Give Your Man a Style Makeover
- Quick Tips for Beautiful Hair
- Hassle-free Haircuts for Busy Moms
- Trend Alert: Matte Hair Styles
- Brazilian Blowout
- Keep Your Favorite Clothes Looking Like New
- 1980s Style: Take 2
- Get That Look
- What to Pack for a Weekend Getaway
- Beauty Below the Chin
- Anti-Frizz Products for Medium - Thick Hair
- The Right Haircut for Your Personality
- Be a Beautiful Brunette
- Secrets to Getting Gorgeous Hair
- Personalize This Summer's Trends
- Be Product-ive With Your Hair
- Mature Makeup Makeovers
- Custom-blended Perfume Scents
- Summer Style Rules for Work
- Hot Summer Trends at Cool Prices
- Stop Oily Skin This Summer
- The Boom in Full-figure Bras
- Extreme Hair Makeover: Are You Ready for It?
- Wake up Sleepy Eyes
- Fashion Week Nail Trends
- Protect Your Hair on Vacation
- Simple Ways to Go Green in Your Beauty Routine
- Spa Treatments From Your Kitchen
- Love Your Body in a Bathing Suit
- Six Tricks for Shiny Beautiful Hair
- The Beauty Rules of Order
- Closet Organization Made Easy
- Dress Better Than Your Boyfriend
- Solutions for Oily Hair
- Summer Hair Protection
- How to Build a Year-round Wardrobe
- From the It Bag to the Do-it-your-way Bag
- How to Dye Your Hair at Home
- The Most Gorgeous Hair in Sports
- Pluck Your Eyebrows Like a Pro
- Fashion Runway-Style Hair
- From Neglected to Natural Nails
- Look Fashionable on Any Budget
- Weatherproof Beauty
- Buh-Bye, Bed Head!
- Fight Frizz Before It Starts
- Be Your Best in a Dress
- The DIY Blow dry
- Gorgeous Hair: Getting Most from Conditioners
- Jewelry Trend: Big Statement on a Small Budget
- Day-to-night Chic in a Flash
- How to Be a Red Carpet Beauty
- Beauty SOS
- Party Makeup in 3 Minutes or Less
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.