Dress Away the Pounds
Stephanie Tweito Jacob
Dress Away the Pounds
Think diet and exercise are the only things affecting how slim you look? What you wear can add or subtract pounds too -- really! “Clothes can make a 100 percent difference in how thin you look,” says Charla Krupp, author of the best-seller How to Never Look Fat Again: Over 1,000 Ways to Dress Thinner--Without Dieting!.
The secret is to know which cuts, styles and colors work in your favor.
“Think of your wardrobe like food,” says Krupp. “Clothes are either high-fat or low-fat. And the four major ingredients that make a piece of clothing high-fat or not are fit, fabric, shape and color.”
Two general rules for shopping: Look for items that fit well -- not too big or too tight -- in slimming colors like navy and charcoal. And avoid fabrics that add bulk, like plush velvet. Follow these additional tips to adjust your wardrobe based on your own individual shape -- and get ready to hear, “Wow! Did you lose weight?”
Here’s how to do that:
1. Trim your tummy.
For many women, even regular sessions of crunches aren’t enough to flatten what Krupp calls a “Buddha belly.” Here’s how to achieve the flat-abs look with your wardrobe:
Start with the right underwear. These basics are 50 percent of the game, says Krupp. A high-waist, bike-short style panty -- especially shapewear -- will protect you against the dreaded “muffin top” effect of your tummy spilling over your waistband.
Next, reach for empire-waist dresses (where the waistline falls just below your bust). This draws attention away from your midsection. Another option: pair longer, hip-length tunics or peasant-style tops with slim, straight-leg pants or jeans. The key is to keep either your top or your bottom flowy or loose -- not both.
Wear prints. Stick with dark, solid colors to stay looking slim. And avoid tops that fall at your waistline, since they will draw attention to the problem area.
2. Disguise un-toned arms.
Many women -- even those who are otherwise fit -- might want to keep their arms under wraps to avoid showing off extra weight, says Krupp.
Wear fitted jackets and cardigans in medium-weight fabrics with three-quarter-length sleeves over simple, tailored tops and dresses. Your jackets should have some shape to the sleeves and cut in a bit at the waist.
Go for loose, puffy sleeves that say, “Look right here!”
3. Slim your backside.
When your booty looks great, you’re bound to feel more confident. Get the look you want with these rules.
Invest in a pair of boot-cut or straight-leg jeans in a dark wash. They should have plain back pockets that are large and placed close together.
Wear baggy or skinny-leg styles. When buying both skirts and pants, steer clear of prints and light colors, as well as tops that end at the fullest point of your rear end. Instead, go for lightweight cardigans and tunics that fall just below your bottom.
4. Downplay a large bust.
If you’ve got it but you don’t necessarily want to flaunt it, here’s how to make the least of your bust.
Get a bra fitting. This is one of the fastest ways to look thinner, says Krupp (up to 80 percent of women wear the wrong size). Plus, a properly fitted bra will instantly make your torso look leaner.
Next, choose fitted V-neck (not low-cut) tops and dresses. They highlight your neck and decolletage, which is a pretty area for most women, says Krupp. Stick with simple, no-bulk fabrics without embellishments.
Reach for turtlenecks (they draw attention right to the middle of your chest) or dresses with pockets. Tucking in your tops is another no-no -- it shortens your torso, making your bust look larger.
Available at Amazon.com:
- How to Wear Prints This Fall
- Dry Shampoo Techniques
- Top 3 Radiance-Boosting Beauty Tricks
- New and Improved: The Jegging
- Integrate 'Mad Men' Fashion Style Into Your Wardrobe
- Dress Away the Pounds
- Beauty Habits That Add on Years
- Treats for Skin
- How to Tame Your Curly Textured Hair
- The Perfect Face for Special Events
- Get Glowing All Over Beauty Treatments
- Change Your Hair Color Change Your Makeup
- The Costume Hater's Guide to Halloween
- Decoding Cosmetics Labels: A Little Sleuthing Can Tell You a Lot
- Five Must-have Fall Accessories
- Top 3 Fall and Winter Hair Trends
- Fashion Rules to Break
- How to Stretch Your Summer Wardrobe Into Fall
- Backstage Beauty from Runway to Real Way
- Style Extras to Make You Look Like a Rock Star
- Your Man's Grooming
- Flaunting Your Freckles
- The 411 on Facials
- Foods for Beautiful Skin
- How to Cover Grays
- 6 Tricks for Shiny Hair
- 5 Steps to Fabulous Fall Hair
- Keep Your Faux Tan Going
- Vampire Makeup
- The Right Style of Bangs for Your Face
- Deep Side Parts
- Year-round Sunscreen Secrets
- Get That Celebrity Look
- The Perfect Jeans Wardrobe
- The Best Lighting for Makeup Application
- Post-Summer Skin and Hair Rehab
- Give Your Man a Style Makeover
- Quick Tips for Beautiful Hair
- Hassle-free Haircuts for Busy Moms
- Trend Alert: Matte Hair Styles
- Brazilian Blowout
- Keep Your Favorite Clothes Looking Like New
- 1980s Style: Take 2
- Get That Look
- What to Pack for a Weekend Getaway
- Beauty Below the Chin
- Anti-Frizz Products for Medium - Thick Hair
- The Right Haircut for Your Personality
- Be a Beautiful Brunette
- Secrets to Getting Gorgeous Hair
- Personalize This Summer's Trends
- Be Product-ive With Your Hair
- Mature Makeup Makeovers
- Custom-blended Perfume Scents
- Summer Style Rules for Work
- Hot Summer Trends at Cool Prices
- Stop Oily Skin This Summer
- The Boom in Full-figure Bras
- Extreme Hair Makeover: Are You Ready for It?
- Wake up Sleepy Eyes
- Fashion Week Nail Trends
- Protect Your Hair on Vacation
- Simple Ways to Go Green in Your Beauty Routine
- Spa Treatments From Your Kitchen
- Love Your Body in a Bathing Suit
- Six Tricks for Shiny Beautiful Hair
- The Beauty Rules of Order
- Closet Organization Made Easy
- Dress Better Than Your Boyfriend
- Solutions for Oily Hair
- Summer Hair Protection
- How to Build a Year-round Wardrobe
- From the It Bag to the Do-it-your-way Bag
- How to Dye Your Hair at Home
- The Most Gorgeous Hair in Sports
- Pluck Your Eyebrows Like a Pro
- Fashion Runway-Style Hair
- From Neglected to Natural Nails
- Look Fashionable on Any Budget
- Weatherproof Beauty
- Buh-Bye, Bed Head!
- Fight Frizz Before It Starts
- Be Your Best in a Dress
- The DIY Blow dry
- Gorgeous Hair: Getting Most from Conditioners
- Jewelry Trend: Big Statement on a Small Budget
- Day-to-night Chic in a Flash
- How to Be a Red Carpet Beauty
- Beauty SOS
- Party Makeup in 3 Minutes or Less
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.