Six Tips for Sporting Denim This Spring
Denim is the Jay Leno of fabrics: omnipresent, comfortable and palatable to practically any demographic -- provided you've picked the right pieces for your frame and desired image.
Constance Dunn, fashion stylist and blogger of PracticalGlamour.org, recommends spending time in a fine department store or a high-end men's boutique looking at the difference between casual daily jeans and higher-end denim. Examine the difference in silhouettes, fabric, construction and hardware. Then, be prepared to spend more on dress denim than your default dungarees. The payout will have a definite payoff ... in a more tailored and sophisticated look.
Here are Dunn's tips on getting the right wash, cut and denim-on-denim combos:
The Right Wash
Stick with lightweight fabrics and lighter hues to be both comfortable and adaptable to any occasion. Choose nubby, linen-textured finishes -- think Ralph Lauren or Tommy Bahama. But avoid acid wash like Milli Vanilli. It's dated and only considered fashionable at low-end bowling tournaments.
The Right Cut
Get a more polished look by selecting a high-end fabric sheen pant with a leaner silhouette throughout the seat and leg, like styles from Michael Kors or John Varvatos.
Steer clear of skinny jeans. They've been popular for the last few seasons, but it's not easy to look good in them -- unless you are very thin and going for a mod look. Otherwise, they amplify the keg-on-legs body silhouette.
Coordinate pieces with a consistent cut and style. For instance, if the jeans you are wearing have a lean leg silhouette and are made in a lightweight, draped fabric, don't pair them with a starchy, oversized denim shirt or heavyweight denim jacket.
The Right Look
Don't overdo the denim. Too much denim in any outfit will leave you looking like an escaped con from a prison work farm. Only match blue jeans with a blue denim shirt or jacket when there's a definite difference in the items being paired. Look for contrast in terms of color, material weight and finish. Think fitted, crisp blue denim jeans with a relaxed, lightweight and lighter-color denim button shirt in cream. Or, pair a smart, nubby-textured navy denim jacket with a matching navy T-shirt, then add some nice gray trousers.
Accessorize appropriately by pairing relaxed -- but well-fitting -- denim with a nice pair of dress shoes and a coordinated belt. Just don't let worlds collide between your ankles and waist: no clunky western belts worn with sleek English brogues.
Brian O'Connor is a print and online journalist. He is a former contributing editor at Men's Fitness and executive editor at Genre. He has also written for Slate, San Francisco Weekly and the New York Daily News, among other publications.
Available at Amazon.com
- Spring's Fresh Makeup Shades
- Spring Makeup: Sunny Colors
- The Best Blondes for Spring
- The Hottest Nail Colors This Season
- Six Tips for Sporting Denim This Spring
- Simple Ways to Spring-clean Your Closet
- Make Over Your Spring Skin Care
- Hair Styles: 1920s-inspired Waves
- Hair Color Trend: Brunettes Are Back
- Make Over Your Hair and Makeup for Spring
- Making Sense of Fashion Sense
- Hair Products: Do You Need His-and-hers?
- How to Wear Spring's Pastel Makeup
- Express Beauty: Get Gorgeous in No Time
- Get a Short Hairdo -- or Try One Virtually
- Styling a Ponytail Video
- Quick Ways to Create Texture and Volume Video
- Makeup Trend: Orange Lipstick
- Spring's Must-have Statement Jewelry
- Four Steps to a New Spring Look
- Four Ways to Fake Great Legs
- Celebrity Hair Comeback: The Farrah Flip
- The Modern Smoky Eye
- Beauty From the Inside Out
- Celebrity Style: Best Oscar Hair
- Kate Middleton: Royal Wedding Beauty
- Amanda Peet's Beauty Secrets
- Mix-and-match Your Wardrobe for Spring
- Switch up Your Hair Care Routine
- Find the Right Conditioner for Your Hair
- New Bang Trend: Center-parted Bangs
- Your Guide to Face Primers
- Simple Ways to Touch up Hair and Makeup
- Get Inspired by Fashion Icons
- All About the Gel Manicure
- Top Hair and Beauty Trends From the Oscars
- Updo? Can Do!
- Add Shine to Your Hair
- How to Get Gorgeous as You Sleep
- Winter Shorts
- Blond Pixies
- Hair and Makeup Trends: New York Fall Fashion Week
- Hair Trends: Chin-Length Bob
- Kate Walsh's Beauty Tips
- Get a Natural-looking Faux Tan
- The Best Hair and Beauty Trends From the Grammys
- Create Flawless Skin With Concealer
- Best Oscar Makeup
- New York Fashion Week Makeup Forecast
- New Hair Trends for Spring
- Add Color to Your Winter-weather Wardrobe
- Celebrity Hair Trend: Fake-out Hairstyles
- The Most Painless Way to Grow Out a Layered Bob
- How to Choose a Pixie Cut
- Celebrity Makeup for the Oscars
- Simple Steps for Healthy Skin and Hair
- Tailored Shirts at Off-the-rack Prices
- Hot Looks for Date Night
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.