Liberals and conservatives prepare to face off over the public option and abortion funding once again
Senators took to the floor to pass healthcare reform legislation, marking the first time the body conducted business
Democrats are steeling themselves for the contentious process of melding the
The conventional wisdom has been that whatever healthcare bill was given the nod by the
But the public option remains a point of contention--and there are others, including rules regarding federal funding for abortion and the "Cadillac tax" on premium health plans. The crux of the complaints coming from liberals is that though the president supported the public option and a number of other reform measures, he did not fight for them. If the
This is much the approach that Rep. Raúl Grijalva, an
New York Rep.
Specifically, House Speaker
But Slaughter and Democratic Rep.
These issues promise to be particularly contentious because conservative and centrist Democrats do not seem likely to cede ground. Sen.
On other points, compromise is expected to come more easily. Labor unions are lobbying hard to fight taxes on "Cadillac" health plans, particularly after a Congressional Budget Office study found that the
Privately, some Democratic congressional staffers say that Dean had a point last week when he blasted Democrats as "not tough enough." But while the negotiations will be thorny, the political will is there to get them finished, says
- The Caring Economy and Healthcare as Human Right
- Senate Health Care Bill: Leave No Special Interest Behind
- Kathleen Kennedy Townsend vs. Catholic Church on Health Reform
- Resolved: Tell the Truth
- Why Medicare Part D Is the Answer to Health Reform
- Understanding Health Reform's Real Impact on Medicare
- There's No Place Like Home: Elderly Qualify for Wide Range of Services
- The 'Reform' That Ate America
- Congress Needs to Improve Quality of Healthcare
- Your Future Health Plan: When health reform dust settles few Americans will be unaffected
- Medicare Advantage Trims Could Affect Millions of Seniors
- Why Americans Should Not Fear Scientific Progress
- Is a 'Cash Only' or 'Direct Pay' Doctor Right for You
- Even if health care insurance worries end soon work as engaged informed patients just beginning
- Healthcare Reform and Patient Choice
Healthcare Industry jobs
Find your next job in the Healthcare Industry. Search Healthcare jobs from thousands of job and career search sites.
Healthcare - Senate Passes Healthcare Reform But Negotiations With House Will Be Tough
(c) 2009 U.S. News & World Report