New York, NY
The Brooklyn Nets have added Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to their trio of Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and Brook Lopez under rookie coach Jason Kidd.
It is deemed as one of the most formidable rosters in the NBA.
Boston Celtics sent Garnett, Pierce along with Jason Terry to the Nets in exchange for three first-round picks (2014, '16 and '18), Kris Humphries' expiring contract, Gerald Wallace, Kris Joseph, MarShon Brooks and a sign-and-traded Keith Bogans.
Garnett has to waive the no-trade clause to seal the deal.
The Nets saw Pierce's inclusion as the surest way to persuade Garnett to waive his no-trade clause.
But because Pierce is making nearly $17 million this season and the Celtics had to use the $15.3 million team option, the trade only becomes officially consummated after the start of free agency and the lifting of the moratorium on July 10.
By agreeing to add Terry to the trade, the Nets alleviated the impact to the Celtics of having to absorb the remaining three years and $30 million on Wallace's contract.
After news of the proposed trade, Sportsbook.com dropped the Nets' odds to win the NBA title from 50-1 to 25-1.
In 2014, Boston gets either Brooklyn's pick or Atlanta's pick, whichever is worse. And in 2017, Boston has the right toswap picks with Brooklyn.
The Celtics now are a team in transition looking to accelerate the rebuilding process by chasing draft picks and creating cap space.
- Rockets Land Free-Agent Center Dwight Howard
- Warriors Obtain Andre Iguodala after Losing out on Dwight Howard
- Spurs Sign Marco Belinelli, Set to Lose Gary Neal to Free Agency
- Kings Trade Tyreke Evans to Pelicans in Three-Team Deal
- Standout Sixth-man J.R. Smith to Stay with Knicks
- Al Jefferson Agrees to Three-Year deal with Bobcats
- Butler's Brad Stevens Debuts in NBA as Celtics Head Coach
- Eric Bledsoe goes to Suns, J.J. Redick to Clippers in 3-team trade
- Raptors Forward Andrea Bargnani Headed to Knicks
- Raptors Express Interest in Clippers guard Eric Bledsoe
- Bernie Bickerstaff joins Cavs as assistant coach
- Heat's Ray Allen exercises $3.2-M player option
- Nets Acquire Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce from Celtics in Blockbuster
- Cavs Take Canadian Anthony Bennett with Top NBA 2013 Draft Pick
- NBA Champion Heat to bring back Mario Chalmers, Mike Miller
- Doc Rivers Gets Fresh Start as Clippers Coach
- Jazz Owner Shares Notes on Jerry Sloan - Deron Wlliams Dispute
- Nuggets Give Brian Shaw his First NBA Head Coaching Gig
- Grizzlies Promote Assistant Dave Joerger as Head Coach
- Heat celebrate second straight NBA title with parade
- Clippers Finally Lure coach Doc Rivers from Celtics
- Heat 2-1 Favorites to Three-Peat Next Season
- Kobe Bryant persuading Dwight Howard to stay with Lakers
- LeBron James leads Heat to second straight NBA title
- LeBron James, Ray Allen star as Heat force Game 7
- Kobe Bryant Hopes to Surpass Michael Jordan's Six NBA Championships
- Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili shine as Spurs take Game 5
- Nuggets Name Tim Connelly New General Manager
- Trade Doctoring: Clips Keep Eric Bledsoe Out of Deal with Celtics
- Spurs Veteran Manu Ginobili Ponders Retirement
- Nets Hire Jason Kidd over Brian Shaw as Coach
- Danny Green, Gary Neal Star as Spurs take Game 3
- Pistons Hire Maurice Cheeks as Head Coach
- Kobe Bryant Memorabilia Issue Ironed Out
- Dennis Rodman Paints Unflattering Portrait of LeBron
- Drop the Act: NBA to Increase Flopping Fines