Beauty Habits That Add on Years
Robin Immerman Gruen
Antiaging Beauty Habits
We all have one: that friend who looks too good for her age.
Even though you graduated from college the same year, her wrinkles and pores are invisible to the naked eye while you use moisturizer and eye cream like it’s going out of style. She’s also the one who -- not surprisingly -- looks rested and bright-eyed, even after the two of you stayed up too late the night before, sipping wine and munching popcorn.
Here’s what she’ll never tell you: It’s not luck the luck of the genetic draw, it’s knowing the secrets of your makeup vanity.
Read on for the antiaging beauty habits that will help turn back the clock.
Old Habit: Pile on concealer.
Antiaging Secret: Moisturize first.
The skin surrounding your eyes is the thinnest, but it’s also the zone that tends to look dry quickest and easiest. If you use concealer sans eye cream, the wrinkles you’re trying to hide become more obvious as concealer settles into fine lines, according to Chicago makeup artist Taryn Kessler. A smarter way to keep the area fresh and dewy is to dab on a rich eye cream before applying concealer. “Eye cream and concealer go hand in hand. First, the eye cream hydrates really well, so the area is moist. Next, the concealer works to camouflage discoloration,” says Kessler.
Old Habit: Sprinkle on sparkle.
Antiaging Secret: Matte knows best.
If your tween daughter obsesses over it, chances are pretty high that you should skip it altogether. Sparkly, shimmer-flecked makeup looks beautiful on the under-30 crowd; for the rest of us, it only draws attention to our flaws, including fine lines, wrinkles and sallow skin. New York makeup artist Tamah Krinsky suggests sticking with matte makeup for eyes, cheeks and lips alike.
Old Habit: Brush on bronzer.
Antiaging Secret: Make yourself blush.
A morning-after glow is attainable at any age, regardless of how much you tossed and turned last night. Kessler suggests blush in lieu of bronzer, as sun-kissed skin is an instant ager. A tan -- whether it’s via the sun or a cosmetic product -- is associated with teens, so the older you are, the less believable it looks. Instead, fake that flushed, fresh look easily with pink cream blush, applied to the apples of your cheeks, then blended upward slightly.
Old Habit: Line your lips.
Antiaging Secret: Go with a gloss.
As you age, the skin around your lips gets saggy, thanks to a loss in collagen and elastin. Boost the buoyancy of your pout with a moisturizing lipstick, topped with clear, shiny (not shimmery) gloss. Lose the liner, which only emphasizes skinny lips, making them look smaller, not bigger.
Old Habit: Conceal all sins.
Antiaging Secret: Less is more.
Foundation is fabulous for many things: concealing blemishes, evening out skin tone and serving as a canvas for blush, eye shadow, etc. That said, a thick layer instantly equals too much makeup and a look that’s far from youthful. To avoid this, apply your foundation with a flat makeup brush so the right amount of product glides on easily and delicately, without makeup overload. Krinsky recommends using a shade of foundation that matches the palm of your hand for the most natural application.
Robin Immerman Gruen is the former beauty director of Shape magazine and was previously on staff at Seventeen and Parents. Currently, she writes for several publications and websites, including American Way, Chicago Social, TotalBeauty.com, BeautyRiot.com, BeautyBlitz.com and GlossedAndFound.com.
- How to Wear Prints This Fall
- Dry Shampoo Techniques
- Top 3 Radiance-Boosting Beauty Tricks
- New and Improved: The Jegging
- Integrate 'Mad Men' Fashion Style Into Your Wardrobe
- Dress Away the Pounds
- Beauty Habits That Add on Years
- Treats for Skin
- How to Tame Your Curly Textured Hair
- The Perfect Face for Special Events
- Get Glowing All Over Beauty Treatments
- Change Your Hair Color Change Your Makeup
- The Costume Hater's Guide to Halloween
- Decoding Cosmetics Labels: A Little Sleuthing Can Tell You a Lot
- Five Must-have Fall Accessories
- Top 3 Fall and Winter Hair Trends
- Fashion Rules to Break
- How to Stretch Your Summer Wardrobe Into Fall
- Backstage Beauty from Runway to Real Way
- Style Extras to Make You Look Like a Rock Star
- Your Man's Grooming
- Flaunting Your Freckles
- The 411 on Facials
- Foods for Beautiful Skin
- How to Cover Grays
- 6 Tricks for Shiny Hair
- 5 Steps to Fabulous Fall Hair
- Keep Your Faux Tan Going
- Vampire Makeup
- The Right Style of Bangs for Your Face
- Deep Side Parts
- Year-round Sunscreen Secrets
- Get That Celebrity Look
- The Perfect Jeans Wardrobe
- The Best Lighting for Makeup Application
- Post-Summer Skin and Hair Rehab
- Give Your Man a Style Makeover
- Quick Tips for Beautiful Hair
- Hassle-free Haircuts for Busy Moms
- Trend Alert: Matte Hair Styles
- Brazilian Blowout
- Keep Your Favorite Clothes Looking Like New
- 1980s Style: Take 2
- Get That Look
- What to Pack for a Weekend Getaway
- Beauty Below the Chin
- Anti-Frizz Products for Medium - Thick Hair
- The Right Haircut for Your Personality
- Be a Beautiful Brunette
- Secrets to Getting Gorgeous Hair
- Personalize This Summer's Trends
- Be Product-ive With Your Hair
- Mature Makeup Makeovers
- Custom-blended Perfume Scents
- Summer Style Rules for Work
- Hot Summer Trends at Cool Prices
- Stop Oily Skin This Summer
- The Boom in Full-figure Bras
- Extreme Hair Makeover: Are You Ready for It?
- Wake up Sleepy Eyes
- Fashion Week Nail Trends
- Protect Your Hair on Vacation
- Simple Ways to Go Green in Your Beauty Routine
- Spa Treatments From Your Kitchen
- Love Your Body in a Bathing Suit
- Six Tricks for Shiny Beautiful Hair
- The Beauty Rules of Order
- Closet Organization Made Easy
- Dress Better Than Your Boyfriend
- Solutions for Oily Hair
- Summer Hair Protection
- How to Build a Year-round Wardrobe
- From the It Bag to the Do-it-your-way Bag
- How to Dye Your Hair at Home
- The Most Gorgeous Hair in Sports
- Pluck Your Eyebrows Like a Pro
- Fashion Runway-Style Hair
- From Neglected to Natural Nails
- Look Fashionable on Any Budget
- Weatherproof Beauty
- Buh-Bye, Bed Head!
- Fight Frizz Before It Starts
- Be Your Best in a Dress
- The DIY Blow dry
- Gorgeous Hair: Getting Most from Conditioners
- Jewelry Trend: Big Statement on a Small Budget
- Day-to-night Chic in a Flash
- How to Be a Red Carpet Beauty
- Beauty SOS
- Party Makeup in 3 Minutes or Less
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.