Los Angeles, CA
The Boston Celtics will not release coach Doc Rivers unless they get both guard Eric Bledsoe and center DeAndre Jordan from the Los Angeles Clippers in a trade for Kevin Garnett.
A future first-round pick is also being demanded by the Celtics as compensation for Rivers, who has final three years and $21 million left on his contract. The contract of either Jason Terry or Courtney Lee is also being passed on.
But the Clippers intend to package Bledsoe with forward Blake Griffin to the Los Angeles Lakers for center Dwight Howard, in order to persuade Chris Paul to stay.
Paul and Howard wish to join forces on the same team via free agency.
Bledsoe is also being dangled to the Orlando Magic for Arron Afflalo and the Indiana Pacers for Danny Granger.
The Clippers also intend to pursue Paul Pierce to complete the acquisition of the "Boston trio."
If neither side budges soon, the Clippers are expected to change course Tuesday or Wednesday to vie for Lionel Hollins or Brian Shaw as their new coach.
The pursuit of the Boston trio and targets such as Afflalo and Granger are all part of the Clippers' intent to ensure that Paul re-signs and becomes an unquestioned championship contender.
Rivers reportedly feels it "may be time for a change," after nine seasons coaching the Celtics. In case he stays, he is hopeful the Celtics retains its core instead of launching a rebuilding project around point guard Rajon Rondo.
The Celtics have to decide by the end of June whether to assume the full $15.3 million Pierce is scheduled to make in 2013-14 or buy him out for $5 million.
Another option for Boston is trying to trade Pierce in conjunction with this month's draft. But the Celtics want Pierce go to a team of his choice if they decide to go young.
- Rockets Land Free-Agent Center Dwight Howard
- Warriors Obtain Andre Iguodala after Losing out on Dwight Howard
- Spurs Sign Marco Belinelli, Set to Lose Gary Neal to Free Agency
- Kings Trade Tyreke Evans to Pelicans in Three-Team Deal
- Standout Sixth-man J.R. Smith to Stay with Knicks
- Al Jefferson Agrees to Three-Year deal with Bobcats
- Butler's Brad Stevens Debuts in NBA as Celtics Head Coach
- Eric Bledsoe goes to Suns, J.J. Redick to Clippers in 3-team trade
- Raptors Forward Andrea Bargnani Headed to Knicks
- Raptors Express Interest in Clippers guard Eric Bledsoe
- Bernie Bickerstaff joins Cavs as assistant coach
- Heat's Ray Allen exercises $3.2-M player option
- Nets Acquire Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce from Celtics in Blockbuster
- Cavs Take Canadian Anthony Bennett with Top NBA 2013 Draft Pick
- NBA Champion Heat to bring back Mario Chalmers, Mike Miller
- Doc Rivers Gets Fresh Start as Clippers Coach
- Jazz Owner Shares Notes on Jerry Sloan - Deron Wlliams Dispute
- Nuggets Give Brian Shaw his First NBA Head Coaching Gig
- Grizzlies Promote Assistant Dave Joerger as Head Coach
- Heat celebrate second straight NBA title with parade
- Clippers Finally Lure coach Doc Rivers from Celtics
- Heat 2-1 Favorites to Three-Peat Next Season
- Kobe Bryant persuading Dwight Howard to stay with Lakers
- LeBron James leads Heat to second straight NBA title
- LeBron James, Ray Allen star as Heat force Game 7
- Kobe Bryant Hopes to Surpass Michael Jordan's Six NBA Championships
- Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili shine as Spurs take Game 5
- Nuggets Name Tim Connelly New General Manager
- Trade Doctoring: Clips Keep Eric Bledsoe Out of Deal with Celtics
- Spurs Veteran Manu Ginobili Ponders Retirement
- LeBron James, Dwyane Wade Star as Heat Win Game 4
- Nets Hire Jason Kidd over Brian Shaw as Coach
- Danny Green, Gary Neal Star as Spurs take Game 3
- Pistons Hire Maurice Cheeks as Head Coach
- Kobe Bryant Memorabilia Issue Ironed Out
- Heat Pull Away in Second Half, Rout Spurs in Game 2
- Dennis Rodman Paints Unflattering Portrait of LeBron
- Drop the Act: NBA to Increase Flopping Fines
- Tony Parker Powers Spurs Past Heat in Game 1
- Nuggets Part Ways with Coach George Karl
- Kobe will Make Effort to Keep Dwight Howard with Lakers
- Jason Kidd Retires after 19 NBA seasons
- Grizzlies Allow Coach Lionel Hollins to Talk to Other Teams
- Grant Hill Retires after 19 NBA Seasons
- Pacers Center Roy Hibbert Faces Hefty Fine for Homosexual Slur
- GM Masai Ujiri Chooses Raptors over Nuggets
- Larry Drew Shifts Coaching Job from Hawks to Bucks
- Chris Paul Mad at Clippers for Blaming Him for Coach's Firing
- Ex-Warriors Assistant Mike Malone to Coach Kings
- ESPN's Jalen Rose Ranks Tony Parker Third-Best Player in NBA
- NBA Title Worth Millions for Winning Team
- Tony Parker Carries Spurs Past Grizzlies into 2013 NBA Finals
- Bobcats Hire Steve Clifford as Head Coach
- Hawks Hire Spurs Assistant Mike Budenholzer as Head Coach
- Dirk Nowitzki Willing to Take Pay Cut to Give Mavs Salary-Cap Room