Kentucky's Nerlens Noel Joins 2013 NBA Draft
Potential overall number one pick Nerlens Noel will forego up his sophomore season to join this year's NBA draft.
The Kentucky freshman averaged 10.5 points, 9.5 rebounds, 4.4 blocks and 2.1 steals per game.
His 106 blocks in 24 games is number one in the nation and second in Kentucky single-season history, while his 50 steals ranked as the fifth most in a single season by a freshman.
On January 29, 2013, Noel set the UK single-game record with 12 blocks in a 87-74 team victory over No.16 Ole Miss. 5 of the blocks happened while Noel had 4 personal fouls, and two of them were slam dunk attempts.
He was named Southeastern Conference defensive player of the year and first-team All-SEC.
According to nbadraft.net reports, Noel is one of the best pure shot blockers to come along in a number of years.
"He's a more explosive leaper and has better on ball shot blocking ability than last year's UK freshman intimidator Anthony Davis. While Davis had a little better lateral speed and ability to get to shots as a weakside defender, Noel's ability to deny his man any daylight to the rim and be a rim protector makes him even more dominant, and a potential defensive enforcer for the NBA," says the nbadraft.net about Noel.
However, the Everett, Massachusetts native had his freshman campaign cut short by a torn ACL in mid-February.
Despite the injury, Noel is projected to be one of the first players taken and maybe the first overall.
"I especially appreciate the Big Blue Nation and all of the support, prayers and well-wishes I've received from them during my rehab and decision-making process," said Noel.
The NBA draft lottery is scheduled for Tuesday, May 21, and the 2013 NBA draft will take place Thursday, June 27.
The Charlotte Bobcats and the Orlando Magic have the best chances in the May 21 draft lottery of landing this year's top pick.
- Spurs Topple Warriors, Advance to NBA West Finals
- Carmelo Anthony Shines with 28 points as Knicks Stay Alive
- Dirk Nowitzki Willing to Take Pay Cut to Give Mavs Salary-Cap Room
- Staying in Sacramento: NBA Owners Reject Kings Move to Seattle
- Defense and Rebounding Lift Pacers to 3-1 Series Lead Over Knicks
- Heat Bump Off Bulls, Advance to East Finals
- NBA Fines Chicago Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau for Postgame Comments
- Warriors Outplay Spurs in Overtime, Knot Series at 2-2
- Hibbert, Pacers Show Best Form in Beating Knicks
- Marc Gasol, Mike Conley Star as Grizzlies Take 2-1 Lead
- Seattle Pursues Kings with Increased $625M Bid
- Bosh-fueled Heat Hold On to Take 2-1 Series Lead on Bulls
- Tony Parker shines as Spurs take 2-1 lead over Warriors
- Bulls Joakim Noah Tells Reporter Getting 'Finger' Not Fun
- Amar'e Stoudemire to Beef up Knicks Frontline vs Pacers in Game 3
- Kobe Bryant Fights Mom over Memorabilia
- Lakers Forward Pau Gasol to Undergo Regeneration for Knees
- Ray Allen Scores 21 as Heat Tie Series with Bulls
- George Karl Wins NBA Coach of the Year
- Mike Conley's Heroics Push Grizzlies Past Thunder
- Suns Hire Celtics' Ryan McDonough as General Manager
- Clippers Coach Vinny Del Negro on Shaky Ground after First-Round Exit
- Pacers Outmuscle Knicks to take Game 1
- Carlesimo Firing Nothing to Do with Nets Playoff Failure
- Joakim Noah Stars as Bulls Oust Nets in Game 7
- Kevin Durant Scores 27 as Thunder Oust Rockets in Six Games
- Zach Randolph Stars as Grizzlies Finish Off Clippers in Six
- LeBron James Earns Fourth MVP Trophy
- Phil Jackson to Advise Pistons During Coaching Search
- Warriors Survive Nuggets Late Rally to Advance
- James Harden Leads Rockets in Cutting Thunder Series Lead to 3-2
- Jeff Green Scores 18 as Celtics Close in on Knicks
- Blazers Damian Lillard Unanimously Selected Rookie of the Year
- Grizzlies Push Clippers to Brink of Elimination
- Andre Iguodala Stars as Nuggets down Warriors in Game 5
- Chandler Parsons Stars as Rockets Avoid Sweep by Thunder
- NBA Relocation Committee Rejects Kings Move to Seattle
- Andray Blatche Sizzles in 4th Quarter as Nets Prevail
- NBA Veteran Jason Collins Comes Out As Gay
- Spurs Coach on Sweep of Lakers: 'It wasn't a fair fight'
- Tony Parker scores 23 as Spurs Sweep Listless Lakers
- Heat Complete Four-Game Double Digit Sweep of Bucks
- Bulls Outlast Nets in Triple OT for 3-1 Series Lead
- Spurs Hand Lakers Worst-Ever Home Playoff Loss
- Raptors Eyeing Phil Jackson as Head of Basketball Operations
- Grizzlies Dominate Clippers in the Paint to Take Game 3
- Ray Allen Sizzles as Heat Scorch Bucks for 3-0 Lead
- Marc Gasol Named 2013 Defensive Player of the Year
- Cavs Like Mike: Brown Returns for Second Stint
- Bobcats Fire Mike Dunlap After 21-61 Season
- Knicks' J.R. Smith Wins NBA's Sixth Man Honor
- Chris Paul Jumper Carries Clippers to 2-0 Series Lead
- Heat President Pat Riley Says Its Doable to Keep Big 3 Intact
- Balanced Scoring Helps Thunder Defeat Rockets
- Dennis Rodman Projects Himself as FBI Informant, Global Peacemaker
- Duncan's Double-Double Helps Spurs top Lakers in Series Opener
- Paul George Triple-Double Lifts Pacers over Hawks
- Eric Bledsoe Lifts Clippers Past Grizzlies
- Carmelo Anthony Scores 36 as Knicks Defeat Celtics
- 2013 NBA Playoffs Preview: Clippers - Grizzlies Series
- 2013 NBA Playoffs Preview: Bulls - Nets Series
- 2013 NBA Playoffs Preview: Warriors - Nuggets Series
- 2013 NBA Playoffs Preview: Hawks - Pacers Series
- 2013 NBA Playoffs Preview: Rockets - Thunder Series
- 2013 NBA Playoffs Preview: Heat - Bucks Series
- 2013 NBA Playoffs Preview: Lakers - Spurs Series
- 2013 NBA Playoffs Preview: Celtics - Knicks Series
- Kings Ransom? Seattle Group Fears Stern is Siding with Sacramento
- Stoudemire Likely Out for Knicks Opening Playoff Round vs Celtics
- Pistons Fire Lawrence Frank after 29-win Season
- Mike D'Antoni to Remain Lakers Head Coach
- Cavs Fire Byron Scott Following Dismal 24-58 Season
- Phil Jackson Reportedly Wants NBA Front Office Post
- Michigan's Tim Hardaway Jr Opts for NBA Draft
- Quentin Richardson Fortifies Knicks for Playoffs
- Oklahoma State's Marcus Smart Puts NBA on Hold
- Spurs Sign Tracy McGrady
- Kentucky's Nerlens Noel Joins 2013 NBA Draft
- Georgetown Forward Otto Porter to Enter NBA Draft
- Kobe Bryant Out 6-9 Months with Heel Injury
- Celtics' Ainge Says Its 'Too Expensive' to Beat Up Heat's Riley
- Bulls Halt Heat Winning Streak at 27
Copyright © 2013 AHN. All rights reserved