55-foot Buzzer Beater Makes Prep Player Instant Celebrity
New York, NY
New Rochelle High School senior center Khalil Edney has turned from being an average high school student to instant celebrity with one long heave.
Edney drained a 55-foot jumper as time expired to lift his ninth-seeded school to a nail-biting 61-60 upset victory over Mount Vernon Sunday in the championship game of the New York Section 1 Class AA.
"I can't believe it happened. I'm in shock right now," Edney told ESPNNewYork.com during a telephone interview hours his game-winning shot that was replayed on SportsCenter and retweeted by New York Knicks guard J.R. Smith and Duke guard Seth Curry.
Inbounding the ball under his own basket with three ticks remaining, Edney's baseball pass intended for teammate Joe Clarke was intercepted by a Mount Vernon player at mid-court, who threw the ball across midcourt to run out the clock.
However, Edney alertly caught the ball in front of the 3-point line before letting it fly literally right before time expired.
Initially, the shot was ruled no good, but the referees huddled, ultimately concluding that it would count. Replays, though inconclusive, showed the ball leaving Edney's hands at about the 0.1 second mark.
"I just threw it up. I thought it was gonna bounce off the front rim, but it was all net," Edney said. "I couldn't believe it.
The shot has made Edney an instant celebrity. He is scheduled to appear SportsCenter and the Today Show on Monday.
"I have school tomorrow. I'm just trying to be as normal as possible," said Edney, who finished with seven points and nine rebounds. Prior to his last-second heave, Edney had not hit a 3-pointer the entire season.
New Rochelle (13-9) trailed by 10 with four minutes remaining but closed the game on a 12-1 run to claim a miraculous come-from-behind victory.
A 55 foot buzzer-beater shot by New Rochelle High School's Khalil Edney to win the New York sectional men's basketball title versus Mount Vernon High School is going viral. Mt. Vernon led by two points with 2.9 seconds to go. Then after an incredible turn of events, with less than .1 seconds on the clock, Edney tossed the ball from way beyond half-court to score the win
Incredible Buzzer-Beater Leads to Basketball Title
- Kobe Bryant Out 6-9 Months with Heel Injury
- Celtics' Ainge Says Its 'Too Expensive' to Beat Up Heat's Riley
- Bulls Halt Heat Winning Streak at 27
- Sore Knee Keeps Bulls Star Derrick Rose from Returning
- Michael Jordan Visits Schools, Distributes Scholarships to Students
- Nuggets Winning Streak Validates Title Contender Label
- Heat Edge Cavaliers in Wild Comeback, Extend Streak to 24
- Sixers Center Andrew Bynum Out for Season
- Heat Equal NBA Second Best Winning Streak at 22
- Chris Wright Bucks Multiple Sclerosis to Play in NBA
- Louisville Books Top Overall Spot in March Madness
- Winning Streak Has Miami Heat Caring About Every Game
- Knicks' Amare Stoudemire to Undergo Knee Surgery; Out Six Weeks
- 55-foot Buzzer Beater Makes Prep Player Instant Celebrity
- Jason Kidd Adjusting to Role off Knicks bench
- Spurs May Lose Top Spot with Tony Parker Injury
- Sixers center Andrew Bynum suffers another setback in knee rehab
- Lakers Center Dwight Howard Eyes 2016 Olympics
- LeBron to Stop Warm-up Dunks, Won't Join Contest
- Ex-NBA star Dennis Rodman finds new friend in North Korean leader
- Heat's Ray Allen Sees Acting Career on Horizon
- Julian Newman, Fifth Grade Basketball Phenom
- Mike Krzyzewski to Step Down as US Hoops Team Mentor
- Thunder Sign Veteran Playmaker Derek Fisher
- NBA Trade Deadline Surprises
- Knicks Sign Kenyon Martin to 10-day Contract
- Magic Trade Redick Plus Two Teammates to Bucks for Trio of Players
- Celtics Trade Barbosa and Collins for Wizards Jordan Crawford
- Lakers Hope Dwight Howard is Center of Team's Future
- Shaq Unplugged: Dwight's Struggles, Buss
- Magic Johnson: Cavs Guard Kyrie Irving Becoming a Superstar
- Kings Give Up on Thomas Robinson, Deal Rookie to Rockets
- A Message to Michael Jordan on his 50th
- Doubting Thomas: Isiah Favors LeBron Over MJ as Athlete
- 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue
Copyright © 2013 AHN. All rights reserved