Top Hairstyles to Do With a Curling Iron
Top Hairstyles - Curling Iron
It’s the secret to Beyonce’s barrel waves, Kim Kardashian’s sexy bedhead look and the glamorous cascade of curls that stars regularly show off on the red carpet.
We’re talking about curling irons. “You can change the whole texture and personality of your hair in just a few minutes with a curling iron,” says Mezei Jefferson, a Chicago-based salon educator. “It will also help boost volume and add fullness to baby-fine hair.”
There are a variety of different curling irons that create curls of different size and tightness.
Here’s how to find the one that’s right for you.
These curling irons have raised ridges on the barrel. To create the telephone-cord curls of Mariah Carey or Sarah Jessica Parker, simply twist your hair around the spiral pattern. The closer the grooves, the tighter the curls. For cascading ribbon curls with volume at the roots, choose a spiral iron with a tapered barrel.
- Work with diagonal sections of hair to get closer to your scalp and create small bouncy curls.
- After you curl a section of your hair, pin it to your scalp to keep your curls intact as you continue styling the rest of your hair.
Megan Fox and “Glee” stars Jayma Mays and Dianna Argon all rocked retro Hollywood glamour at this year’s Golden Globes with romantic, wavy texture. To create this look, choose a spring curling iron with a barrel size of at least 1 inch. The longer your hair, the larger the barrel you’ll want: Opt for a barrel of 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches for mid-length hair, or 2 inches if your hair is shoulder-length or longer. Spring curling irons are a great tool for novice curlers; the clip helps you keep a firm grip on your hair as you work.
- Begin working from the middle of the hair shaft. Roll hair in the direction of your scalp. Then open the clip and feed in your ends.
- To protect hair, use as little heat as needed. Start with a temperature of 300 F. If that doesn’t give you the hold you want, gradually move on to hotter settings, increasing heat by 25 F at a time.
Double- or triple-barreled curling irons give you that just-back-from-the-beach look you’re craving in the middle of winter. This is the tool to choose if you want the tousled tresses of Taylor Swift or Blake Lively.
- For an authentic beachy look, start with day-old hair rather than just-shampooed locks.
- Apply a light holding spray before curling, and then work with horizontal sections of hair, rolling up to about 1 inch from your scalp.
Tips for All Types of Curls
- Apply a silicone-based serum before using the curling iron to protect your hair against heat damage.
- After curling, apply pomade or a silicone-based styling product. Work through your hair gently, and then finger-comb your hair to separate curls.
- Keep the barrel of your iron clean. Run a smooth, dry cloth over it when it’s still warm -- not hot -- to remove dust and product buildup.
- Make sure your hair is absolutely dry before you use your curling iron. Otherwise, you’ll end up with limp, ill-formed curls that will wilt in one to two hours.
- Always work with small sections of hair and hold the curl around the curling iron for 10 seconds, then release.
- Spray each section with a light mist of flexible-hold hairspray.
Photo Credit: @iStockphoto.com/coloroftime
Shelley Levitt, managing editor of The Style Glossy, is a former West Coast editor of SELF magazine and senior writer at People
Available at Amazon.com
- Hot Looks for Date Night
- Makeover Your Life -- Today!
- Best Hair and Makeup Trends at the Golden Globes
- Find Your Most Flattering Red Hair Color
- Hair Trend - Swoopy Bangs
- Top Hairstyles to Do With a Curling Iron
- The Latest Gel Products and Tactics for Men
- Brighten up Your Winter Style
- Perk up Your Winter Wardrobe
- Business Casual on a Budget
- The Moon Manicure
- Skin Care Resolutions
- Go Bold With Burgundy Lips
- Fashionable Turbans
- Sparkling Winter Style
- Stylish New Twists to the Classic Shirt-and-tie Look
- Elements of the Right Hairstylist
- Best Ways to Beat Winter Skin
- Quick Beauty Tips
- Braided Updos Seen on Celebrities
- 1970s Style, Take 2
- Simple Solutions for Winter Hat-hair
- Instant Hair and Makeup Makeover
- Latest Hair Color Trends
- Put a Brake on Blond Hair Color
- Easy Solutions for Dry Winter Skin
- Quick Tricks to Look Gorgeous
- Post-party Rejuvenation Tricks
- My Beauty Wish List
- Men's Shoes With High Style at Low Temperatures
- Grooming Tips He Can Learn From You
- Give Your Wardrobe a Makeover
- Stress and Your Skin
- How to Preserve Your Party Hair
- Celebrity Hair Trend: Grecian Updos
- Red Hot Looks for Winter
- Shopping Strategies for the Perfect Closet
- Anti-aging Hair Care
- Holiday Fashions for Every Occasion
- Solving Your Most Common Fashion Mistakes
- Healthy Hair Tips from the Inside-out
- Side-Ponytail Hair Trend
- How do I pick the right shade of at-home hair color?
- Hot New Hair Accessories
- Avoid Bad Hair Days This Winter
- Makeup Trend Alert: Violet Eyes
- How to Look Gorgeous in Metallic Makeup
- Best Lighting for Makeup Application
- The No-mascara Makeup Look
- Modern Holiday Makeup
- Have Glowing Skin for All Seasons
- Revise Your Wardrobe for Fall
- Skin Care Smarts
- Banish Dry Winter Skin
- Cold-weather Hair Care
- Top Makeup Tips From New York Fashion Week
- Seeing Red? Tomato-red Hair Color
- 5 Steps to Smoky Eyes
- How to Wear Prints This Fall
- Dry Shampoo Techniques
- Top 3 Radiance-Boosting Beauty Tricks
- New and Improved: The Jegging
- Integrate 'Mad Men' Fashion Style Into Your Wardrobe
- Dress Away the Pounds
- Beauty Habits That Add on Years
- Treats for Skin
- How to Tame Your Curly Textured Hair
- The Perfect Face for Special Events
- Get Glowing All Over Beauty Treatments
- Change Your Hair Color Change Your Makeup
- The Costume Hater's Guide to Halloween
- Decoding Cosmetics Labels: A Little Sleuthing Can Tell You a Lot
- Five Must-have Fall Accessories
- Top 3 Fall and Winter Hair Trends
- Fashion Rules to Break
- How to Stretch Your Summer Wardrobe Into Fall
- Backstage Beauty from Runway to Real Way
- Style Extras to Make You Look Like a Rock Star
- Your Man's Grooming
- Flaunting Your Freckles
- The 411 on Facials
- Foods for Beautiful Skin
- How to Cover Grays
- 6 Tricks for Shiny Hair
- 5 Steps to Fabulous Fall Hair
- Keep Your Faux Tan Going
- Vampire Makeup
- The Right Style of Bangs for Your Face
- Deep Side Parts
- Year-round Sunscreen Secrets
- Get That Celebrity Look
- The Perfect Jeans Wardrobe
- The Top Hairstyles to Do With a Curling Iron
- Post-Summer Skin and Hair Rehab
- Give Your Man a Style Makeover
- Quick Tips for Beautiful Hair
- Hassle-free Haircuts for Busy Moms
- Trend Alert: Matte Hair Styles
- Brazilian Blowout
- Keep Your Favorite Clothes Looking Like New
- 1980s Style: Take 2
- Get That Look
- What to Pack for a Weekend Getaway
- Beauty Below the Chin
- Anti-Frizz Products for Medium - Thick Hair
- The Right Haircut for Your Personality
- Be a Beautiful Brunette
- Secrets to Getting Gorgeous Hair
- Personalize This Summer's Trends
- Be Product-ive With Your Hair
- Mature Makeup Makeovers
- Custom-blended Perfume Scents
- Summer Style Rules for Work
- Hot Summer Trends at Cool Prices
- Stop Oily Skin This Summer
- The Boom in Full-figure Bras
- Extreme Hair Makeover: Are You Ready for It?
- Wake up Sleepy Eyes
- Fashion Week Nail Trends
- Protect Your Hair on Vacation
- Simple Ways to Go Green in Your Beauty Routine
- Spa Treatments From Your Kitchen
- Love Your Body in a Bathing Suit
- Six Tricks for Shiny Beautiful Hair
- The Beauty Rules of Order
- Closet Organization Made Easy
- Dress Better Than Your Boyfriend
- Solutions for Oily Hair
- Summer Hair Protection
- How to Build a Year-round Wardrobe
- From the It Bag to the Do-it-your-way Bag
- How to Dye Your Hair at Home
- The Most Gorgeous Hair in Sports
- Pluck Your Eyebrows Like a Pro
- Fashion Runway-Style Hair
- From Neglected to Natural Nails
- Look Fashionable on Any Budget
- Weatherproof Beauty
- Buh-Bye, Bed Head!
- Fight Frizz Before It Starts
- Be Your Best in a Dress
- The DIY Blow dry
- Gorgeous Hair: Getting Most from Conditioners
- Jewelry Trend: Big Statement on a Small Budget
- Day-to-night Chic in a Flash
- How to Be a Red Carpet Beauty
- Beauty SOS
- Party Makeup in 3 Minutes or Less
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.