It's Never Been Easier to Be Green
With just a little eco-savvy, creating a greener home can be a breeze for busy moms. Here, Terra Wellington, author of "The Mom's Guide to Growing Your Family Green", shares seven simple solutions for planet-friendly living.
In the daytime, leave the lights off
Let the sunshine brighten up your home. Because they bounce light around the room, hanging mirrors
can help liven up darker spaces without lightbulbs, notes Wellington. And for nighttime lighting, rely on compact fluorescent bulbs, or CFLs, which are known to use about 75 percent less energy than conventional lightbulbs and last up to 10 times longer.
Skip disposable batteries
Choose the rechargeable variety to power up toys, remote controls, flashlights and other electronics.
Curb your energy consumption
By plugging TVs, DVD players, desktop computers and stereos into a power strip, then leaving the strip switched off when the electronics aren’t in use.
When you’re done juicing up
Your digital camera or laptop, unplug the charger to keep it from leeching electricity.
Select the cold-water cycle
As often as possible: Water heating accounts for about 90 percent of energy used while washing clothes. To make your laundry even greener, Wellington recommends line-drying your clothes when weather permits.
Load up your dishwasher
Instead of scrubbing pots, pans and plates by hand. You’ll not only save time and protect your fingers from pruning, you’ll also conserve a considerable amount of water. For more savings, shut the dishwasher off after its last rinse and open the door to let your dishes air-dry.
In the winter,
Keep your thermostat at 68 degrees while you’re at home and lower the temperature when you leave the house or hit the sack. To stay cozy, seal off any drafts in your windows and flip the switch on your ceiling fan to drive warm air down and heat up the room.
Elizabeth Barker is a Los Angeles-based freelance writer and executive editor of fashion blog NoGoodForMe.com. Her work has appeared in Body + Soul, Natural Health, Vegetarian Times, Variety and Kiwi.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Family Dinners: Eat, Talk, Love
- Foods to Stock for Winter
- Holiday Gift Guide for 2010
- It's Never Been Easier to Be Green
- Holiday Food That Makes You Sick
- 7 Secrets to Trim Thanksgiving Costs
- Thanksgiving Fun for the Family
- How to Organize and Store Vital Family Documents
- Turn Your Old Clothes Into Something New
- Conservation With Kids
- Quick and Crafty Fall Outdoor Activities
- Go Green and Save Money
- Yoga for Families
- Trade Screen Time for Together Time
- Family Dinners Help Fight Obesity
- Autumn-only Activities for Fall Fun
- Parents Guide to Playing Pretend
- Planet-friendly Parties
- The Right Job at the Right Time
- Reeling in the Parents
- Take a Magical History Tour
- Go Camping and Bring the Kids
- On-the-road Rx: Family Vacation Safety Tips
- Why Take Responsibility When You Can Sue?
- Why Non-Parents Are Happier Than Parents
- Be a Green Teen
- Enjoy Breakfast as a Family
- Planning Family Summer Vacations on a Budget
- Sharing a Room With a Sibling
- Have a Safe Trip
- Summer Activities for Kids
- Have a Healthy Vacation
- 6 Ways to Keep Family From Derailing Your Career
- Dressing Your Children on a Budget
- Top 5 Ways to Never Waste Food Again
- Stretch Your Family Meals
- Get Your Kitchen Cleaner Quicker
- Taking the Kids to a Broadway Musical
- Sunscreen Facts You Need to Know
- Internet Safety Tips for Teens
- Hosting a Successful Yard Sale
- Family Sunday Supper or Any Other Time
- Small Changes to Get out of Debt and Save Money
- Marriage Hopes on a Tightrope
- To Market The Farmers Market
- Keep Your House Spring-clean
- Creative Ways to Combine Work & Family
- Giving Mom Best Mother's Day Present She's Ever Had
- Show Mom You Love Her!
- Water Explorers
- Make Cleaning Fun and Get the Kids to Help Too
- Home Cleanup Shortcuts
- The Great Neighborhood Cook-off
- Family Room Clutter Busters
- 7 Steps to a Toxin-free Home
- Secrets to Money-saving Meals
- Growing a Family Garden
- How to Rush-proof Your Morning Routine
- Circus Games Backyard Big Top
- Ready, Set, Scavenge!
- How to Create a Crafty Home
- Brush With the Stars: Family Night out That's Free!
- Stress-free Birthday Bashes
- How to Raise Caring Kids
- Teenagers Testing My Patience
- Moms: Stop Kids Fears Before They Start
- Games for Building Better Family Bonds
- It's Never Been Easier to Be Green
- Battling Over Bedtimes? Not Anymore
- De-stress Your Mornings
- Giving Kids a Creative Edge
- New Twists on Family Game Night
- 4 Ways to Make Dinnertime Work
- Sibling Warfare? Stay Neutral
- Raise a Smart Spender
- Money for Something?
- Sick-day Strategies for Keeping Kids Entertained
- Sync With Your Spouse on Discipline Style
- What Kind of Parent Are You?
Copyright © 2012 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.