Chevrolet Camaro ZL1: Killer Convertible
Convertibles are supposed to be for sunny days on wide-open country roads. But the just-introduced Chevy Camaro ZL1 convertible is not like any other convertible you can name.
The Camaro is not only lightning-fast in a straight line (we think a four-second-flat 0-to-60 miles per hour time is possible), but also a very capable handler.
One obvious example of this is the fact that the supercharged cloth-top recently had its way with the famed German Nurburgring.
Those who must have performance above all else will likely choose the ZL1 coupe, but if you're buying a car to show off -- and if you buy a ZL1, there is no doubt you are trying to show off -- you won't be the slightest bit disappointed by the overall performance of the drop-top version.
According to Tom Peters, the vehicle's chief designer, the ZL1's convertible top is slightly lower -- and that much cooler -- than the Camaro coupe's. The hard work that went into the soft-top design is one of the reasons that the convertible is not the awkward sister of the coupe, but instead a very attractive sibling.
The ZL1 convertible looks good with the top up or down, but there are some aspects of the ZL1 convertible you can't get a good look at.
Invisible to the naked eye -- but still a vital part of the ZL1 convertible story -- is the third-generation Magnetic Ride Control system that employs valve-less damping and magnetorheological fluid technology to vary the suspension firmness to match the road and driving conditions. Equally invisible -- and at least equally cool -- is the Performance Traction Management system that integrates launch control, traction control, electronic stability control and electric power-steering with the Magnetic Ride Control system to give you a complete toolbox of go-fast equipment, enabling the car to do things a non-computer-equipped car couldn't even think of doing.
The performance of the Camaro ZL1 four-seat convertible can match that of the vast majority of exotic cars. That means the bang for the buck is somewhere through the roof
2012 Camaro ZL1 Takes on Nurburgring
Recent Auto News, Events & Reviews
- 2012 Honda CR-V: Singing the Same Song
- Chevrolet Camaro ZL1: Killer Convertible
- 2012 Toyota Camry: More of the Same
- Turn That Junk Car Into Cash
- Keep Your Teen Driver Safe
- Stolen Porsche Recovered After 23 Years
- Are You Drowning in Car Loans?
- Who Cares About Luxury Cars?
- Five Hot Domestics
- 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8: Modern Muscle
- Road Rage: What You Need to Do to Protect Yourself
- Best Chevy of All Time
- Car Market Going Electric
- Ford Explorer: Changing Direction
- Ford and Toyota to Develop New Hybrids
- New 2013 GS Marks Bold Step for Lexus
- Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid: Big Bang Theory
- 2012 Audi R8 GT: The Collector's Supercar
- 2012 Toyota Yaris: Sized for the Times
- Mercedes-Benz F125 Makes Loud Case for the Future
- Bad News for Detroit
- GM Enters Electric Car Joint Venture With Chinese Automaker
- Cars Talking to Cars Is Next Safety Wave
- 100 Years of Chevrolet
- 2012 Scion iQ: Great Expectations
- Heat Can Be Deadly
- Remembering the Cars of Yesteryear
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.