6 Things You Must Do Today to Stay Sane in an Insane World
Do you ever feel like curling up in a ball and trying to forget the problems around you? With everything going on in the world today -- sky high unemployment, the housing market at its lowest point, prolonged wars in the
What typically happens when you experience a crisis in one part of your life, such as a major health problem, getting laid off or having trouble paying your bills? Everything else in your life grinds to a halt. You stay at work a little longer. You exercise a little less. You dismiss your healthful diet for something faster. You neglect to write in your gratitude journal. You start to focus more on the past and less on the future. Basically, you stop doing all of the things that you know you should do to feel and live better.
This is one of those times when it would be easy -- even understandable -- to forget about your dreams, about doing the small things that lead to a better life, and instead become frozen in the negativity of the moment. But there's an important lesson here. Yes, do what you need to do to survive, but don't neglect doing all of the positive things that you know are right and that will benefit you.
Here are six things that you can -- no, scratch that -- that you must do today (and every day!). They may not jump-start the economy, but they can certainly jump-start your well-being during these difficult times:
1. Replace TV/radio with something (anything!) else.
The media is in the business of selling fear, and right now, business is very good. Nothing good comes from experiencing a panic attack after watching the news or listening to talk radio. Being informed is good. Being tormented is not. Instead, create an upbeat playlist; listen to books on tape; write a book; or play Angry Birds if you must.
2. Focus on what is positive.
Try to balance the onslaught of negativity with some positivity. Take just five minutes in the morning and jot down a few things that you are grateful for in your life. It doesn't matter if these are big or small, as long as they are meaningful to you.
3. Confront your fears.
What's worse than knowing? Not knowing. If you have a general sense of fear or nervousness, dig deeper to look at what is driving your fear. What's the worst thing that could happen? Of course it's scary to look, but identifying the worst-case situation often leads to some relief once you realize you can survive it.
4. Spend more time with family/friends.
When things get bad, a natural reaction for some (myself included) is to isolate from others. This is actually a horrible strategy. A much better alternative is to be around others. Tap into your social network. Get out there and start talking and sharing. Instead of meeting for drinks, go outside and enjoy the summer by taking a walk, working out together or having a BBQ.
5. Take care of your health.
Stress can wreak havoc on your body, so make sure you do what you can to take care of yourself. This means watching what you eat, getting enough sleep each night and exercising every day. You've heard this 1,000 times, but are you doing it?
6. Have some fun!
Add as much fun and frivolity in your day as you can -- schedule it if you have to. The problems you may be facing are real and serious, but that doesn't mean that you have to be down all the time. If worrying and agonizing about a problem made it go away any faster, I think
It's our nature to survive -- to do whatever it takes to make it through one more day. And for most Americans right now, surviving has become their full-time job. It is times like these when passivity is our enemy. Reading about what you should do and actually doing it are two very different things. You've done the reading part; now it's time to do it. Choose to do any one of these things right now. It's a much better option than curling up into a ball.
For more career and personal development advice, visit iHaveNet.com Careers
Available at Amazom.com: Great on the Job
- Do One Simple Thing to Immediately Increase Your Power
- Take Charge of Your Professional Development
- 6 Ways the World of Work is Changing
- Mastering the New Freelance Economy
- How to Deal with a Gap on Your Resume
- 6 Things You Must Do Today to Stay Sane in an Insane World
- How to Make a Career Back-Up Plan
- Navigate the Booming Computer Science Market
- How Higher Education Affects Lifetime Salary
- Unfinished College Degree Means Less Money
- Start Living Your Miracle Life
- Workplace Benefits That Are Rapidly Disappearing
- 5 Common Resume Misconceptions
- How Social Media Can Help 50-Plus Workers Find Jobs
- How to Run a Meeting that Won't Tick Off Employees
- Job Opportunity for Entrepreneurial New Grads
- LinkedIn Offers New Options for Students
- 12 Ways to Be More Creative at Work
- Can You Answer the Miracle Question?
- Getting Ahead in Hard Times
- Why New Graduates Should Consider Entrepreneurship
- 6 Tips for the Hopeful Entrepreneur
- Think Startups are Fueling the Recovery? Not So Much
- How the Crippled Housing Market Affects Job Seekers
- 5 Business Lessons You Can Learn From Mark Zuckerberg
- How to Use Twitter to Change Careers
- Tips for College Grads Starting First Jobs
- 5 Ways Your Negative Friends Can Drag You Down
- Job Market Sucks? Not for Techies
- How to Land a Job in Tech Even if You Don't Write Code
- 5 Creative Ways to Showcase Your Resume Online
- Can Profanity Help Your Career?
- Business Schools Hope to Shatter Sturdy Glass Ceiling
- Failure Is Now Fashionable
- How to Mesh In-Person and Online Networking
- How Facebook and Your Free Time Can Get You Fired
- Why You Should Ditch the Quest for the Perfect Career
- Best Travel Companies to Work For
- The Oprah Effect: Ultimate Star-Maker Moves On As Should We
- Companies with the Most Older Workers
- 9 Companies Hiring Now
- Find New Law Jobs in a Slow Economy
- Make a Difference (And a Fortune!) Sharing Your Advice
- Business Management the Dog Way
- Healthcare Jobs on the Rise
- Can I Afford to Take a Sabbatical?
- How to Position Yourself to Change Careers
- How to Create Superstar Employees: Beyond Work-Life Balance
- The 10 Worst Cities for Job Seekers
- Hate Your Job? 3 Ways to Find a Better Job
- Alternative Career Options for Burned-Out Lawyers
- Where the Engineering Jobs Are
- Top 25 Companies for Work-Life Balance
- Tips for Communicating Well at Work
- Where the M.B.A. Jobs Are
- Not Too Late to Find a Summer Job or Internship
- When Surviving is Not Enough
- Navigating the Digital Job Market When You're Not Tech Savvy
- What Your Name Says About You in the Workplace
- Yoga Teaching Increasingly Popular as Second Career
- 9 Tips to Stop Caring What Others Think
- When Using Job Boards It Pays to Go Niche
- New Site Helps You Use Facebook for Your Job Search
- Tips to Create More Energy and Confidence
- When Your Dream Company is Hiring on Twitter
- Grads May Find More Jobs at Entrepreneurial Firms
- 3 Steps to Create a More Powerful Self-Image
- Switching Jobs in Bad Times: Should You Make the Leap?
- Extra Income: Bring in the Cash
- Treat Your Career Like a SmartPhone
- And on the Side, I'm an Entrepreneur
- Trouble at the Office
- How to Invest Your Time and Energy for Maximum Success
- Is It Time to Go Back to School?
- A Balanced Life is for Losers
- Thinking of Starting a Business? Look Before You Leap
- The Most Effective Ways to Look for a Job
- The Death of the One-Page Resume?
- Brighter Job Outlook for Class of 2011
- Quitting Fear Inc
- How Morning Exercise Can Boost Your Career
- Women's Day: Life (and Work) Lessons Every Woman Should Learn
- Stop Waiting for Permission
- Proactive Job-Search Strategy: Pitch Your Dream Company
- Cover Letters That Work
- Change Your Life and Create a Personal Revolution
- Taking a New Job Without Burning Bridges at the Old Job
- The Right Job at the Right Time
- The Quickest Way to Radically Improve Your Life: Use Radical Change
- 8 Workplace Perks for New Parents
- Reach Your Goals More Quickly: Use Incremental Change
- What the .Jobs Domain Means for Job Seekers
- Finding the Right Skill Set
- Project Management Tips From the Pros
- 10 Best Cities to Get a Job
- How to Be a Smart Job-Hopper
- How Job Seekers Can Build Their Online Brand
- Take Your Resume to the Next Level: Video
- 5 Smart Tactics for LinkedIn Self-Promotion
- Rise in Social Media Jobs Means Opportunity for Job Seeker
- Want More Clout? Stand Up Straight
- Hang Onto People Who'll Help You Advance
- Best Jobs 2011: Emergency Management Specialist
- 10 Jobs That Offer a Big Bang for Your Buck
- Best Career Advice: 2011
- Career Advice Hits of 2010
- Careful Actions Can Lead to Good Luck
- The Top 50 Companies to Work For
- Never Let Excuses Drag You Down Again
- Why Power Naps at Work Are Catching On
- 6 Steps to Polish Up Your Resume
- 6 Tips for GenY on the Job Hunt
- Be Wary About Chancing a Workplace Romance
Careers - 6 Things You Must Do Today to Stay Sane in an Insane World
Copyright © 2011 CBS INTERACTIVE INC. DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES INC.