Mike Krzyzewski to Step Down as US Hoops Team Mentor
After helping restore USA Basketball to its old glory during his seven-year stint, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski has announced that he will not return to mentor the national team after the Blue Devils' season.
In a phone interview with ESPN Radio, Krzyzewski said USA Basketball will likely name his successor this summer in preparation for the 2014 world championships in Madrid.
"I've loved, loved, loved, and it's been an honor being with the USA Basketball team," Krzyzewski said. "And to coach the team and work with chairman and president Jerry Colangelo for seven years has been marvelous."
While he leaves the team in a good spot, Krzyzewski said "we need to keep building."
He was hired by Colangelo in the wake of the team's disappointing sixth-place finish at the 2002 World Championships in Indianapolis and a bronze medal at the 2004 Olympics in Greece.
Under Krzyzewski's leadership, Team USA beat Spain in consecutive Olympic finals in Beijing in 2008 and London in 2012.
The Americans also won the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey without a single Olympian on the roster.
- Knicks' Amare Stoudemire to Undergo Knee Surgery; Out Six Weeks
- 55-foot Buzzer Beater Makes Prep Player Instant Celebrity
- Jason Kidd Adjusting to Role off Knicks bench
- Spurs May Lose Top Spot with Tony Parker Injury
- Sixers center Andrew Bynum suffers another setback in knee rehab
- Lakers Center Dwight Howard Eyes 2016 Olympics
- LeBron to Stop Warm-up Dunks, Won't Join Contest
- Ex-NBA star Dennis Rodman finds new friend in North Korean leader
- Heat's Ray Allen Sees Acting Career on Horizon
- Julian Newman, Fifth Grade Basketball Phenom
- Mike Krzyzewski to Step Down as US Hoops Team Mentor
- Thunder Sign Veteran Playmaker Derek Fisher
- NBA Trade Deadline Surprises
- Knicks Sign Kenyon Martin to 10-day Contract
- Magic Trade Redick Plus Two Teammates to Bucks for Trio of Players
- Celtics Trade Barbosa and Collins for Wizards Jordan Crawford
- Lakers Hope Dwight Howard is Center of Team's Future
- Shaq Unplugged: Dwight's Struggles, Buss
- Magic Johnson: Cavs Guard Kyrie Irving Becoming a Superstar
- Kings Give Up on Thomas Robinson, Deal Rookie to Rockets
- A Message to Michael Jordan on his 50th
- Doubting Thomas: Isiah Favors LeBron Over MJ as Athlete
- Paul and Durant Carry West to Close Win Over East
- Raptors Terrence Ross Rules NBA Slam Dunk Contest
- NBA Players Union Fires Billy Hunter as Executive Director
- Turkoglu Suspended 20 Games for Steroid Use
- Kobe Bryant Opposes Gay Slur on Twitter
- 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue
Copyright © 2013 AHN. All rights reserved