7 Inventive Ways to Redeck Your Halls
Deck Your Halls
Year after year, most of us tend to decorate for the holidays the same old way -- but we don’t have to.
While the elements may remain the same, you can still use them to adorn your house in new ways.
Here, Matthew Mead, creator of HolidayWithMatthewMead.com , and Jill Kirchner Simpson, home decor expert and co-author of The Language of Interior Design, offer a few new ideas for decking your halls this year.
Put Ornaments on a Pedestal
It’s hard to admire a vintage glass ornament when it’s at the top of the tree. Place particularly special or ornate ornaments atop candlesticks, attaching them with candle adhesive if necessary. Place on your mantel or holiday table.
Brighten Your Gift Boxes
Instead of draping twinkling lights around your Christmas tree, wrap them around a stack of two or three gift-wrapped boxes and plug them in. Opt for small LED lights, which emit less heat than other types.
Just because your tree stays in place doesn’t mean your ornaments have to do the same. Kirchner Simpson recommends hanging them on unexpected objects such as doorknobs, kitchen cabinet handles, sconces, curtain rods or a wrought iron headboard. You can also scatter ornaments or decorations on bookshelves. If you’ve accumulated numerous Christmas stockings over the years, hang your extras from the banister, the back of the bathroom door or another surprise spot.
Make Poinsettias Pop
Use your single-color round ornaments to give potted poinsettias an extra sparkle. Cover the dirt at the base with gold and red ones -- or whatever color strikes your fancy.
Go for Glitter
Using a glitter pen, write the name of each guest at your holiday table on a glass ball and hang from the back of the dining chairs with ribbon. “It’s a way to make the table more engaging,” says Mead. An ornament can do double duty as a place card as well, says Kirchner Simpson. Write each guest’s name with a metallic silver pen and place the ornament on a napkin in the center of the dinner plate.
Let Your Centerpiece Shine
Why overthink it? Fill a long platter with a variety of ornaments and encircle it with candles. Light from the candles will reflect off the spheres and make an eye-catching centerpiece.
Refresh Your Wreath
If you want to highlight your family’s most beloved ornaments, wire them carefully to the fresh wreath you hang on your fireplace. After the holiday, detach and save them to deck your halls in a new festive way next year.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Give a Better Gift: Minimizing Holiday Waste
- Turn Hectic Holiday Planning Into Family Fun
- 10 Easy Tips to Save Money This Christmas
- Gift Giving Made Healthy
- Cookbook Gifts for the Holidays: A Few of My Favorites
- 7 Inventive Ways to Redeck Your Halls
- 6 No-brainer Time-savers
- Family Dinners: Eat, Talk, Love
- Foods to Stock for Winter
- Holiday Gift Guide for 2010
- It's Never Been Easier to Be Green
- Holiday Food That Makes You Sick
- 7 Secrets to Trim Thanksgiving Costs
- Thanksgiving Fun for the Family
- How to Organize and Store Vital Family Documents
- Turn Your Old Clothes Into Something New
- Conservation With Kids
- Quick and Crafty Fall Outdoor Activities
- Go Green and Save Money
- Yoga for Families
- Trade Screen Time for Together Time
- Family Dinners Help Fight Obesity
- Autumn-only Activities for Fall Fun
- Parents Guide to Playing Pretend
- Planet-friendly Parties
- The Right Job at the Right Time
- Reeling in the Parents
- Take a Magical History Tour
- Go Camping and Bring the Kids
- On-the-road Rx: Family Vacation Safety Tips
- Why Take Responsibility When You Can Sue?
- Why Non-Parents Are Happier Than Parents
- Be a Green Teen
- Enjoy Breakfast as a Family
- Planning Family Summer Vacations on a Budget
- Sharing a Room With a Sibling
- Have a Safe Trip
- Summer Activities for Kids
- Have a Healthy Vacation
- 6 Ways to Keep Family From Derailing Your Career
- Dressing Your Children on a Budget
- Top 5 Ways to Never Waste Food Again
- Stretch Your Family Meals
- Get Your Kitchen Cleaner Quicker
- Taking the Kids to a Broadway Musical
- Sunscreen Facts You Need to Know
- Internet Safety Tips for Teens
- Hosting a Successful Yard Sale
- Family Sunday Supper or Any Other Time
- Small Changes to Get out of Debt and Save Money
- Marriage Hopes on a Tightrope
- To Market The Farmers Market
- Keep Your House Spring-clean
- Creative Ways to Combine Work & Family
- Giving Mom Best Mother's Day Present She's Ever Had
- Show Mom You Love Her!
- Water Explorers
- Make Cleaning Fun and Get the Kids to Help Too
- Home Cleanup Shortcuts
- The Great Neighborhood Cook-off
- Family Room Clutter Busters
- 7 Steps to a Toxin-free Home
- Secrets to Money-saving Meals
- Growing a Family Garden
- How to Rush-proof Your Morning Routine
- Circus Games Backyard Big Top
- Ready, Set, Scavenge!
- How to Create a Crafty Home
- Brush With the Stars: Family Night out That's Free!
- Stress-free Birthday Bashes
- How to Raise Caring Kids
- Teenagers Testing My Patience
- Moms: Stop Kids Fears Before They Start
- Games for Building Better Family Bonds
- 7 Inventive Ways to Redeck Your Halls
- Battling Over Bedtimes? Not Anymore
- De-stress Your Mornings
- Giving Kids a Creative Edge
- New Twists on Family Game Night
- 4 Ways to Make Dinnertime Work
- Sibling Warfare? Stay Neutral
- Raise a Smart Spender
- Money for Something?
- Sick-day Strategies for Keeping Kids Entertained
- Sync With Your Spouse on Discipline Style
- What Kind of Parent Are You?
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.