Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant wants to win at least two more NBA championships to bring his total to seven or more.
That surpasses the six NBA crowns won by Chicago Bulls great Michael Jordan, to whom he has been frequently compared with.
Bryant and Derek Fisher lead all active players with five NBA titles, with the Spurs' Tim Duncan in the position to tie them if the Spurs beat the Heat in this year's Finals.
NBA fans were left with the impression that Bryant would retire after next season when he selected "The Last Chapter" as the slogan that best represents his comeback from a ruptured Achilles tendon.
It made comparisons with Phil Jackson's "The Last Stand" quote, when the coaching great decided to return for his final season with the Lakers in 2010-11.
On the contrary, Bryant wants to be back next season with a vengeance. But he has publicly maintained that he will play only while he's able to perform at an elite level. At 34 and still in the early stages of recovery from his Achilles tendon injury, Bryant wants to take his time to heal.
The Lakers are planning to open extension talks with Bryant, who is under contract for one more year, as soon as it was allowed to under NBA rules. The team shares Bryant's desire to retire as a Laker.
While it would be difficult for the Lakers to bring Bryant back at his current salary of $30 million a year with the new salary-cap restrictions, it is determined to give Bryant the respect befitting his contributions to the franchise.
- Rockets Land Free-Agent Center Dwight Howard
- Warriors Obtain Andre Iguodala after Losing out on Dwight Howard
- Spurs Sign Marco Belinelli, Set to Lose Gary Neal to Free Agency
- Kings Trade Tyreke Evans to Pelicans in Three-Team Deal
- Standout Sixth-man J.R. Smith to Stay with Knicks
- Al Jefferson Agrees to Three-Year deal with Bobcats
- Butler's Brad Stevens Debuts in NBA as Celtics Head Coach
- Eric Bledsoe goes to Suns, J.J. Redick to Clippers in 3-team trade
- Raptors Forward Andrea Bargnani Headed to Knicks
- Raptors Express Interest in Clippers guard Eric Bledsoe
- Bernie Bickerstaff joins Cavs as assistant coach
- Heat's Ray Allen exercises $3.2-M player option
- Nets Acquire Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce from Celtics in Blockbuster
- Cavs Take Canadian Anthony Bennett with Top NBA 2013 Draft Pick
- NBA Champion Heat to bring back Mario Chalmers, Mike Miller
- Doc Rivers Gets Fresh Start as Clippers Coach
- Jazz Owner Shares Notes on Jerry Sloan - Deron Wlliams Dispute
- Nuggets Give Brian Shaw his First NBA Head Coaching Gig
- Grizzlies Promote Assistant Dave Joerger as Head Coach
- Heat celebrate second straight NBA title with parade
- Clippers Finally Lure coach Doc Rivers from Celtics
- Heat 2-1 Favorites to Three-Peat Next Season
- Kobe Bryant persuading Dwight Howard to stay with Lakers
- LeBron James leads Heat to second straight NBA title
- LeBron James, Ray Allen star as Heat force Game 7
- Kobe Bryant Hopes to Surpass Michael Jordan's Six NBA Championships
- Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili shine as Spurs take Game 5
- Nuggets Name Tim Connelly New General Manager
- Trade Doctoring: Clips Keep Eric Bledsoe Out of Deal with Celtics
- Spurs Veteran Manu Ginobili Ponders Retirement
- LeBron James, Dwyane Wade Star as Heat Win Game 4
- Nets Hire Jason Kidd over Brian Shaw as Coach
- Danny Green, Gary Neal Star as Spurs take Game 3
- Pistons Hire Maurice Cheeks as Head Coach
- Kobe Bryant Memorabilia Issue Ironed Out
- Heat Pull Away in Second Half, Rout Spurs in Game 2
- Dennis Rodman Paints Unflattering Portrait of LeBron
- Drop the Act: NBA to Increase Flopping Fines
- Tony Parker Powers Spurs Past Heat in Game 1
- Nuggets Part Ways with Coach George Karl
- Kobe will Make Effort to Keep Dwight Howard with Lakers
- Jason Kidd Retires after 19 NBA seasons
- Grizzlies Allow Coach Lionel Hollins to Talk to Other Teams
- Grant Hill Retires after 19 NBA Seasons
- Pacers Center Roy Hibbert Faces Hefty Fine for Homosexual Slur
- GM Masai Ujiri Chooses Raptors over Nuggets
- Larry Drew Shifts Coaching Job from Hawks to Bucks
- Chris Paul Mad at Clippers for Blaming Him for Coach's Firing
- Ex-Warriors Assistant Mike Malone to Coach Kings
- ESPN's Jalen Rose Ranks Tony Parker Third-Best Player in NBA
- NBA Title Worth Millions for Winning Team
- Tony Parker Carries Spurs Past Grizzlies into 2013 NBA Finals
- Bobcats Hire Steve Clifford as Head Coach
- Hawks Hire Spurs Assistant Mike Budenholzer as Head Coach
- Dirk Nowitzki Willing to Take Pay Cut to Give Mavs Salary-Cap Room