Thunder Sign Veteran Playmaker Derek Fisher
Oklahoma City, OK
The Oklahoma City Thunder signed playmaker Derek Fisher for the remainder of the season, acquiring a veteran presence that could stabilize a young team led by Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.
Last season, Fisher played 20 regular-season games and 20 playoff outings for the Thunder after signing as a free agent in March.
He averaged 4.9 points and 1.4 assists during the regular season and stepped up his game in during the playoffs, putting up 6.3 points per outing to help the Thunder reach the NBA Finals.
Fisher averaged 8.6 points and 3.6 assists in nine games with Dallas earlier this season before asking for his release in December to return to his family in Los Angeles.
"We are excited to welcome Derek back to the Thunder organization," said general manager Sam Presti. "He contributed to our team in various ways last season, and we are looking forward to him joining us again."
Fisher, who won five titles with the Lakers, was traded by Los Angeles to Houston at the deadline last year but never played for the Rockets.
The Rockets then bought out Fisher's contract, allowing him to join the Thunder for their stretch run.
Fisher will fill the Thunder's third guard spot, which was vacated after sending Eric Maynor to Portland at last week's trade deadline.
Fisher has career averages of 8.6 points and 3.1 assists in 17 NBA seasons with the Lakers, Warriors, Jazz, Thunder and Mavericks.
- Knicks' Amare Stoudemire to Undergo Knee Surgery; Out Six Weeks
- 55-foot Buzzer Beater Makes Prep Player Instant Celebrity
- Jason Kidd Adjusting to Role off Knicks bench
- Spurs May Lose Top Spot with Tony Parker Injury
- Sixers center Andrew Bynum suffers another setback in knee rehab
- Lakers Center Dwight Howard Eyes 2016 Olympics
- LeBron to Stop Warm-up Dunks, Won't Join Contest
- Ex-NBA star Dennis Rodman finds new friend in North Korean leader
- Heat's Ray Allen Sees Acting Career on Horizon
- Julian Newman, Fifth Grade Basketball Phenom
- Mike Krzyzewski to Step Down as US Hoops Team Mentor
- Thunder Sign Veteran Playmaker Derek Fisher
- NBA Trade Deadline Surprises
- Knicks Sign Kenyon Martin to 10-day Contract
- Magic Trade Redick Plus Two Teammates to Bucks for Trio of Players
- Celtics Trade Barbosa and Collins for Wizards Jordan Crawford
- Lakers Hope Dwight Howard is Center of Team's Future
- Shaq Unplugged: Dwight's Struggles, Buss
- Magic Johnson: Cavs Guard Kyrie Irving Becoming a Superstar
- Kings Give Up on Thomas Robinson, Deal Rookie to Rockets
- A Message to Michael Jordan on his 50th
- Doubting Thomas: Isiah Favors LeBron Over MJ as Athlete
- Paul and Durant Carry West to Close Win Over East
- Raptors Terrence Ross Rules NBA Slam Dunk Contest
- NBA Players Union Fires Billy Hunter as Executive Director
- Turkoglu Suspended 20 Games for Steroid Use
- Kobe Bryant Opposes Gay Slur on Twitter
- 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue
Copyright © 2013 AHN. All rights reserved