Ray Allen has decided to exercise his $3.2 million player option giving the Miami Heat a luxury tax bill of about $30 million for next season.
The option gives players the right to extend their contract for one more season at a salary no less than the prior year's amount.
Allen's decision impacts Mike Miller's status. If the Heat uses the amnesty provision to release Miller, they can save $14 million in tax payments.
Team president Pat Riley has said he would like to keep Miller, but the decision is up to owner Micky Arison.
Heat veterans James Jones and Rashard Lewis also picked up player options for next season.
Allen averaged 10.6 points and shooting 55 percent on 3-pointers in the NBA Finals. His buzzer-beater in Game 6 that forced overtime is one of the biggest clutch shots in Finals history.
He proved his durability during the regular season, playing in 79 games, and averaged 10.9 points while shooting 42 percent from 3-point range
- Rockets Land Free-Agent Center Dwight Howard
- Warriors Obtain Andre Iguodala after Losing out on Dwight Howard
- Spurs Sign Marco Belinelli, Set to Lose Gary Neal to Free Agency
- Kings Trade Tyreke Evans to Pelicans in Three-Team Deal
- Standout Sixth-man J.R. Smith to Stay with Knicks
- Al Jefferson Agrees to Three-Year deal with Bobcats
- Butler's Brad Stevens Debuts in NBA as Celtics Head Coach
- Eric Bledsoe goes to Suns, J.J. Redick to Clippers in 3-team trade
- Raptors Forward Andrea Bargnani Headed to Knicks
- Raptors Express Interest in Clippers guard Eric Bledsoe
- Bernie Bickerstaff joins Cavs as assistant coach
- Heat's Ray Allen exercises $3.2-M player option
- Nets Acquire Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce from Celtics in Blockbuster
- Cavs Take Canadian Anthony Bennett with Top NBA 2013 Draft Pick
- NBA Champion Heat to bring back Mario Chalmers, Mike Miller
- Doc Rivers Gets Fresh Start as Clippers Coach
- Jazz Owner Shares Notes on Jerry Sloan - Deron Wlliams Dispute
- Nuggets Give Brian Shaw his First NBA Head Coaching Gig
- Grizzlies Promote Assistant Dave Joerger as Head Coach
- Heat celebrate second straight NBA title with parade
- Clippers Finally Lure coach Doc Rivers from Celtics
- Heat 2-1 Favorites to Three-Peat Next Season
- Kobe Bryant persuading Dwight Howard to stay with Lakers
- LeBron James leads Heat to second straight NBA title
- LeBron James, Ray Allen star as Heat force Game 7
- Kobe Bryant Hopes to Surpass Michael Jordan's Six NBA Championships
- Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili shine as Spurs take Game 5
- Nuggets Name Tim Connelly New General Manager
- Trade Doctoring: Clips Keep Eric Bledsoe Out of Deal with Celtics
- Spurs Veteran Manu Ginobili Ponders Retirement
- Nets Hire Jason Kidd over Brian Shaw as Coach
- Danny Green, Gary Neal Star as Spurs take Game 3
- Pistons Hire Maurice Cheeks as Head Coach
- Kobe Bryant Memorabilia Issue Ironed Out
- Dennis Rodman Paints Unflattering Portrait of LeBron
- Drop the Act: NBA to Increase Flopping Fines