Los Angeles, CA
After days of on-and-off negotiations, the Los Angeles Clippers have finally lured coach Doc Rivers from the Boston Celtics, pending league approval.
According to a source, the Clippers will sign Rivers to a three-year, $21 million deal. As compensation, the Clippers will send a 2015 first-round pick to the Celtics.
As part of the deal, the Celtics have agreed to release Rivers from the remaining three-year deal he had with the club. The deal, however, is subject to approval by Commissioner David Stern.
Sources added that with Rivers on board, the Clippers can sign point guard Chris Paul to a maximum five-year contract before he becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1.
Earlier, it was reported that Rivers wanted to leave the Celtics after nine years at the helm because he doesn't want to be a part of a rebuilding team without Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett on the roster.
However, a source close to Rivers said that the coach is frustrated with the perception that he was the driving force behind the push to go to the Clippers.
"Doc never said any such thing," a source close to the coach said. "He just wasn't sure if he could rev himself up for years of rebuilding. He never issued any ultimatums about anyone."
The Celtics have scheduled a news conference Monday where Rivers is expected to explain his decision to leave Boston.
The Clippers are also eyeing to acquire Kevin Garnett from the Celtics in exchange for center DeAndre Jordan.
- Rockets Land Free-Agent Center Dwight Howard
- Warriors Obtain Andre Iguodala after Losing out on Dwight Howard
- Spurs Sign Marco Belinelli, Set to Lose Gary Neal to Free Agency
- Kings Trade Tyreke Evans to Pelicans in Three-Team Deal
- Standout Sixth-man J.R. Smith to Stay with Knicks
- Al Jefferson Agrees to Three-Year deal with Bobcats
- Butler's Brad Stevens Debuts in NBA as Celtics Head Coach
- Eric Bledsoe goes to Suns, J.J. Redick to Clippers in 3-team trade
- Raptors Forward Andrea Bargnani Headed to Knicks
- Raptors Express Interest in Clippers guard Eric Bledsoe
- Bernie Bickerstaff joins Cavs as assistant coach
- Heat's Ray Allen exercises $3.2-M player option
- Nets Acquire Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce from Celtics in Blockbuster
- Cavs Take Canadian Anthony Bennett with Top NBA 2013 Draft Pick
- NBA Champion Heat to bring back Mario Chalmers, Mike Miller
- Doc Rivers Gets Fresh Start as Clippers Coach
- Jazz Owner Shares Notes on Jerry Sloan - Deron Wlliams Dispute
- Nuggets Give Brian Shaw his First NBA Head Coaching Gig
- Grizzlies Promote Assistant Dave Joerger as Head Coach
- Heat celebrate second straight NBA title with parade
- Clippers Finally Lure coach Doc Rivers from Celtics
- Heat 2-1 Favorites to Three-Peat Next Season
- Kobe Bryant persuading Dwight Howard to stay with Lakers
- LeBron James leads Heat to second straight NBA title
- LeBron James, Ray Allen star as Heat force Game 7
- Kobe Bryant Hopes to Surpass Michael Jordan's Six NBA Championships
- Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili shine as Spurs take Game 5
- Nuggets Name Tim Connelly New General Manager
- Trade Doctoring: Clips Keep Eric Bledsoe Out of Deal with Celtics
- Spurs Veteran Manu Ginobili Ponders Retirement
- Nets Hire Jason Kidd over Brian Shaw as Coach
- Danny Green, Gary Neal Star as Spurs take Game 3
- Pistons Hire Maurice Cheeks as Head Coach
- Kobe Bryant Memorabilia Issue Ironed Out
- Dennis Rodman Paints Unflattering Portrait of LeBron
- Drop the Act: NBA to Increase Flopping Fines