Dry Shampoo Techniques
Dry Shampoo Techniques
Whether you’re in a hurry and don’t have time to wash and style your hair, or you want to stretch time between washings to protect your hair color from fading, dry shampoo just may be the product you need.
“The biggest benefit of dry shampoo is that it removes excess oil and buildup, while reenergizing your style so that it lasts an extra day or two, sometimes three or four,” says Vincent Lann, a stylist at Blow, the New York Blow Dry Bar.
The combination of reduced heat styling tools and less frequent washing keeps your hair healthier and its color vibrant.
The Best Time to Use Dry Shampoo
When you use dry shampoo will help increase its effectiveness:
- The best time in your blowout cycle varies from person to person, but a good general rule of thumb is on the night of the second day or the start of third.
- Fine, limp hair can benefit from an end-of-day rejuvenating touch-up. Give your head a good once-over, leave it for a few minutes and then brush through it.
- Hit the gym often? Put some of the dry shampoo around your hairline and in your roots before your workout and wear a sweatband. This will help absorb some of the sweat and oil.
- Use dry shampoo at night for better absorption. The friction from the pillow helps make it absorb easier and protects hair from the nighttime greasies.
Dry Shampoo Application Techniques
To avoid the rough or dull hair that dry shampoo can cause, try these strategies:
- It is best to only use it on the roots, where hair retains the most oil. (Hair doesn’t produce the oil, our scalp does.)
- For spray applicators, shake the can, hold the bottle 8 to 10 inches away from your hair and spray. Leave the product in for a minute or two to soak up oil.
- If you choose powder, dot it along the roots and desired areas. Or try the convenient brush-on applicator, which allows you to control the amount of powder. Tap to release excess powder then apply it.
- Lift hair section by section and apply the dry shampoo along the root area.
- After application, let the dry shampoo absorb for a minute or two and gently massage the scalp. Brush through and then style as usual.
- Avoid all wax products when using dry shampoo, since these styling aids tend to make hair dirty.
Susan Trumpbour is a former beauty editor and has contributed to Glamour, Good Housekeeping and Woman's Day. She is the editor and founder of MyBeautyberry.com.
- How to Wear Prints This Fall
- Dry Shampoo Techniques
- Top 3 Radiance-Boosting Beauty Tricks
- New and Improved: The Jegging
- Integrate 'Mad Men' Fashion Style Into Your Wardrobe
- Dress Away the Pounds
- Beauty Habits That Add on Years
- Treats for Skin
- How to Tame Your Curly Textured Hair
- The Perfect Face for Special Events
- Get Glowing All Over Beauty Treatments
- Change Your Hair Color Change Your Makeup
- The Costume Hater's Guide to Halloween
- Decoding Cosmetics Labels: A Little Sleuthing Can Tell You a Lot
- Five Must-have Fall Accessories
- Top 3 Fall and Winter Hair Trends
- Fashion Rules to Break
- How to Stretch Your Summer Wardrobe Into Fall
- Backstage Beauty from Runway to Real Way
- Style Extras to Make You Look Like a Rock Star
- Your Man's Grooming
- Flaunting Your Freckles
- The 411 on Facials
- Foods for Beautiful Skin
- How to Cover Grays
- 6 Tricks for Shiny Hair
- 5 Steps to Fabulous Fall Hair
- Keep Your Faux Tan Going
- Vampire Makeup
- The Right Style of Bangs for Your Face
- Deep Side Parts
- Year-round Sunscreen Secrets
- Get That Celebrity Look
- The Perfect Jeans Wardrobe
- The Best Lighting for Makeup Application
- Post-Summer Skin and Hair Rehab
- Give Your Man a Style Makeover
- Quick Tips for Beautiful Hair
- Hassle-free Haircuts for Busy Moms
- Trend Alert: Matte Hair Styles
- Brazilian Blowout
- Keep Your Favorite Clothes Looking Like New
- 1980s Style: Take 2
- Get That Look
- What to Pack for a Weekend Getaway
- Beauty Below the Chin
- Anti-Frizz Products for Medium - Thick Hair
- The Right Haircut for Your Personality
- Be a Beautiful Brunette
- Secrets to Getting Gorgeous Hair
- Personalize This Summer's Trends
- Be Product-ive With Your Hair
- Mature Makeup Makeovers
- Custom-blended Perfume Scents
- Summer Style Rules for Work
- Hot Summer Trends at Cool Prices
- Stop Oily Skin This Summer
- The Boom in Full-figure Bras
- Extreme Hair Makeover: Are You Ready for It?
- Wake up Sleepy Eyes
- Fashion Week Nail Trends
- Protect Your Hair on Vacation
- Simple Ways to Go Green in Your Beauty Routine
- Spa Treatments From Your Kitchen
- Love Your Body in a Bathing Suit
- Six Tricks for Shiny Beautiful Hair
- The Beauty Rules of Order
- Closet Organization Made Easy
- Dress Better Than Your Boyfriend
- Solutions for Oily Hair
- Summer Hair Protection
- How to Build a Year-round Wardrobe
- From the It Bag to the Do-it-your-way Bag
- How to Dye Your Hair at Home
- The Most Gorgeous Hair in Sports
- Pluck Your Eyebrows Like a Pro
- Fashion Runway-Style Hair
- From Neglected to Natural Nails
- Look Fashionable on Any Budget
- Weatherproof Beauty
- Buh-Bye, Bed Head!
- Fight Frizz Before It Starts
- Be Your Best in a Dress
- The DIY Blow dry
- Gorgeous Hair: Getting Most from Conditioners
- Jewelry Trend: Big Statement on a Small Budget
- Day-to-night Chic in a Flash
- How to Be a Red Carpet Beauty
- Beauty SOS
- Party Makeup in 3 Minutes or Less
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.